• Thread starter XxHammer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
XxHammer

XxHammer

Alright, so I am a first time grower, as some of you know:

Anyways, I recently learned that my tap water that I have been using in my humidifier is the cause of the white mildew/ residue left on my plants and in my tent. So, is there a filter that I can buy an attach to my facet that will turn my tap water into water suitable to use in my humidifier?

I really do not want to have to stop at the Water machine and get gallons of RO water for .25cents each, this will add up over time and is inconvenient.

So, what solutions do I have available to produce water suitable for my humidifier?

Thank you

freezeland2

freezeland2

I use a homedics misting type humidifier that I throw a demineralization cartridge in the humidifiers tank. Lowe’s sells the cartridges. I soak it in water for 10 - 15 minutes and then drop it in the water tank. Easy peezy. I’m sure it would work in yours to solve the issue.

XxHammer

XxHammer

Buying a whole different Humidifier isnt really the option I was aiming for. No offense to you, but that seems to be most peoples' remedy for every problem, just go buy this or that. I want to find a cost efficient/ long-term solution to my water issue. I understand I may need to purchase a filtration system for my tap or whatever but at least then it is a permanent and long-term fix.

freezeland2

freezeland2

I didn’t suggest buying a whole new dehumidifier. I suggested buying a demineralization cartridge that drops in your water tank bro. In size they are like a pod you would drop in a washing machine. Unless your water fill hole is smaller than 1/2” diameter it will fit in your tank and you can continue using your tap water.

But you want to bust someone’s balls for offering a suggestion that you solicited. But I digress. Good luck with your grow.

Madbud

Madbud

Any twenty dollar faucet or drip-thru filter will remove calcium, the white powder. Humidifiers with wicks remove it too, but not ultrasonics.

XxHammer

XxHammer

I didn’t suggest buying a whole new dehumidifier. I suggested buying a demineralization cartridge that drops in your water tank bro. In size they are like a pod you would drop in a washing machine. Unless your water fill hole is smaller than 1/2” diameter it will fit in your tank and you can continue using your tap water.

But you want to bust someone’s balls for offering a suggestion that you solicited. But I digress. Good luck with your grow.

I apologize then but your post wasnt very clear. Now that your explained further I understand what you're talking about.

Any twenty dollar faucet or drip-thru filter will remove calcium, the white powder. Humidifiers with wicks remove it too, but not ultrasonics.

So it is the Calcium in the water that causes it? This is what I was wondering.

Alright, I will just get one of those PuR filters or Breta or something and see how things go.

Thank you sir

dave92225

dave92225

I apologize then but your post wasnt very clear. Now that your explained further I understand what you're talking about.

So it is the Calcium in the water that causes it? This is what I was wondering.

Alright, I will just get one of those PuR filters or Breta or something and see how things go.

Thank you sir
I got a Pur filter and the PH on the tap water was still high. Went back to bottled water 5 gals from machine for $1.25.

a4twenty

a4twenty

i use RO (revese osmosis) water in my humidifiers because i have a unit for SW aquariums and hydroponics. a brita or similar will not remove enough calcareous elements to make a difference.

XxHammer

XxHammer

i use RO (revese osmosis) water in my humidifiers because i have a unit for SW aquariums and hydroponics. a brita or similar will not remove enough calcareous elements to make a difference.

Crap.

This is NOT what I wanted to hear. I had cleaned my humidifier and was filling it with water from a pitcher that has a Brita filter on it. I was hoping that would solve my problem.

How soon will I notice the white powder residue if the filter isnt working? Is it something that will show itself within 24-hours? I ran that humidifier all day yesterday and part of today with the Brita-filtered water and have not noticed any type of residue left behind. I have since turned it off while we discuss this a bit further haha

XxHammer

XxHammer

Grrrr... I am already using a 5-gal drum of RO for my plants (enriched with CaMg of course)... I really dont want to have to store and lug another 5-gal drum of RO water around.

I will need to research a bit more these cartridge/filters the other poster was talking about.

Madbud

Madbud

That’s correct, just did some research, my bad
Edit: but i know for fact the humidifiers with wicks filter out “white powder” calcium, i use to sell them.

A9474FED 7BBF 4B80 A57A E0B68926D68E
XxHammer

XxHammer

What do you mean by a Humidifier with a wick? I dont think I have ever seen one of these...

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I use this can find it many places.

freezeland2

freezeland2

What do you mean by a Humidifier with a wick? I dont think I have ever seen one of these...

I have two wick types in addition to my mist type. The mist is far superior in raising humidity by a large margin. Right now without a humidifier the room RH is about 30. The mist humidifier will shoot it up over 80 if I am not paying attention. The wick humidifiers will only get it in to low 40’s. I need 60 - 65 right now. So I am running the mister.

XxHammer

XxHammer

How do those things work? You just basically buy your own Water Drum and put that inside?

Madbud

Madbud

Evaporative humidifiers use a fan blowing air through a paper honeycomb pad that wicks water from the reservoir. The pad removes minerals. Common, prices range from $25 for room size to $300 for “whole house” .

XxHammer

XxHammer

I have two wick types in addition to my mist type. The mist is far superior in raising humidity by a large margin. Right now without a humidifier the room RH is about 30. The mist humidifier will shoot it up over 80 if I am not paying attention. The wick humidifiers will only get it in to low 40’s. I need 60 - 65 right now. So I am running the mister.

Any way you can give some examples like the Make and Model of these Humidifiers.

I have used the Vicks V420 coolmist before when I was growing mushrooms, is this a wick type?

Right now I have this Crane Ultrasonic, but I will be returning it to Home Depot today.

freezeland2

freezeland2

Any way you can give some examples like the Make and Model of these Humidifiers.

I have used the Vicks V420 coolmist before when I was growing mushrooms, is this a wick type?

Right now I have this Crane Ultrasonic, but I will be returning it to Home Depot today.

My wick’s are bionaire 630’s rated for 700 sq ft each. My mister is a homedics. The room I am humidfying is 5x10 with an 8ft ceiling. Room temp is 70 degrees. That mister is the only thing giving my needed higher humidity.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

They just hook up to your faucet. That unit can make 50 gals a day. I just mounted mine under the bathroom sink so it's concealed. Then when I want to use I just open the doors connect it to the tap. Pull the supply line out and put in in a 5gal pail, 4l jug or whatever you want to fill. Toss the drain line into the sink and turn on the water.

Setup vid here. That's a 4 stage you only need 3 but can do 4 if ya like the DI resin is not needed but will bring ppm down to like 1-2 ppm when it's new.

Don't forget to flush before adding the membrane and DI if ya have. You only need to do it once when you set it up to rinse the carbon dust out.

Madbud

Madbud

+1 for Aquamans ro filter, i had no idea these got this cheap. A couple years ago a small ro was over $300.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom