Help with outdoor potting soil recipe 300 gallon pots

• Thread starter stomatasf
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
stomatasf

stomatasf

Hi all,

So I’ve used the ITG recipe from Easy soil for beginner from grasscity forum for indoor before and last season I used it for growing outdoors in a few of my 300 gallon pots. It did run deficient in Nitrogen starting mid July towards the end. I used 300 gallon pots with their old potting soil. I basically re-amended them at the rates of new soil in ITG’s recipe.

This year I’d like to re-use the soil again but add more nitrogen and a little more phosphorous as well as potassium.

I’m trying to figure out how to incorporate them into the old recipe and at what rates to get me through the season with just water.

I have all of the following from ITG’s list. You’ll notice I don’t have alfalfa but I can always run out and get some but things are getting expensive.

Last year I used

300 gallon of old potting soil that contained some perlite, pumice rock, peat moss, probably mendo peat

EWC and Compost

I used about 3 cups per cubic foot of soil of all the amendments/ferts below.

Kelp

Azomite

Neem meal

Alfalfa meal

Shrimp Meal

I Did not use Lime or oyster shell flower in recipe.

G&B Citrus and Fruit fertilizer (all organic) 8-4-2

This Year I have Instructions on Bag

EWC & Compost

Kelp

Azomite .5 to 1 lb per cubic yard 2.5 cups = 1 1lb

Neem Meal some left over

Crab meal 5lbs per cubic yard 4 cups = 1 lb

Oyster shell flower

G & B Citrus and Fruit Fert (all organic) 8-4-2

Feather Meal 12-0-0 5-10 lbs per cubic yard 2.5 cups =1lb

Bat Guano 9-3-1 2.5- 5lbs per cubic yard 8 cups = 1lb

Bat Guano 0-7-0 2.5 - 5 lbs per cubic yard 1.5 cups = 1lb

Bone Meal 3-15-0 3- 6 lbs per cubic yard 2 cups = 1lb

Langbeinite- 0-0-22 1- 2 lbs per cubic yard 1 cup = 1lb

I have several large pots (300 gallon) to re-amend. Any suggestions on the ratios would be appreciated. I don’t want to overkill and I don’t want to run short on nutrients either. The Guano is pretty expensive so I’m thinking of supplementing either with chicken poop and or adding more of the G & B organics fertilizer. Do the ratios on these bags for the Bat guano, bone meal, and feather meal seem excessive? Each 300 gallon bag is roughly 1.45 cubic yards.

Last year my plants got about 8-9 feet tall and 5 feet wide and did start running deficient.

NHWhites

NHWhites

Are you using cover crops? That will help with moisture retention and help grab N from the air and make it available in the soil

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

have you ever heard of Mel's mix? the mix is easy and simple,im trying it in my veggie garden this year,all you state above sound great,cut your cost by going to a feed store for oyster shell, any way,mels mix key ingrediant is the compost,you have to have five difrent variety of compost,combine all and then make mix,1:1:1 one part vermiculite,one part peat moss and one part compost,my gardens are doing great with the mix,on my container garden up top here i feed with KNF products,down hill garden gets nothing but water,try the 5 difrent compost,sure to help out,but hell ya use that soil again get the microbes and food web in check and you cant go wrong with any type of soil,green manure on top as mentioned is a big plus also,im in the south and use the southern blend of cover crop

stomatasf

stomatasf

Hi all,

So I’ve used the ITG recipe from Easy soil for beginner from grasscity forum for indoor before and last season I used it for growing outdoors in a few of my 300 gallon pots. It did run deficient in Nitrogen starting mid July towards the end. I used 300 gallon pots with their old potting soil. I basically re-amended them at the rates of new soil in ITG’s recipe.

This year I’d like to re-use the soil again but add more nitrogen and a little more phosphorous as well as potassium.

I’m trying to figure out how to incorporate them into the old recipe and at what rates to get me through the season with just water.

I have all of the following from ITG’s list. You’ll notice I don’t have alfalfa but I can always run out and get some but things are getting expensive.

Last year I used

300 gallon of old potting soil that contained some perlite, pumice rock, peat moss, probably mendo peat

EWC and Compost

I used about 3 cups per cubic foot of soil of all the amendments/ferts below.

Kelp

Azomite

Neem meal

Alfalfa meal

Shrimp Meal

I Did not use Lime or oyster shell flower in recipe.

