Help..Top leaves are curling up/taco

• Thread starter Gasman5.0
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Gasman5.0

Gasman5.0

Soil is MG potting mix 25qt,coco 1.4#,perlite 8qt and peat moss 6qt.
Indoor grow with 4 plants in 5 gal buckets in a sealed A/C controlled room (77degrees/45~55% humidity) 1000W led running a 24hr lightcycle set 16~20” above plants.

Data from last feed which was 5 days ago.
Feeding each plant 2000ml /MG- 24-8-16 @ 325ppm/6.18ph

Runoff 35~65ml

A). 110ppm 5.84ph

B)127ppm 4.98ph

C)116ppm. 5.11ph

D) 208ppm 5.25Ph

Noticed the upper leaves taco-ing bending upwards so I shot the leaves with my temp gun and they were 80~81.7 *F so I just now raised my light and bumped the A/C temp down too 77 from 78.5 and I’ve been feeding MG @ 500 ppm / PH 5.8~6.5 using bottled spring water every watering but the last watering I backed it down 325ppm do too slight curling upwards I seen on new growth at the time of watering. Since the last watering/feed 5 days ago the taco-ing showed up on the upper big leaves. I’ve been searching post for help and reading lots of curling post and someone mentioned low soil runoff ph as issue with nutes locked out from overfeed... IDK perhaps my soil need a good flush... I’m due for another watering here in one or two days and I plan flipping too 12/12 cycle in about 9 days.

Any advice or guidance would be very much appreciated. I’ll add this is my first grow.. I’m noob here learning everyday and loving it.

Thanks...

Helptop leaves are curling uptaco
Helptop leaves are curling uptaco 2
Helptop leaves are curling uptaco 3
Helptop leaves are curling uptaco 4
Helptop leaves are curling uptaco 5
Helptop leaves are curling uptaco 6
Helptop leaves are curling uptaco 7
Helptop leaves are curling uptaco 8
Helptop leaves are curling uptaco 9
Helptop leaves are curling uptaco 10
Helptop leaves are curling uptaco 11
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Could be heat, but that's also exactly how russet mite damage presents. I'd scope under the leaves with a magnifier or loupe looking for extremely small, 1/2mm long reddish brownish insects.

I had a plant in the living room window do this recently, looked exactly like that. I scoped it yesterday and sure enough it had russets. Into the burn pile it went.

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Could be heat, but that's also exactly how russet mite damage presents. I'd scope under the leaves with a magnifier or loupe looking for extremely small, 1/2mm long reddish brownish insects.

I had a plant in the living room window do this recently, looked exactly like that. I scoped it yesterday and sure enough it had russets. Into the burn pile it went.
Yes sorry I forget you guys get Russet mite I’m in Australia I haven’t seen russet mite over here .. good call Dirtbag .OD .

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Not positive, but I've circled what could be a couple russets chillin on the leaf surface.
20200605 154104

Gasman5.0

Gasman5.0

I checked that one whole plant from the leaf Dirtbag circled for russets and it’s clean, I’ll pull them all out one at time in the morning for watering and do a very inspection. Those dots on the leaf are particles from the ceiling, I was working on the light and mounting a fan in the room and the A/C blew dirt dust particles all over.

I raised my light a good bit and also plugged my timer back in and set it 20/4 cycle so maybe some 😴 sleepy time and less heat will turn them around... I’ll see how they are responding over the next few days.

FourthCity

FourthCity

I checked that one whole plant from the leaf Dirtbag circled for russets and it’s clean, I’ll pull them all out one at time in the morning for watering and do a very inspection. Those dots on the leaf are particles from the ceiling, I was working on the light and mounting a fan in the room and the A/C blew dirt dust particles all over.

I raised my light a good bit and also plugged my timer back in and set it 20/4 cycle so maybe some 😴 sleepy time and less heat will turn them around... I’ll see how they are responding over the next few days.
Why not go 18/6? Save money on electricity, extend lamp life, further reduce heat...

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Good chance it's just the heat causing it. But having just had russets myself... you know how it goes, now everyone's plants showing the same signs have russets lol

But still I thought mine was watering related for a few days before I decided to scope for bugs. I only found one.. They are notoriously hard to find. A friend of mine had them in a 20'x20' room with about 40 plants all suffering the signs of russet damage and he looked for, something like 3 days straight before he saw a single mite. But that's what it was. Most people think the signs are a nutrient deficiency or stress related, but its actually caused by a toxic chemical in their saliva that makes the plants go all deformed and stunts their growth.

Gasman5.0

Gasman5.0

Why not go 18/6? Save money on electricity, extend lamp life, further reduce heat...

All good valid points for 18/6 cycle.

I ran a 20/4 cycle from seedling up until 5/28 with no signs of stress so that’s my reasoning for returning them back too the 20/4 cycle.

Looking back in my log I noted very slight leaf curl after the 24 light cycle switch but I contributed the curling too me over feeding. I slightly increased my feed ppm when I went from 20/4 too 24.
I noted my runoff PH was very low on the last feeding (4.9X~5.2XPH) and since that time the leaf curling has went from just new growth too some curling the top established leaves where before it was just the new growth only curling and after a short time straightening out as new growth happened and curled. My MG potting soil has time released ferts I believe... I am feeding every water and the first feed was at was 200ppm... plants responded so I increase 325ppm..looked good inc too 425 looking good then light cycle inc. 24H along with increased feed in at 525ppm. They are thirsty this morning so today they will get a little flush with plain ph adjusted spring water with no additional fertilizer and I’ll wait an see how each one responds.

