Help with Rockwool hydroponic cloning

• Thread starter Cashmeh
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cashmeh

Cashmeh

My tap rooted seeds love my 200ppm presoaked rockwool cubes. I can grow a taproot seed fast in my system.

I plan on transplanting 6 plants to my flower hydro room. I normally would start 6 seeds but since I can take clones, I might. My plants are big enough to where it won't matter.

I have clone x gel or something idk exactly. I was going to just cut a side branch off at 45 degrees, or more. Then dip it in the clonex gel, then place it directly into my presoaked 200ppm 5.6ph rockwool. I'll throw them into my grow dome, set it on top of my veg tent hydro system, put the lux at 7k, spray the inside of the dome with ro water. Close the lid, and crack the vents...

Think they will root lol? No biggie if not, I got seeds and can sprout them quick quick. But I want cloning practice.

Am I missing anything?

BionicKroniK

BionicKroniK

My tap rooted seeds love my 200ppm presoaked rockwool cubes. I can grow a taproot seed fast in my system.

I plan on transplanting 6 plants to my flower hydro room. I normally would start 6 seeds but since I can take clones, I might. My plants are big enough to where it won't matter.

I have clone x gel or something idk exactly. I was going to just cut a side branch off at 45 degrees, or more. Then dip it in the clonex gel, then place it directly into my presoaked 200ppm 5.6ph rockwool. I'll throw them into my grow dome, set it on top of my veg tent hydro system, put the lux at 7k, spray the inside of the dome with ro water. Close the lid, and crack the vents...

Think they will root lol? No biggie if not, I got seeds and can sprout them quick quick. But I want cloning practice.

Am I missing anything?
Idk @Cashmeh, I'm no Expert (hoping the Experts get here soon 😂), especially in hydroponics, rockwool cubes, or clones, etc., but that all sounds Greek and good to me 🤔 😄...And I can't wait to see your updates and pics of your thriving monster clones too and good luck to ya! 👍 🤙😎

@Aqua Man
@ComfortablyNumb

Last edited:
Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Idk @Cashmeh, I'm no Expert (hoping the Experts get here soon 😂), especially in hydroponics, rockwool cubes, or clones, etc., but that all sounds Greek and good to me 🤔 😄...And I can't wait to see your updates and pics of your thriving monster clones too and good luck to ya! 👍 🤙😎

@Aqua Man
@ComfortablyNumb
I hope the get here soon too :) @stltoed might have some input too.

So you think my current grow is doing well and think ill do well with clones eh. . honestly I feel the exact same way.

I should have just tested this without anyones input and been like YEA i did this shit lol. . but. . if i fuck up, those would have been massive buds in my tent lol.

Im bout to hit a hydro store up and get some "massive" for my flower room, pgr. Also need a better splitter for my pump. Fucking 2hr drive to the nearest hydro store. I swear imma open one up. . ANYWAYS. .when i get back ,she will be up and able to help with transplant. .but shes sick so idk if I want to attempt it alone.

Grapefruitroop

Grapefruitroop

For me the rockwool cloning is the most easy, set and forget and succesful method ive tried....
sounds like you are off a very good start!

This time i was lazy and i soaked the cubes with the same nutrient solution of the mothers....about 600 ppm and they rooted fine, with some clawings of course but......yeah
In my environment rockwool is really a dumb-proof method!

stltoed

stltoed

@Aqua Man
@ComfortablyNumb
Good to have another on board B.

stltoed

stltoed

I hope the get here soon too :) @stltoed might have some input too.

So you think my current grow is doing well and think ill do well with clones eh. . honestly I feel the exact same way.

I should have just tested this without anyones input and been like YEA i did this shit lol. . but. . if i fuck up, those would have been massive buds in my tent lol.

