Help! New Grow! Any advice greatly appreciated!

• Thread starter HerbinGrow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

HerbinGrow

Hello everyone! Excited to be a part of this group!

Going to be starting my first grow in a while in the next week or so. I have an idea of what I’m doing from research and a few small, not so impressive grows So, I have a few questions. Any help would be appreciated!

First, here’s the equipment and plan i intend to use:
-4x4x6 Mylar lined grow tent
-Sun system 250/400 Watt MH/HPS digital adjustable lamp
-400 watt MH and HPS bulbs
-25 gallon grow bags
-Cinderella 99 seeds from Growers Choice

In the past I did everything Hydroponically with an ebb and flow system, CANNA nutrients, expanded clay pebbles and small pots, with the same tent and light. I did 4 plants (Brainstorm) I would only yield around 3-4oz per plant! :(

This time around I plan on growing 3 plants each 30 days apart. (I’ll need to get another light) I’m planing to use soil for the grow and use the ebb and flow table just for water drainage. I plan on doing a 90 day grow. 30 veg/60 flower. (My hope is to harvest 1 plant every 30 days after the initial 90) 24 hrs of light during the veg then 12/12. I plan to use 25 gallon grow bags so I don’t have to transplant. Since I’m growing indoors with only 6ft of clearance I planned on using the supercrop method to keep the plant short and maximize my yield. I’m really interested in veganic cultivation and planned to use a compost tea to feed instead of nutrients.

My questions are this:
-How’s my overall plan sound?
-What soil/substrate should I use?
-How often should I feed with the compost tea?
-Should i forget about compost and use nutrients?
-And will the pot size and light wattage provide a decent yield in your opinion?
-Are my lights good? Better options?

Thank you everyone in advance for any help! I’m 100% to all opinions!

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
I run 2 600,s in a 5 x 5 with ac hoods you might want to throw more par ,ppfd at them if yields is what your looking for

H

HerbinGrow

I run 2 600,s in a 5 x 5 with ac hoods you might want to throw more par ,ppfd at them if yields is what your looking for

Im in a spare bedroom and don’t really have room for the duct work and cooling system. I’ve just used in and out fans in the past. Is this sufficient? Any other ways of cooling the room down?

Mr Bee

Mr Bee

If your just vegging until Plants show sex then flipping plants yielding 3 or 4 oz under a 400 watt hps light isn't too shabby for a new grower.not too shabby at all.most new growers expect way more weight than they usually get. I definitely did.remember that the weight of a freshly chopped plant can lose up to four fifths of its weight so if u harvest five oz of fresh chopped nugs you,l usually get about 1 oz or there abouts of dried ready to use nugs.some strains lose more weight some less but it's usually around four fifths or three quarters or there abouts.alot more weight loss than a new grower would expect.

H

HerbinGrow

If your just vegging until Plants show sex then flipping plants yielding 3 or 4 oz under a 400 watt hps light isn't too shabby for a new grower.not too shabby at all.most new growers expect way more weight than they usually get. I definitely did.remember that the weight of a freshly chopped plant can lose up to four fifths of its weight so if u harvest five oz of fresh chopped nugs you,l usually get about 1 oz or there abouts of dried ready to use nugs.some strains lose more weight some less but it's usually around four fifths or three quarters or there abouts.alot more weight loss than a new grower would expect.
Really? A buddy of mine runs pretty much the same setup with 1000w lights and yields about 1lb per plant so I was expecting closer to a hp? Crazy how much of a difference lights make!

Mr Bee

Mr Bee

If your just vegging until Plants show sex then flipping plants yielding 3 or 4 oz under a 400 watt hps light isn't too shabby for a new grower.not too shabby at all.most new growers expect way more weight than they usually get. I definitely did.remember that the weight of a freshly chopped plant can lose up to four fifths of its weight so if u harvest five oz of fresh chopped nugs you,l usually get about 1 oz or there abouts of dried ready to use nugs.some strains lose more weight some less but it's usually around four fifths or three quarters or there abouts.alot more weight loss than a new grower may expect.