G&B Citrus and Fruit fertilizer (all organic) 8-4-2

This Year I have Instructions on Bag

EWC & Compost

Kelp

Azomite .5 to 1 lb per cubic yard 2.5 cups = 1 1lb

Neem Meal some left over

Crab meal 5lbs per cubic yard 4 cups = 1 lb

Oyster shell flower

G & B Citrus and Fruit Fert (all organic) 8-4-2

Feather Meal 12-0-0 5-10 lbs per cubic yard 2.5 cups =1lb

Bat Guano 9-3-1 2.5- 5lbs per cubic yard 8 cups = 1lb

Bat Guano 0-7-0 2.5 - 5 lbs per cubic yard 1.5 cups = 1lb

Bone Meal 3-15-0 3- 6 lbs per cubic yard 2 cups = 1lb

Langbeinite- 0-0-22 1- 2 lbs per cubic yard 1 cup = 1lb

I have several large pots (300 gallon) to re-amend. Any suggestions on the ratios would be appreciated. I don’t want to overkill and I don’t want to run short on nutrients either. The Guano is pretty expensive so I’m thinking of supplementing either with chicken poop and or adding more of the G & B organics fertilizer. Do the ratios on these bags for the Bat guano, bone meal, and feather meal seem excessive? Each 300 gallon bag is roughly 1.45 cubic yards.

Last year my plants got about 8-9 feet tall and 5 feet wide and did start running deficient.
I may use cover crops or may just end up laying down some mulch!

stomatasf

stomatasf

have you ever heard of Mel's mix? the mix is easy and simple,im trying it in my veggie garden this year,all you state above sound great,cut your cost by going to a feed store for oyster shell, any way,mels mix key ingrediant is the compost,you have to have five difrent variety of compost,combine all and then make mix,1:1:1 one part vermiculite,one part peat moss and one part compost,my gardens are doing great with the mix,on my container garden up top here i feed with KNF products,down hill garden gets nothing but water,try the 5 difrent compost,sure to help out,but hell ya use that soil again get the microbes and food web in check and you cant go wrong with any type of soil,green manure on top as mentioned is a big plus also,im in the south and use the southern blend of cover crop
Thanks Oldskol4evr, I haven't heard of Mel's. Sounds pretty awesome. I think i'm going to stick to some local compost and EWC in the area. Trying to also keep bagged products down since can get pretty pricey.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Thanks Oldskol4evr, I haven't heard of Mel's. Sounds pretty awesome. I think i'm going to stick to some local compost and EWC in the area. Trying to also keep bagged products down since can get pretty pricey.
we have a soil and stone bulk yard here,1 yrd garden soil 45 buck,same for compost,i tried them didnt care for the garden soil,compost ahhh,so i make my own and just add,Mel's mix is working great,once you start mixing and see how lite it is you would think how the hell,so i made 10 bags,i grow my sweet potatos and reg potatoes in big bags,anyway made 10 bags of it for lower garden and then made the rest with 2 parts compost instead of one,might just be the water melon canaloupe and pumpkins,plus sweet potatoes,but they love the shit out of it hahahah,these on top were i did 2 parts doing great ,but side by side i think original mix is better,why cant explain just can tell with plants,i went with mushrom ,humus compost ,a new one from fox farms had a bull dog on front of it,really good compost from home depot and then my own compost,mixed all together ,then went to town,made 20 half bags,bags were 33 gal contractor bags,see 2 bales of peat,4 bags of vermiculite from the home depot,and more compost than i needed so i save for tea,the mix specific about vermiculite for some reason,both are same price and i prefer it,it dont float hahahah

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

i make my own nutrients,KNF recipe,you can sure tell the difrence in your product,i feed the top garden once week with it,and fingers crossed i hadnt seen any squash vine boer this year hahahah maybe alcohol hahaah ferment in general,they wipe me out every year,try Em1 also,the joy in the soil is were it happens,when it happy you are happy,i did my last run medicine on knf too,was weird as shit not throwing money at them

Oh gosh

Oh gosh

Alfalfa and Epsom salt is about all I'd recommend in addition to what you have going. Additionally, if you have the ability I'd recommend using teas to compliment your ingredients after awhile. You mentioned deficiencies towards the end. I would brew a bone meal/ sea bird guano/ fish meal tea, or something with a high phosphorus count. Start this in the beginning of August or depending where you are at the first sign of flower. Mild blend at first. If tea is not available a nice top dressing will work. I'm in 65 gallon containers, I could look at pics of 300 gallon containers all day and dream. Also, take notes and document everything to get out of the late season defienecy trap. Kbyee

Latest posts

Top Bottom