Im bout to hit a hydro store up and get some "massive" for my flower room, pgr. Also need a better splitter for my pump. Fucking 2hr drive to the nearest hydro store. I swear imma open one up. . ANYWAYS. .when i get back ,she will be up and able to help with transplant. .but shes sick so idk if I want to attempt it alone.
I want to see some bad ass clones! You guys can post pictures, videos, anything you like on my thread. I'm not one to think someone has hijacked my thread when they, or a group of others are in a long convesation.

stltoed

stltoed

For me the rockwool cloning is the most easy, set and forget and succesful method ive tried....
sounds like you are off a very good start!

This time i was lazy and i soaked the cubes with the same nutrient solution of the mothers....about 600 ppm and they rooted fine, with some clawings of course but......yeah
In my environment rockwool is really a dumb-proof method!
I used to start my seedlings in Rockwool, but someone introduced me to Rapid Rooters and I never went back. I use a home made aero cloner to make clones. You can put them strait into clay pellets if you're a hydroguy, but you need to top water for a little while to be safe.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

I used to start my seedlings in Rockwool, but someone introduced me to Rapid Rooters and I never went back. I use a home made aero cloner to make clones. You can put them strait into clay pellets if you're a hydroguy, but you need to top water for a little while to be safe.
Good to know, I'm gonna remember that for the future. I don't see how anyone could top an aero pellet cloner, sounds awesome actually.

Yet to keep my current builds simple I think imma just try the method able. Seems like no real reasons not to which is what I was looking for. But of course I'll always be upgrading.

Are all aeros done like that.. Say fill netpot with pebbled and just shove the stem down in it where it's actually below the netpot. Would that aero hitting the stem be as effective as the cloning gel and rockwool? I dunno honestly... Imma have to try both one day... So yea.. Driving to the store now for hydroguard, massive, and a propper flow splitter for my water pump.

Fun fun.. Time for 4 hrs of driving. Just glad I don't need anything else atm.

Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

FWIW I did this without any cloning gel. Took 8 cuts at 45 degrees and stuffed them into water soaked "Rapid Rooter" plugs. They all developed roots, but 2 of the 8 were weak and stringy so trashed them. The other 6 all did great!!

stltoed

stltoed

Anyway...
Here's my cloner. Super simple but works well.
20210913 102251

A 3 gallon bucket with a tight fitting lid. A small pump, with a manifold to hold mist nozzles. Neoprene disks to hold the branches.

Everything needs to be spotless clean and disinfected with bleach or high test peroxide. If using high test peroxide (30%)be careful it's very dangerous. Safety gloves and eyeware is a must! Fill the bucket just below the manifold on the pump. I add Clonex Mist to the water and a tad bit of Hydroguard. Add the lid then place the neoprene disc's around the future clones and ease them into the lid holes. Whether your running 1 clone or 15, all holes in the lid need to be filled. If you run out of neoprene discs a shot glass will work. The disc's wear out pretty fast and need to be replaced fairly often. I've run little fast sprouting clones and monster cropped branches that took over a month with this rig. Cleanliness from the start is very important, especially if the process takes a while.

Small "top" clones root faster than Woody ones.

A smaller pump is better than a big one. Less heat, and you don't want a lot of spray force.

Low light works better than strong light. I know "low light" is kind of a broad statement, but all I'm saying is don't breakout or buy a bad ass grow light for clones. I use a 150 watt CFL 6000K if I remember right. It's actually a bit much for clones, but you could build something for cheap with compact CFLs.

Color temp is important. Look for something between 4500K and 6000K. Don't use anything below 3500k for clones if you can help it.

Check your mist nozzles every time you use it. You can buy them cheap online.

Fulvic acid also helps with clones. Fulpower from Bioag is the best. Fulvex from Botanicare works OK, as does Diamond Nectar from GH. But! Less is more with clones.

When you build the manifold be careful of the drill size. To big and they leak too small and they won't screw in. If someone actually plans on building one of these look me up I'll spend more time on the info.

This type of cloner is very popular, and works very well, but don't buy one. They get silly ass prices for such simple machines. Then charge you silly ass prices for the hood sometimes... shameful. DIY

You will need a hood to keep the humidity in. I just use a plastic bag, or a clear glass bowl.

HOPE THIS HELPS...

Last edited:
Top Bottom