Help with deciding between deficiency or burn

• Thread starter Dankinator
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

Dankinator

I have 8 plants growing in 1 gallon coco/ perlite mix. Each pot gets watered with sensi blooms ph perfect nutes as recommended. I have tried to follow 10-30% run off plan and made sure to remove any residual water from collection tray. I also compost tea weekly with revive and myko wp. My run off is a tad high at 6.61 but within range. My leafs are developing spots a few holes and tips turning brownish black. New growth is still health yet light green

Fromunda506

Fromunda506

Pics would help. Also more information, like what stage the plants are in, autos/photos, etc.

That said, the best way I have found to way to tell is by comparing the EC or ppm of your runoff to your feed. This will tell you whether she is eating everything and hungry or leaving nutrients in the coco to build up and burn. That number is usually what matters to me. Once you get it synced up so your runoff is right in the neighborhood of your feed, your pH should level right off to whatever you are adjusting it to in your feeds. If your numbers are right on and she still looks like she’s burning, good chance your VPD is out of range a bit. My grow gets overly dry in the winter and there’s jack shit I can do about it. Causes my girls to get burnt tips even when their nutrients are dead on and they are happy as hell. Hope that helps. Cheers

D

Dankinator

The first two are clones from a dispo. Not sure on age. The rest are from seed, they sprouted and were planted on oct 16th. I transplanted from solo cups about 2-3 weeks ago. I have had issues with temp fluctuations 80-60 (it’s been a weird winter) my average temps are 75 day 65 nigh and a steady humidity of 45-50% my vpd average is 1.4kpa. I am about to water will respond with ppm and ph of runoff shortly

T

Titleist

Is it me or does everyone's pics seem like their plants are all light lime green? I'll throw some change at the probem... you obviously know those temp swings weren't doing the plant any good. Looks like you're down to a 10 degree swing now which should be acceptable although overall you may still be a bit low for early veg. I interpret what you said about the AN nutes as recommended to mean you're using it as the directions on the bottle state. Plus you're also doing a compost tea every week. JMO but I always thought AN's schedule to be on the strong side to start with. Adding in a tea every week depending on what's in it could be more than the plant wants. Could this be a potassium issue? You also didn't mention what coco mix you're using. There's a difference between the cheap stuff on Amazon and something more "upscale".

Either way, if you have a choice of being deficient or going over and burning, can't you settle in the middle and give it what it needs?

I'm not a coco guy, but if I had to guess I'd say you've got a nutrient lockout going. Someone with more experience in coco is bound to chime in and save the day.

D

Dankinator

Pics would help. Also more information, like what stage the plants are in, autos/photos, etc.

That said, the best way I have found to way to tell is by comparing the EC or ppm of your runoff to your feed. This will tell you whether she is eating everything and hungry or leaving nutrients in the coco to build up and burn. That number is usually what matters to me. Once you get it synced up so your runoff is right in the neighborhood of your feed, your pH should level right off to whatever you are adjusting it to in your feeds. If your numbers are right on and she still looks like she’s burning, good chance your VPD is out of range a bit. My grow gets overly dry in the winter and there’s jack shit I can do about it. Causes my girls to get burnt tips even when their nutrients are dead on and they are happy as hell. Hope that helps. Cheers
Okay so my runoff ppm is 844 and the ph this time is 7.0 I’m assuming I have a nutrient lock out,

Fromunda506

Fromunda506

I assume you are feeding less than 850 ppm +/- . Every system is a bit different, but I would be shooting for around 400ppm in my system for that stage of growth. Assuming your runoff number is higher than your feed, sounds like they are locking up. I would give them a flush with ph water and then reduce the feed strength by 20%. Keep checking the runoff for a few days and see if it starts creeping back up, going down or staying stable. That will tell you if you need to adjust further. Nute schedules from manufacturers can be all over the place, but usually recommend feeding way more than you need. It also matters how frequently you feed your plants, how intense your lighting is, what your environment is like, etc. Checking the runoff to figure out how much they are eating is it really useful exercise until you get coco growing dialed in. Good luck getting them sorted. Cheers

D

Dankinator

I assume you are feeding less than 850 ppm +/- . Every system is a bit different, but I would be shooting for around 400ppm in my system for that stage of growth. Assuming your runoff number is higher than your feed, sounds like they are locking up. I would give them a flush with ph water and then reduce the feed strength by 20%. Keep checking the runoff for a few days and see if it starts creeping back up, going down or staying stable. That will tell you if you need to adjust further. Nute schedules from manufacturers can be all over the place, but usually recommend feeding way more than you need. It also matters how frequently you feed your plants, how intense your lighting is, what your environment is like, etc. Checking the runoff to figure out how much they are eating is it really useful exercise until you get coco growing dialed in. Good luck getting them sorted. Cheers
I have 1 ra2000 by parfactworks and 1ra1000 running.I’ve been watering 2 times a day with 250mil of fertigated water per pot . I think I had to many nutes for this stage of life i was in the 1000ppm

Top Bottom