Thanks guy’s for taking the time helping me out and sharing your knowledge. I’m a noob farmer 👩‍🌾 and all guidance is much appreciated.

FourthCity

FourthCity

All good valid points for 18/6 cycle.

I ran a 20/4 cycle from seedling up until 5/28 with no signs of stress so that’s my reasoning for returning them back too the 20/4 cycle.

Looking back in my log I noted very slight leaf curl after the 24 light cycle switch but I contributed the curling too me over feeding. I slightly increased my feed ppm when I went from 20/4 too 24.
I noted my runoff PH was very low on the last feeding (4.9X~5.2XPH) and since that time the leaf curling has went from just new growth too some curling the top established leaves where before it was just the new growth only curling and after a short time straightening out as new growth happened and curled. My MG potting soil has time released ferts I believe... I am feeding every water and the first feed was at was 200ppm... plants responded so I increase 325ppm..looked good inc too 425 looking good then light cycle inc. 24H along with increased feed in at 525ppm. They are thirsty this morning so today they will get a little flush with plain ph adjusted spring water with no additional fertilizer and I’ll wait an see how each one responds.

Thanks guy’s for taking the time helping me out and sharing your knowledge. I’m a noob farmer 👩‍🌾 and all guidance is much appreciated.
Just curious, why do more than 18 hours of light in the first place?

Gasman5.0

Gasman5.0

Researched that same very question here in-depth and with countless hours of reading 18/6 vs 20/4 vs 24/0 I came too the conclusion that growers who grow 18/6 swear by it and so did the ones who 20/4 and 24/0, The 20/4 and 24/0 growers claim too have had more growth than they did with 18/6 plus a shorter total overall seed too harvest with the 24/0. I originally went 20/4 in the belief the plants need sleep. I recently went 24/0 just too see how they would respond for the next couple of weeks before I switched too the 12/12 cycle.

FourthCity

FourthCity

Researched that same very question here in-depth and with countless hours of reading 18/6 vs 20/4 vs 24/0 I came too the conclusion that growers who grow 18/6 swear by it and so did the ones who 20/4 and 24/0, The 20/4 and 24/0 growers claim too have had more growth than they did with 18/6 plus a shorter total overall seed too harvest with the 24/0. I originally went 20/4 in the belief the plants need sleep. I recently went 24/0 just too see how they would respond for the next couple of weeks before I switched too the 12/12 cycle.
Fair enough, a few last points though. Even assuming it has helped those growers speed up their harvest time and increase growth, did they provide any evidence that it was enough of a benefit to counteract the 33% decrease in lamp life, the 33% increase in lighting/electric cost, and the likely even more substantial increase in cost for a/c (or loss of crop due to heat stress)? Not trying to knock your grow, your plants look good enough that I wouldn't even be that worried. My a/c went out a few weeks ago (finally getting fixed on monday) and lets just say I have some seriously grande tacos that make your plants look normal. The small amount of curl in your leaves on otherwise healthy looking plants tells me that going to 6 hours of darkness will probably solve your problem (not to mention giving you all the other benefits I mentioned), especially considering that from the sound of it things got worse when you switched to 24/0.

Gasman5.0

Gasman5.0

Fair enough, a few last points though. Even assuming it has helped those growers speed up their harvest time and increase growth, did they provide any evidence that it was enough of a benefit to counteract the 33% decrease in lamp life, the 33% increase in lighting/electric cost, and the likely even more substantial increase in cost for a/c (or loss of crop due to heat stress)? Not trying to knock your grow, your plants look good enough that I wouldn't even be that worried. My a/c went out a few weeks ago (finally getting fixed on monday) and lets just say I have some seriously grande tacos that make your plants look normal. The small amount of curl in your leaves on otherwise healthy looking plants tells me that going to 6 hours of darkness will probably solve your problem (not to mention giving you all the other benefits I mentioned), especially considering that from the sound of it things got worse when you switched to 24/0.

Several guy’s had that same conversation/ debate on cost vs harvest and a couple of growers who seemed too be very seasoned / experienced stood firmly by their harvest/cycle periods and quoted some cost figures and that brought too light the drastically differences in cost we pay for a kw in different parts of the country and the world. Could it be their strain’s genetics 🧬was the key and not the light cycle.. idk but it was some interesting reading and food for thought.

I’ll drop them down too 18/6 starting tomorrow till 12/12 cycle. More rest and less heat certainly want hurt them as you said.
Thanks for the help.

CannabisWizardGuy

CannabisWizardGuy

Several guy’s had that same conversation/ debate on cost vs harvest and a couple of growers who seemed too be very seasoned / experienced stood firmly by their harvest/cycle periods and quoted some cost figures and that brought too light the drastically differences in cost we pay for a kw in different parts of the country and the world. Could it be their strain’s genetics 🧬was the key and not the light cycle.. idk but it was some interesting reading and food for thought.

I’ll drop them down too 18/6 starting tomorrow till 12/12 cycle. More rest and less heat certainly want hurt them as you said.
Thanks for the help.
please help bro, my plants look literally so similar to yours, exact same coloring and shit its crazy, first pic ive found that is exactly like mine...did you end up having russets? ive spent a few days tryna get the light and heat down and its not changed the slight cupping/tacoing on my plant, but otherwise looks great. I ordered a scope but wont be here till tm...please console me friend

Top Bottom