Help Plz! Leaf mutations + other leaf concerns

• Thread starter S.WestFarmer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S.WestFarmer

S.WestFarmer

Hello, this is my second shot at growing. First time where i can actually watch them daily. Anyway, its in a 5 gal dwc bucket, running two 300w Viparspectras. Got a good air pump and stone. Fox Farm Trio Nutes. The temps are avg 73-78 most times through "day" and "night" is maybe 68-72 Fahrenheit . Rarely i will have a temp fluctuation where i will go as high as 83.8, and my lowest has been 65.3. Not often that has happened. i keep my PH between 5.75 and max sit at 6.1. Only once has PH gone up passed 6.5, where it landed at 7 even. Humidity is usually staying between 40-70 percent, more often 50+. The leaves show yellow spots sometimes with tears. One leaf is turning black on the end as you could see. And another is starting to get some yellow discoloration. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Any other info ned just let me know. Thank you!

Fureafgsqzoiugzyxtoaqwjpg
Help plz leaf mutations  other leaf concerns 2
Help plz leaf mutations  other leaf concerns 3
Help plz leaf mutations  other leaf concerns 4
Help plz leaf mutations  other leaf concerns 5
Help plz leaf mutations  other leaf concerns 6
S.WestFarmer

S.WestFarmer

well, i"m gonna go with my hunch, being a calmag deficiency. The deformation i guess is not important. I will be getting cal mag within the next couple of days so i will keep it posted. Thanks.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Your nutrients are to high and that issue could be caused by ph swings you had. After leaves are damage the don't get better. It's hard to tell under those blurple lights.

S.WestFarmer

S.WestFarmer

alright, thanks for the response. I been using a little under half of recommended dosage on nute bottles, but i could taper off some more. I need to get myself a ppm meter and get better acquainted with the levels that are suitable for the ladies haha. I'll upload a couple more pics when they wake back up in a few hours. I'll make sure to turn off the lights. Thanks again Aqua

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
A Ph below 6.0 is too acidic in my opinion. When it gets low, it can make some nutrients unavailable to the plant, called nute lock. The problem is when the Ph swings back towards 7.0, when all of the previously locked out nutrients are suddenly available...going from a deficiency to an overdose. Fox Farms stuff is usually pretty strong or hot, in my opinion. Using half is wise, but I think your problem lies in your poor control of the Ph. I would shoot for 6.5 and strive to keep it there... this should be in the proper range or all needed nutrients to be available to the plant's roots.

S.WestFarmer

S.WestFarmer

Jimster, appreciate the reply man. My only question is, 6.5 for hydro? I’ve read and seen charts that say between 5.5-6.5. According to the charts, 5.75-6 seem to be where most nutrients are taken up. Not high enough to miss a couple which are absorbed at about 5.7, and not too low to where it misses those that are absorbed around the 6.0 mark.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Jimster, appreciate the reply man. My only question is, 6.5 for hydro? I’ve read and seen charts that say between 5.5-6.5. According to the charts, 5.75-6 seem to be where most nutrients are taken up. Not high enough to miss a couple which are absorbed at about 5.7, and not too low to where it misses those that are absorbed around the 6.0 mark.
Truthfully, I have never grown hydro in my years, just sticking to my same basic formula for the last 35 years. Hydro might be different than soil-less, such as Promix, which is what I use. I would think that a Ph of 5.5 would affect roots in the same fashion, but I could be wrong on my assumptions. The plants look pretty healthy to me other than possibly being a little light green, although that could easily be a camera/monitor issue. Please keep us up to date with updates!

S.WestFarmer

S.WestFarmer

Oh man I sure wish I had the thumb for soil growing. I’ve tried my hand at 6 soil plants and I either over water, or over feed.
The light green is definitely there, on the lower part of the plant. I surely will keep you all updated! I changed my res this morning so I’m hoping that’ll do something good with the lady. I recently transplanted last weekend as well, forgot to mention that.

