Help Transplanting from 4” jiffy pot

• Thread starter Foster823
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Foster823

Foster823

Bro inlaw germinated to many seeds and was tossing them so I grabbed 3. 2 photos and a auto all were germinacted in jiffy pellets then into 4” jiffy pots. The photos are a touch stretchy. Ive never grown photos just autos so I’m wondering what is the best path from here. Do I remove from the 4” pot or will the roots bust through. These hold enough water to drink out of . They are filled with happy frog soil and I looking to transplant to 5gal fabric for final Pot with FFOF. Just looking for advice on ways to accomplish this without to much shock. I don’t plan on doing the auto and just rolling with it. thanks for any advice.

Help transplanting from 4 jiffy pot
Help transplanting from 4 jiffy pot 2
mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

The roots are supposed to break through, but not in any timely manner, IMO.

I would water it good and tear away the peat pot. Peat pots are good when growing garden veggies, but they slow down root growth for cannabis if you leave them on.

Foster823

Foster823

Everyone thanks for all the feedback. I was able to transplant the white widow with no issues but unfortunately the blue dream the bottom fell apart. Hoping for the best at this point.

D

dirty.joe

unfortunately the blue dream the bottom fell apart. Hoping for the best at this point.
I wouldn't worry about it, I've dropped a small plant before, and the whole root ball fell apart, a week later you would not know it. That said I would not do it on purpose, but they are tougher then we tend to think.

Yes I'm new here, but agree with the others to remove the peat pot. If in the future you ever use these kind of pots again, water from the bottom right from the start. That way the pot will be moister, and therefore softer, and by 3 weeks the plants' roots will be coming out through it, then you can plant pot and all without any slow down.

Foster823

Foster823

I wouldn't worry about it, I've dropped a small plant before, and the whole root ball fell apart, a week later you would not know it. That said I would not do it on purpose, but they are tougher then we tend to think.

Yes I'm new here, but agree with the others to remove the peat pot. If in the future you ever use these kind of pots again, water from the bottom right from the start. That way the pot will be moister, and therefore softer, and by 3 weeks the plants' roots will be coming out through it, then you can plant pot and all without any slow down.
Thanks I’ll do this with the one auto before I put in final pot

7munkee

7munkee

Dirty Joe is right. They are a tough species. I've had branches break off and then just package-taped them back on and they flowered not nice. These plants WANT to live.

nashobaTHC

nashobaTHC

I use plastic 4” square starter pots. When plants are 3-4 weeks old just a firm tap on the bottom releases the plant and roots very nicely. Just plant and enjoy the grow.

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

!@#$ Jiffy anything - pots, pellets you name it. Garbage products that do nothing but restrict growth and make your life miserable. Cut it off and remove it before transplanting.

As @nashobaTHC said 4" plastic nursery pots are simple easy and effective

This is of course my $0.02

HighRootz

HighRootz

I poke a bunch of holes in the bottom and side so the roots can easily break thru them with no problems. These was in 2in peat pots before going straight to 5gal pots(1gal pot in front was straight bean in dirt lol)
20220514 122853

freezeland2

freezeland2

!@#$ Jiffy anything - pots, pellets you name it. Garbage products that do nothing but restrict growth and make your life miserable. Cut it off and remove it before transplanting.

As @nashobaTHC said 4" plastic nursery pots are simple easy and effective

This is of course my $0.02
Yep

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

Bro inlaw germinated to many seeds and was tossing them so I grabbed 3. 2 photos and a auto all were germinacted in jiffy pellets then into 4” jiffy pots. The photos are a touch stretchy. Ive never grown photos just autos so I’m wondering what is the best path from here. Do I remove from the 4” pot or will the roots bust through. These hold enough water to drink out of . They are filled with happy frog soil and I looking to transplant to 5gal fabric for final Pot with FFOF. Just looking for advice on ways to accomplish this without to much shock. I don’t plan on doing the auto and just rolling with it. thanks for any advice.
If you use jiffy pots in the future,drill a bunch of small holes in them everywhere for the roots to have an easier time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom