Help! Yellow/Stripes Tips on leaves.

• Thread starter JonnySuicide
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
JonnySuicide

JonnySuicide

Hi. First time grower and my leaves turned yellow on the tips with some yellow striping. What's causing this?

Help yellowstripes tips on leaves
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
A little more info needs to be supplied than a leaf photo. What type of medium are you using? What are you using for nutes? How often watered? In ground or container? These need answered before much help will arrive. You will get a lot of maybes, but without the info, we are just shooting blindly. It looks to be overdosed on fertilizer, but could be a number of things. It is a fairly small plant and doesn't need much food at all, so overfeeding is a very common issue on newer growers.

JonnySuicide

JonnySuicide

Ok. Growing in soil and in a 2 gal. pot watering about every 3 days or when soil feels pretty dry at about an inch down, 2 led lights at 2200 lumens each, fertilizer is 4-1-1, small fan blowing across area. Lights are 12/12

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Ok. Growing in soil and in a 2 gal. pot watering about every 3 days or when soil feels pretty dry at about an inch down, 2 led lights at 2200 lumens each, fertilizer is 4-1-1, small fan blowing across area. Lights are 12/12
What kind of soil? Is it garden dirt or a packaged soil? The fertilizer is a little light, but you shouldn't have to worry about overfeeding unless you are mixing it up too strong. It sort of looks like nute burn or a nutrient imbalance, but the fertilizer shouldn't have caused this unless there was either a lot of nutes in the soil already, or too much fertilizer was used. A picture of the whole plant might help as well.

G

Growerdude

A little more info needs to be supplied than a leaf photo. What type of medium are you using? What are you using for nutes? How often watered? In ground or container? These need answered before much help will arrive. You will get a lot of maybes, but without the info, we are just shooting blindly. It looks to be overdosed on fertilizer, but could be a number of things. It is a fairly small plant and doesn't need much food at all, so overfeeding is a very common issue on newer growers.
I would also like to point out the tip of the leaf is curling down to make the famous claw like leaf. That would back up your theory of too much nutrients. Nitrogen toxicity maybe ? Burnt tips indicate nutrient burn.

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Heres the soil and fert I've been using. Like I said, this is my 1st attempt and I'm surprised I've gotten this far lol. I'll get a pic of the whole plant once the lamps kick on.
Did you happen to notice the claim made on the bag of potting soil?

"FEEDS ALL SEASON"

So yeah, nute burn. Stop feeding, flush with water, allow to dry and just water.

I've been testing aspirin as a foliar spray, 1 325mg plain aspirin in 1 gal water. Spray well just once. Couldn't hurt.

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Heres the soil and fert I've been using. Like I said, this is my 1st attempt and I'm surprised I've gotten this far lol. I'll get a pic of the whole plant once the lamps kick on.
I use to use Miracle Grow fertilizer. Chemical crap and yes I know it says "organic." It's not the stuff I used but after years of destroying my soil I wouldn't use their products ever again. Jimster has a killer soil mix or you can purchase whatever type of soil you want to grow in but you can't use fertilized potting soil and then add more fertilizer.

Be gentle with her, water only from here on out. She'll lose those leaves but more should grow on top. If those are healthy you'll be okay, but not great. Good learning experience. You'll never forget it and you'll never do that again.😉

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
And the plant in question
Your plant doesn't look too bad... like everyone sez, just give plenty of water, but make sure that the soil doesn't hold too much water to get waterlogged. As for feeding, your plant looks pretty good but in the big picture, it isn't too large to need all of the fertilizer that folks like to use. I prefer to grow in a fairly empty medium, so that the only stuff that gets in there is what I put in... and you don't really need much. Wood ashes provide most nutrients except nitrogen, and jack's 20-0-20 provides just about everything else. I add some composted manure just to cover my bases and let it go crazy without much intervention other than watering and a few feedings every 10-15 days. If your plants aren't very large, they need even less nutrients unless they are very large and bushy. If possible, I would recommend letting it grow in veg growth a little longer to allow the smaller branches grow out of the junction of the earlier joints on the main stem. This would have increased the yield a lot a little later down the road, although your plant looks fairly tall.
You have done pretty well for a 1st timer, and you are probably best by learning the basics first and working on the yield after learning to keep them alive! Next grow, learn about topping or pinching, which helps to keep plants shorter and makes them better yielders an bushier. There are other training methods that will allow you to maximize your space, and a bunch of other tweaks that will easily allow you to get 5X or more than you will see from your 1st attempt. Keep up the good work and do a lot of reading on the forums. There is a LOT of confusing info out there, but remember that you don't need anything fancy to have great results. A lot is hype to get your cash. Others are legit but sometimes geared to more experienced or commercial growers. If you need an easy medium to grow with that is almost foolproof, send me a PM and I can tell you about it, although it isn't anything that is a big secret, just dependable.

Top Bottom