S.WestFarmer

S.WestFarmer

right on Aqua, thank you. I usually do the same, let it run between 5.75-6.1. Maybe i just need to educate myself more with the PPM's and nutrient deficiencies.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

right on Aqua, thank you. I usually do the same, let it run between 5.75-6.1. Maybe i just need to educate myself more with the PPM's and nutrient deficiencies.
Yeah it looks like your a little rich on the nutrients even a cheapo ppm meter with calibration fluid will get ya by but it's a tool you really need. You can tell exactly the strength of nutrients your plants need with daily readings.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Oh man I sure wish I had the thumb for soil growing. I’ve tried my hand at 6 soil plants and I either over water, or over feed.
The light green is definitely there, on the lower part of the plant. I surely will keep you all updated! I changed my res this morning so I’m hoping that’ll do something good with the lady. I recently transplanted last weekend as well, forgot to mention that.
After posting my earlier post, I had to go and check the PH for soil VS hydro, and you are correct. Growing in Promix is horribly simple. I had a guy show me over 35 years ago and I have never had a problem since... with just a few materials. If you ever want to try it, just send me a PM and I'll tell you a guaranteed winner Cheaply, too!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

It will differ from strain to strain but I have also noticed more problems once you get above 6.1 than if you go below 5.8. I have run 5.5 with no problems but for some reason above 6.2 I start seeing some early issues.

Once you get a ppm meter and dial in the feed an easy way to continue with no problems is to calculate the water added back. Once you add back the volume of your dwc so in your case about 4 gallons you change all the water with fresh nutes. It is more than needed but for beginners it will eliminate all the guess work for you.

S.WestFarmer

S.WestFarmer

It will differ from strain to strain but I have also noticed more problems once you get above 6.1 than if you go below 5.8. I have run 5.5 with no problems but for some reason above 6.2 I start seeing some early issues.

Once you get a ppm meter and dial in the feed an easy way to continue with no problems is to calculate the water added back. Once you add back the volume of your dwc so in your case about 4 gallons you change all the water with fresh nutes. It is more than needed but for beginners it will eliminate all the guess work for you.
Alright, I will taper down on the nutes man, see how that works out for me. I will look into some cheapy’s, but I saw a Hanna PH/PPM meter for $200 that I’m really considering. It’s easy to work with and read. And what do you mean by calculate the water added back?

S.WestFarmer

S.WestFarmer

After posting my earlier post, I had to go and check the PH for soil VS hydro, and you are correct. Growing in Promix is horribly simple. I had a guy show me over 35 years ago and I have never had a problem since... with just a few materials. If you ever want to try it, just send me a PM and I'll tell you a guaranteed winner Cheaply, too!
35 years is amazing! I’d be more than glad to gain some wisdom from you. I will be PM’ing you soon after I leave this family gathering and get back to my computer! Thank you for the kind gesture.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Alright, I will taper down on the nutes man, see how that works out for me. I will look into some cheapy’s, but I saw a Hanna PH/PPM meter for $200 that I’m really considering. It’s easy to work with and read. And what do you mean by calculate the water added back?
Good meter. Most ppl don't want to spend that much but that's a good option.

By add back I mean you make a fresh res with nutrients. The plants will drink up the water and you will top it back up with nutrient solution you mix and ph before adding to bring the water level back up to about 1" below the net pot. The amount you have to add back into the dwc is your add back. So maybe it's half a gallon. You write down each time you have to add back to the dwc and when you have added back in your case 4 gallons, you dump the entire res and make up with fresh water and nutrients. This will prevent salt buildup in your system.

So when you have a ppm meter you can tell how much nutrients the plant wants by taking daily readings. If the ppm stays the same it's perfect. if the ppm is increasing you are feeding to much. If your ppm is falling you are feeding to little.

When you add nutes back if your ppm is the same just mix nutes to the same ppm and add back.

If your ppm is falling mix nutrients at 130% and add back

If your ppm is raising mix nutrients at 70% and add back.

Once you add back a total of 4 gallons you dump the res and repeat.

It's easy once you do it even though it sounds like alot. No guessing and your plants are getting exactly the nutrient levels they want.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Also it's much easier to correct a deficiency than over feeding. So your are better off feeding to little to start than to much. More food does not equal more growth and probably one of the most common mistake by new growers

Top Bottom