Help needed - weird mutations and pest infestation

• Thread starter daredare
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
daredare

daredare

Hi guys,

Recently I got a clone of a Blue Cheese strain which seemed like a very healthy plant. It's been around 4 weeks since it got repotted in 4 gallon fabric pot and it started growing very well.

That's all until a few days ago, when I noticed some strange new growth and what seem to me some weird mutations.
Apart from the twisted and weird looking leaves what's also happening is the new growth is either: 1) with dark patches and dying, 2) it's elongated and in weird shape, 3) it's growing as a single leaf piece. The foliage is also quite discolored showing light green color for the last week. No actual yellowing and dying of the fan leaves.

My question here is: could there be an underlying issue that is causing this problem, perhaps the nutrients or the environment? Maybe it's all down to the genetics of this phenotype?

I have no clue so I'm wondering whether someone could help me identify what's going on here since this is my only plant at the moment and I'd really really like to keep it alive and well :)

Help needed   weird mutations and pest infestation
Help needed   weird mutations and pest infestation 2
Help needed   weird mutations and pest infestation 3
Help needed   weird mutations and pest infestation 4
Help needed   weird mutations and pest infestation 5
Marzcanna

Marzcanna

I have seen this before with an auto. Spider growth or something similar to that name was what poped up during my research on it during the time. I believe I cut it down. In my case it was from genetics

Homesteader

Homesteader

Twisting usually comes from pH stress but yours looks like it is pushing through it. Did you add anything like vinegar or something acidic? Could your roots be stressed? Cold?

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

I think its either root stress or too much N mucking with boron. I have yet to know the boron thing for certain. But this has happened to me from having root issues too. Not enough boron causes root issues. To much N does too....

daredare

daredare

Okay so after spending shitload of time staring at the soil to see if there's anything going on there I found some tiny bugs and flies that apparently live in it.

Does that now explain the root stress that is leading to the manifestation of these issues?
Is there anything there could be done here? What do you guys suggest is my first move here? Is there any hope for saving this poor plant?

I managed to snap a photo of the pests I found, hopefully some of you can identify what they are and how bad the situation is.

Thanks in advance to every one of you that take the time to share your thoughts and opinions here. Much appreciated!

1610061381809 01
IMG 20210106 155805
IMG 20210106 155639
1610061287907 01
Flexnerb

Flexnerb

I'd say top to bottom
Sprintail

Possible root aphid

Fungus gnat

Springtail

Homesteader

Homesteader

I don't see an root aphids. Fungus gnats are the norm with peat based soils. You can try watering a bit less and or get some BTi mosquito dunks have it in it) or you can buy BTi by itself (cheaper long-term than dunks).
The gnats start as little white larvae that look like small worms in your soil. Not a super bad pest but they do damage slowly

Marzcanna

Marzcanna

Okay so after spending shitload of time staring at the soil to see if there's anything going on there I found some tiny bugs and flies that apparently live in it.

Does that now explain the root stress that is leading to the manifestation of these issues?
Is there anything there could be done here? What do you guys suggest is my first move here? Is there any hope for saving this poor plant?

I managed to snap a photo of the pests I found, hopefully some of you can identify what they are and how bad the situation is.

Thanks in advance to every one of you that take the time to share your thoughts and opinions here. Much appreciated!

Apply some neem oil to the soil that will prevent them form eating and reproducing, water abit less and use yellow traps

daredare

daredare

So is this all due to the infestation or could there be anything else I might need to correct?

Like @Flexnerb said, perhaps too much nitrogen ? I've fed it twice in the last 20 days of BioBizz Grow nutrients with half the recommended dose but I also added a quarter dose of BioBizz bloom as well for good measure in the last feed.
Are there any proactive measures I should consider about that, maybe flush it ?

I also found very tiny white (near translucent) spider-like which I couldnt even photograph but I'd guess they are the same ones from the photos above? There are probably quite a lot of them.

@Marzcanna do you think I could do with neem flour (the photo bellow), thats the only neem-based product I've been able to find in my area.
I've also read up on vermiculite and how it has a potential use for a soil infestation by adding a top layer on the soil. Should I give that a go?

IMG 20210108 121246
IMG 20210108 121127
IMG 20210108 121210
IMG 20210108 121352
IMG 20210108 121413
IMG 20210108 121505
IMG 20210108 121300
IMG 20210108 121141
Unnamed
IMG 20210108 121505
IMG 20210108 121352
IMG 20210108 121413
IMG 20210108 121300
IMG 20210108 121246
IMG 20210108 121210
IMG 20210108 121141
IMG 20210108 121127
Zoneshityee

Zoneshityee

You can eliminate the need for fungicides by adding biostimulants

Homesteader

Homesteader

That isn't the result of insect damage. It is a nutrient issue that could be because of pH. I saw no signs of damage. Soil has tons of soil mites. Most are not bad and are needed to break down nutrients

Marzcanna

Marzcanna

So is this all due to the infestation or could there be anything else I might need to correct?

Like @Flexnerb said, perhaps too much nitrogen ? I've fed it twice in the last 20 days of BioBizz Grow nutrients with half the recommended dose but I also added a quarter dose of BioBizz bloom as well for good measure in the last feed.
Are there any proactive measures I should consider about that, maybe flush it ?

I also found very tiny white (near translucent) spider-like which I couldnt even photograph but I'd guess they are the same ones from the photos above? There are probably quite a lot of them.

@Marzcanna do you think I could do with neem flour (the photo bellow), thats the only neem-based product I've been able to find in my area.
I've also read up on vermiculite and how it has a potential use for a soil infestation by adding a top layer on the soil. Should I give that a go?

Is that product in Spanish? Funny i can read it. I haven't personally used the flour version of neem but i do believe it does the same thing so wouldn't hurt to try it. I've tried the vermiculite thing it works but i find that gnats find a way to come back especially if you water often. I say try neem & the vermiculite and than add yellow traps and you should be good

Homesteader

Homesteader

Neem comes in oil and cake. The cake is for the soil and and may help with the gnats but it is usually used against neematode

Top Bottom