Help with Resin Crystalization Batch

• Thread starter Squatch61
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Squatch61

Squatch61

I have a question. I make my own medicine using the alcohol method with 190 proof liquor. When making a batch sometimes the resin will be soft and then other times it crystalizes before I can get it off the razor blade. My question is why is the resin crystalizing instead of staying soft? Thanks for your Input

tobh

tobh

Supporter
sounds like qwiso. IME temperature and how dry the material is play key roles in quality of end product. I prefer the crystal quality over the oil quality. The biggest thing I've found to ensure the quality I like is:

1) Freeze the material at least 24 hours before extraction. This makes it much easier to get good quality.
2) Freeze the alcohol as well. Your home freezer won't get the alcohol to its freezing point, you just want it as cold as the material.
3) Ensure the material is bone dry. You're aiming for extraction here, not quality flower for smoking.
4) Move fast during the extraction step. You can shake for a bit longer, but be deliberate and quick with your process. No longer than 30 seconds of shaking should occur, and filtration should happen ASAP once you're done agitating the alcohol - plant solution.

If the material is too wet, you'll end up extracting lipids and fats into the final product. Same as if it's not frozen. You mixing time with room temp material drops significantly (10-15 seconds instead of 20-30) so you have to be even faster with your process.

Squatch61

Squatch61

sounds like qwiso. IME temperature and how dry the material is play key roles in quality of end product. I prefer the crystal quality over the oil quality. The biggest thing I've found to ensure the quality I like is:

1) Freeze the material at least 24 hours before extraction. This makes it much easier to get good quality.
2) Freeze the alcohol as well. Your home freezer won't get the alcohol to its freezing point, you just want it as cold as the material.
3) Ensure the material is bone dry. You're aiming for extraction here, not quality flower for smoking.
4) Move fast during the extraction step. You can shake for a bit longer, but be deliberate and quick with your process. No longer than 30 seconds of shaking should occur, and filtration should happen ASAP once you're done agitating the alcohol - plant solution.

If the material is too wet, you'll end up extracting lipids and fats into the final product. Same as if it's not frozen. You mixing time with room temp material drops significantly (10-15 seconds instead of 20-30) so you have to be even faster with your process.
Yes I follow this process and have made several batches this way. When it crystalizes I noticed the end result is harder to get out of a syringe than when it is oilier.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
ah ok, so you're putting it in a syringe. i would recommend bypassing the freezing then and increase the agitation time as if it's frozen. it's gonna taste like shit either way, there's no harm in a bit of chlorophyll ending up in the final product.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
ah ok, so you're putting it in a syringe. i would recommend bypassing the freezing then and increase the agitation time as if it's frozen. it's gonna taste like shit either way, there's no harm in a bit of chlorophyll ending up in the final product.
i agree, need more plant waxes and chlorophyll to become more liquidy

Top Bottom