H

HerbinGrow

If your just vegging until Plants show sex then flipping plants yielding 3 or 4 oz under a 400 watt hps light isn't too shabby for a new grower.not too shabby at all.most new growers expect way more weight than they usually get. I definitely did.remember that the weight of a freshly chopped plant can lose up to four fifths of its weight so if u harvest five oz of fresh chopped nugs you,l usually get about 1 oz or there abouts of dried ready to use nugs.some strains lose more weight some less but it's usually around four fifths or three quarters or there abouts.alot more weight loss than a new grower may expect.
Lol, heard

RastaZombie

RastaZombie

What about a 315 lec lamp
Ive use this in a spare bed room, worked better than i expected...

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Yeah, I’m a spare bedroom too. Not sure about lowering the wattage tho?
sounds like your g oing to have to live with your current setup. Any light you can add to bring the ppfd and par spectrums will help but then as you mentioned your limited with your cooling situation. And summer is right around the corner. But adding more light = more heat gain. My 2 600 hunnies vent out of my tent to the attic so my temp controls are excellent. Hope you find a solution that allows you to hit the mark your looking for.

H

HerbinGrow

sounds like your g oing to have to live with your current setup. Any light you can add to bring the ppfd and par spectrums will help but then as you mentioned your limited with your cooling situation. And summer is right around the corner. But adding more light = more heat gain. My 2 600 hunnies vent out of my tent to the attic so my temp controls are excellent. Hope you find a solution that allows you to hit the mark your looking for.
What’s you opinion in switching from MH/HPS to CFLs or LEDs? I know there’s a big heat difference. But is it worth it?

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
What’s you opinion in switching from MH/HPS to CFLs or LEDs? I know there’s a big heat difference. But is it worth it?
From what I have seen better led tech is the way to go. I just pulled the trigger on led but personally cant speak to it until I get a couple of runs in and compare them to my hid runs with mh/hps grows.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
my bro is killin it with his spyderx plus led but thats a 1500 dollar setup . But it is paying for itself with solid yields and he is saving a ton on his cooling /electric bills His ROI should be realized he said within 8 months at this rate.

H

HerbinGrow

my bro is killin it with his spyderx plus led but thats a 1500 dollar setup . But it is paying for itself with solid yields and he is saving a ton on his cooling /electric bills His ROI should be realized he said within 8 months at this rate.
Yes! That’s what I’ve heard about a solid LED set up! You just gotta put out the cash. Thanks for the info brotha 🤙🏼

Mr Bee

Mr Bee

Really? A buddy of mine runs pretty much the same setup with 1000w lights and yields about 1lb per plant so I was expecting closer to a hp? Crazy how much of a difference lights make!
Yes but he could be just growing one huge plant he vegged for 6 months or he could be growing in coco or hydro or a huge yeilding strain or a million other variables that can make a difference ,the most important of which is experience.
Don't get disheartened, your doing ok for a beginner. Your on the right tracks.

Mr Bee

Mr Bee

That's more than twice the watts you have so if he,s got 1lb (16oz) from a 1000w and you got 2 plants with 4 oz on each from a 400 w your doing better efficiency wise than your buddy getting a lb from a 1000w

Mr Bee

Mr Bee

Thanks Mr Bee! What’s you opinion on switching to 300w LEDs to save on heat and energy?
I personally havnt tried led yet as they'r a big investment but I know theres good ones that are way more efficient than hps and grow better quality more resinous nugs and the money you save on electricity alone makes it em well worth buying if u have the money.my bro came into a wee bit o money and he bought a couple a few days ago.lookin forward to see what they can do.if led,s what interest u then there's a sticky thread some were that sixstring started about led,s and he was churning out some truly epic nugs.most pro,s are using led,s.its just getting the upfront cost isn't straight forward if your really only growing for personal.

Latest posts

Top Bottom