Help with diagnosis

• Thread starter OjoDeMalo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

The reason I say this is if you agitate your water and the ph rises, it's due to of gassing co2. So if you stop aeration to keep the ph from rising you are only prolonging that effect and eventually it will reach equalibrium and the ph will be increased. Usually once exposure is increased like feeding etc.

So aerating it gives you the true ph to work with. Not something that is going to change once air exposure is increased.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

@Dirtbag you likely won't see any of these issues in your system. UV treatment, h2o2 RO treatment. No decaying organics, no bacteria consuming o2 and creating CO2.

Tap water usually contains all of these and because it's under pressure the CO2 is forced in the water creating carbonic acid. So i can say for your circumstances it's probably of no consequence or at least very little when compared to most people.

OjoDeMalo

OjoDeMalo

whole plant, infected leaf, close up infected leaf top, close up infected leaf bottom

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Kinda looking like bug damage. I can't say for certain but I would take a close look.

OjoDeMalo

OjoDeMalo

Kinda looking like bug damage. I can't say for certain but I would take a close look.
I've been over and over those leaves with the digital microscope. nada. I keep thinking that and keep looking but nothing. a rust or some fungal infection?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I've been over and over those leaves with the digital microscope. nada. I keep thinking that and keep looking but nothing. a rust or some fungal infection?
You sure it not old damage? I can't tell how close to the soil those leaves are but maybe they aren't transpiring well. Kinda looking like magnesium. New growth look good but I can't help but feel it's bugs.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Dont think its rust or fungus, looks more like bugs; you can't always see them, but I agree with aqua man

Not sure what that blob is at the arrow, but what are those little black dots? Are they possibly bugs or bug crap?
Screenshot 20191223 150502 Photo Editor

OjoDeMalo

OjoDeMalo

Dont think its rust or fungus, looks more like bugs; you can't always see them, but I agree with aqua man

Not sure what that blob is at the arrow, but what are those little black dots? Are they possibly bugs or bug crap?
View attachment 923582
bits of dirt I'm guessing. digital microscope says no bugs. and yeah might be older. its really starting to "bug me" hahah...ha

Trixie

Trixie

So you have reached a conclusion that the plant in the top photo is caused by alkaline pH and not a deficiency? If so how are you going to manage it and bring back into range so the trace elements will be available??

BigCube

BigCube

whole plant, infected leaf, close up infected leaf top, close up infected leaf bottom

Looks like thrips.
The are extremely hard to see. They look like little worms 1 mm or smaller. I'd check again.

Hope you figure it out 🙂

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

As usual Mr Cube is exactly right; it's thrips. I recently had a run-in with them myself & out of all the plants that I closely inspected I saw just one thrip

Recommend monterey jack with spinosad, 2 applications and some BT in my feed water and they're gone, good luck!

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

As usual Mr Cube is exactly right; it's thrips. I recently had a run-in with them myself & out of all the plants that I closely inspected I saw just one thrip

Recommend monterey jack with spinosad, 2 applications and some BT in my feed water and they're gone, good luck!

I dont think BT hurts thrips. Mosquitos amd fungus gnats.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Everything's gone! The fungus gnats are gone my thrips are gone, I use it on a regular basis now

Been meaning to ask you what was that BT liquid you mentioned that you use?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Everything's gone my fungus gnats are gone my thrips are gone I use it on a regular basis now

Been meaning to ask you what was that BT liquid you mentioned that you use?

Has to be the spinosad for the thrips. Its a pretty specific bacteria. I use microbe lift on @Burned Haze recommendation.

BigCube

BigCube

Not sure about BT. But insecticidal soap works good. Safers make an organic version if you're worried about chemicals. Though insecticidal soap has no actual insecticide. It's just soap.

Follow directions. Spray just before lights out to allow more contact. The soap breaks down naturally in a few days and gives no residue. You'll also need to remove all damaged lower leaves.

Top Bottom