Help Set up/give advice on my coco grow

• Thread starter Kush-breeder
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

Kush-breeder

Hello to everyone at the farm. I am new here but have run a few outdoor grows. For my first indoor run i want to use a coco/perlite mix because of the benefits over soil.This next run i want to try a 50/50 coco/perlite mix. I will be starting them off under a 400w MH and adding another 400w HPS at the beginning of flowering.Here is my take on this way of growing.plz fix my mistakes, fill in the gaps and give your advice ! The strains i plan to run are Strawberry Dog and Uk Cheese x Highland Nepalese. Not to shure if I'm going to bud em, look for moms, or make a shit load of seeds. Either way its going to be fun!
-flush coco and adjust ph to 5.8(should i use some final flush?)
-allow to dry out
-add perlite and adjust ph to 5.8
-allow to dry out
-put you little sprouts into coco/perlit mix in 4L pots (wet soil first with bottled water 5.8 ph)
-ph can drift from 5.5 to 6.3
-what is the max the ph can change bettween each watering?
-if i water with 5.8ph should the run of be 5.8?
-I plan is to water my plants once per day right when lights come on. I will be hand watering.
-how much water do you think a
-seedling
-veging
-flowering plant
will need per day?
-does growing like this make your plants sensitive to nutes like hydroponics( you should on use half what the bottle says to)?
-can the fox farm line be used with this system?
-should i use bottle water or my house water( private well in southern Canada. No RO or any kind of filter other than a dirt one on the pump. so its straight water from the well, best tasting water I've ever drank lol)
-temp i know i can maintain i my grow room 72.5-77-night 60-67
-humidity i know i can maintain in my grow room 40-50%
-is chunky or fine coco preferred in this type of grow.
Here are the two kinds of coco i can get locally, with one would be better?

Overview

Greensoils-Coconut Fibre

- Growing medium, alternative to peat
- 100% organic
- Environmentally friendly
- Expands to 6 times its volume
- High moisture/ air retention capacity
- Super root growth pH 5.4 - 6.8
- Neutral substance maintains beneficial
microbes
- No added chemicals
- Improves soil drainage system
- High lignin content (70%)
- Free from weed seeds and pathogens

Overview

Greensoils-Coconut Fibre Coir

- Expands 8-9 times its volume
- Growing medium alternative to peat
- 100% organic - enviromentally friendly
- For indoor and outdoor use
- High moisture/air retention capacity
- Super root growth pH 5.4- 6-8
- Neutral substance maintains beneficial
microbes
- No added chemicals
- Improves soil drainage system
- High lignin content (70%)
- Free from weed seeds and pathogens
- Can be used for growing young foliage plants
and vegetables, as welll as a substrate for
potted plants and tree seedlings

ps: I might even start a thread when everything is up and going.
Peace to all KB.:smiley_joint:

G

GroHi

KB~ I've got a great OCD doctor we can share! ;-)

In order that I read them:
- take enough cuttings from each before you flip them to ensure you will get a strong genetic back-up
- flip the donating mums to get a test crop out of them
- use this info to decide what to do next.

- never dry your coir between anything... once you hydrate/flush/prep... keep it wet from then till you harvest.

- 50/50 is fine, just may not hold as much moisture between feeds is all.

- you'll be feeding daily, so the pH won't drift more than .2 in either direction... unless something is wrong like you let the coir dry out between feeds. 5.5~6.4 is just fine, as long as it is somewhat consistent.

- this feed schedule will be determined by first & foremost... how dry the coir is getting. When the tops begin to dry out a little... a thin layer of dry coir up top... time to water/feed. This is good for starts & basically throughout.
- the only alternative to this is when the plants begin to get hungry between feeds... then I'll increase feed rates first, then & only if needed, the overall nute strength
- btw, this means feeding the seeds starts every other day, not every day... too much to start.

- I'd start the strengths at 400 seeds/clones, 700 seedlings starting to actually grow, 840 veg/start flower, 950-1050 peak flower. These are general/lower levels, but seem to work pretty well... though a ton of variables will influence the actual feed rates/mixes.

- you might have great water out of the well there... what are the ppm's? If around 150 or lower, then that should be fine. Jugs will be a lot of hauling to & from the store...

- the lower the humidity the better... good luck having it too low... wish I had that problem in particular!

- don't know, would have to sample. If you flush/pretreat, then it really doesn't matter. You will essentially be picking coir to get the consistency/drainage you desire. Try a chunky coir vs the perlite... like Atami Bounce. Stay away from CCCan Croutons.

K... I've now lost track... we'll have to co-author a book some time! ;-)) Peace brother

K

Kush-breeder

1- never dry your coir between anything... once you hydrate/flush/prep... keep it wet from then till you harvest.

2- this feed schedule will be determined by first & foremost... how dry the coir is getting. When the tops begin to dry out a little... a thin layer of dry coir up top... time to water/feed. This is good for starts & basically throughout.
- the only alternative to this is when the plants begin to get hungry between feeds... then I'll increase feed rates first, then & only if needed, the overall nute strength
- btw, this means feeding the seeds starts every other day, not every day... too much to start.

- I'd start the strengths at 400 seeds/clones, 700 seedlings starting to actually grow, 840 veg/start flower, 950-1050 peak flower. These are general/lower levels, but seem to work pretty well... though a ton of variables will influence the actual feed rates/mixes.

3- you might have great water out of the well there... what are the ppm's? If around 150 or lower, then that should be fine. Jugs will be a lot of hauling to & from the store...

K... I've now lost track... we'll have to co-author a book some time! ;-)) Peace brother[/QUOTE]

lol for shure GH.

1-so what your saying is that i should never let my coco/perlite fully dry. just an inch down?

2-watering schedule/feeding schedule
week 1(sprout to young plant)-400ppm every second watering(ph 5.5-6.4 water every other day)
week 2(young plant starting to shoot out shoots and grow more rapidly-700ppm every second watering(water every other day)
week 3/(plants start "veg" through out early flower)-840ppm every second/every time if needed.
flowering- 950ppm every watering
peak flowering- 1050 every watering

PPM can be up of down a bit depending strain/other influence.

(plz correct if wrong)

So say my nutes ph is at 5.8 and my water ph is at 6.3, would this be a problem and should i bring my ph down to 5.8 in the water?

getting a PPM and PH meter this weekend so ill let you know.

Peace to all KB

G

GroHi

1. Right, once the coir dries... pH usually drops (a lot) & the ppm's spike. My plants show immediate drooping & macro def along w some random spotting... the K really shows for me for some reason. It takes a good 2 days to recover (& even then there is loss overall in either time or total growth). Coir rehydrates well, but the damage is done.

2. Yeah, thereabouts. You can adjust upwards as nec... doubt you will need to go lower... but a lot of variables... strains, temps, humidity, vigor, etc.... Also, you need to feed w nutes each & every watering... coir is a hydro medium, not a soil/peat-like. I even flush w a 350 solution (weekly, not the end flush). So, water as needed, but w nutes each time... this is talking drain2waste, top-fed.

3. 6.3 is just fine in coir. In fact, I'd run it higher (6.1~6.5) early on as the pH is usually lower at first. Then I just shoot for 6.0 at the mix. Easy as pie.

4. PPM meter is a must... all about the same, pretty basic technology. pH meters are very problematic & a complicated piece of technology. They work... spent over a G on them myself. pH drops for $8 at the local is just as good. Just learn the coloring & you'll be great... play w some pH up/down w plain water to see the ranges of color in solution.

Peace brother!

J

Jalisco Kid

I disagree with the low RH especially in veg. I keep mine 65-70% RH JK

Latest posts

Top Bottom