Help On Trichomes Needed. Harvest Time

• Thread starter Shroomtrips
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Shroomtrips

Shroomtrips

Hi all. I have Island Sweet Skunk at 8.5 weeks in flowering. I need to harvest it asap, because wife's little brother is coming for a 2 week visit :( just wondering if someone could help me with the colour of the trichomes. Sorry for a bad quality. 60x loop and iphone 6s! lol. Thanks!

IMG 1422
IMG 1426
IMG 1429
Organikz

Organikz

I know @fatawa will not agree. I let all the fan leaves fade then juice it another couple days. You should literally be able to just touch fans and they fall off. I have a great article explaining why.

"Is it ready yet?: SpruceZeus's take on marijuana ripeness.
This is by no means meant to be the definitive guide to knowing when to chop your plant, only my views on the subject.

I'm personally of the opinion that 90% of the growers on this site (And probably in general) harvest too early. By letting the plants go a little longer you're ensuring that the've plumped as much as they're going to.
Despite popular opinion to the contrary(and don't fool yourself, the jury is still out on this one) Recent studies have shown ;contrary to what was previously believed, that THC itself (And its predecessor THC-A) are quite guilty of causing the confusion and drowsiness associated with burnout and other cannabinoids (our friend CBN, and a handful of others) to be the catalyst (along with THC) to being 'high' rather than 'baked'
Regardless, whether or not theres any substance to the aforementioned study, its easy to get the high you want.
If you want a soaring 'cerebral' high: Get yourself a tropical sativa that contains a high level of THC-V and grow it until it is ripe.
If you want the narcotic couchlock stone, grow a rugged indica until its ripe.
Notice a pattern of growing it until its ripe? Its a really good rule to live by.
OF course we have to remember that there is more to a good high than just THC. At last count there are at least 66 cannabinoids, and we don't know what most of them do.

Now alot of people will tell you that you should harvest based on the colour of your trichomes. But (again, in my opinion) that is far too simplistic and there are too many variables to make that an effective strategy. I've made that point a million times before and i'm not going to re-hash it here,(maybe just a bit) but rest assured there is more to the picture than just trich colour.

A ripe marijuana plant will be filled in, will have an amber tinge to the buds. The pistils should have browned (or orange-d) off and receded into the buds. The seed bracts should be swollen and the trichomes should be sticking straight out with bulbous ends. Also, because you're coming close to the end of plant's life cycle, the leaves should have yellowed off and started to die.

one of my plants, 3 days before chop-chop.

Another very important (imho) reason to let your plants mature is Terpenoid production. Terpenes are responsible for alot of the complex (And enjoyable) flavours that cannabis produces. Some of the most intense flavours are produced on the "downslope" of cannabis's life cycle. My personal experience with this first came when i was growing GH cheese. One of the plants i harvested at 8 weeks and it tasted pretty nice and had pretty dense buds. The other i grew until about 9 1/2 weeks and it had most amazing, sour, skunky, delicious taste with rock hard buds"

Last edited:
Monster762

Monster762

Keep in mind time to dry too. I see good bit clear still. If you have a few days shut lights out n leave them out. Personally never tried it but will this this harvest. Supposedly it helps a good finish. Give it day or 2 dark. Then chop n hang or whatever method you planned for harvest. I am started 12/12 with 11 hrs dark. I moved to 11-1/2 1 week in. 12 this week coming up. And so on. I am going to stop scaling up the dark at 13 hrs dark then once I see it's getting there I'm going to run 14 hrs dark for last week or so.

(This is just a test) get other opinions or research before just taking my words.

. I've read a lot on it and nowhere does it say it hurts production or quality. Everything leads toward increased trich production and good frosty nugs. All I've read only goes to 13 dark. I'm going to push an hour more at the end. That's my experiment in the works Looking nice though. Enjoy.

Shroomtrips

Shroomtrips

My lights are 10/14 atm. Ive been reducing light hours daily for almost a week from 12 to 10. I cant let them mature properly. Have to chop asap. I got a week to dry them too. There was lots of yellow fan leaves which i ripped off btw. Clear/cloudy will have to do. Its a shame really that i waited so long and i have to chop them prematuraly :(

Monster762

Monster762

My lights are 10/14 atm. Ive been reducing light hours daily for almost a week from 12 to 10. I cant let them mature properly. Have to chop asap. I got a week to dry them too. There was lots of yellow fan leaves which i ripped off btw. Clear/cloudy will have to do. Its a shame really that i waited so long and i have to chop them prematuraly :(
Oh if you only got a week you're def tight on time unless you quick dry which is not best. If they gotta go they gotta go though

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Let me know how you like the iss. I ran it before. If you can do 6 days of 75* amd 50%rh, the day before xompany comes over, you should be able to has them up. But will need to burp the jars daily to rid the built up moisture.

Polar510

Polar510

Those are some nice stalks dude!!!
It Sucks to take it down early. I have been there Myself , but I always forget to care after I harvest it:)

Shroomtrips

Shroomtrips

Those are some nice stalks dude!!!
It Sucks to take it down early. I have been there Myself , but I always forget to care after I harvest it:)
Thanks man! Give me a month roughly and I will be able to tell whats what lol. I will cure it properly for 3-4 weeks, will see how it turns out. Maybe she is, as Organikz said, within harvest window. I was looking with my 60x loop at Jack Herer, I could see some amber trichs too.

Shroomtrips

Shroomtrips

Let me know how you like the iss. I ran it before. If you can do 6 days of 75* amd 50%rh, the day before xompany comes over, you should be able to has them up. But will need to burp the jars daily to rid the built up moisture.
Yooo! ISS was is and will be my favorite stuff. I love it since the first time i smoked it. Fruity skunky taste, nice high. No anxiety, no paranoia(big problem for me). Lots of laugh and a very nice sleep. I cured them for over a month tho. Love it! 10 out of 10

Organikz

Organikz

Yooo! ISS was is and will be my favorite stuff. I love it since the first time i smoked it. Fruity skunky taste, nice high. No anxiety, no paranoia(big problem for me). Lots of laugh and a very nice sleep. I cured them for over a month tho. Love it! 10 out of 10
Lmao. You disappeared. Were you in a 2.5 month haze...lol.

Shroomtrips

Shroomtrips

Pretty much yes! But really i dont come here unless im running a garden... after 2.5 months i started something so here i am giving my smoke report... :))

Top Bottom