Help your Ganja Grandma with her grow tent hot flashes.

• Thread starter CannaDana
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CannaDana

CannaDana

My environment gets too hot when I go to bed before the lights go off, and again too hot when the lights first come on in the morning. I'm about as technologically inclined as you'd expect a 65-year old woman to be. So I'd appreciate your help.

I have 18 plants in early veg (7 Gorilla Glue #4, 8 Kush Mints, and 3 AJ's Sour Diesel)
Grow tent is 5'x10'
Lights are two Grower's Choice ROI-E720 LEDs (see pic)
I have a large 6" exhaust fan w/ charcoal filter (see pic)
I generally leave the 4th wall of the tent open
A space heater on a thermostat keeps it from getting too cold at night.

My environment is pretty well controlled. I like to keep it between 75-85 degrees F, and 55-65% relative humidity. But at night and early morning, I have a problem.

When I get in bed at night, I turn off the exhaust fan because if I leave it on it gets too cold at night. It's usually a couple hours after the exhaust fan goes off before the lights go out. And in the morning, the lights come on before I go in and turn on the exhaust fan. During those lights-on-but-fan-off hours, the environment gets too hot.

Below you can see the temperature fluctuation. It's well controlled until I turn off the exhaust fan at about 9pm, and then the temperature shoots up until the lights go off at midnight. After that, the temps fall until 6am, when the lights come back on, and the temps shoot way up, until I turn on the exhaust fan again. This is with the 4th wall completely open, as in the 2nd photo below. The 3rd photo shows my exhaust fan setup.

IMG_0285.PNG

IMG_0287.jpg

IMG_0289.jpg

Any suggestions for avoiding the two heat spikes, while also not allowing it to get too cold at night?

Let the ideas fly! Grandma needs your help!

Last edited:
Observationist

Observationist

lovely setup and nice lights!

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
@inkbird this nice lady needs an itc-308 temperature controller, Stat.

You plug the exhaust fan into the cooling outlet and the heater into the heating outlet, then set your desired temperature range. If it gets too cold it turns on the heater. If it gets too warm it turns on the fan.

PK1

PK1

Supporter

You plug the exhaust fan into the cooling outlet and the heater into the heating outlet, then set your desired temperature range. If it gets too cold it turns on the heater. If it gets too warm it turns on the fan.
ohh ya, i should of tagged him 😂

CannaDana

CannaDana

ohh ya, i should of tagged him 😂

Thanks, guys, but I just went and ordered separate Inkbird temp and humidity controls. The Inkbird ITC-308 Temperature Controller with IHC-200 Humidity Controller.

You guys are a great help. Thank you!

PK1

PK1

Supporter
why buy two separate equipment's when you can buy one that does both?? That will help you get the temps and humidity to work together with less headache.

CannaDana

CannaDana

why buy two separate equipment's when you can buy one that does both?? That will help you get the temps and humidity to work together with less headache.
Because that one only had two outlets, to control two devices, and my best use is to control two devices for temperature (heat and cold) AND two devices for humidity (humidifier and dehumidifier), and buying both of these not only does the trick but was cheaper than buying the one with only two controls.

PK1

PK1

Supporter
Is that room your veg tent or are you pushing those plants into flower? Reason i asked is because those plants will stretch during flower phase and it seems that you don't have much height left. .

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Because that one only had two outlets, to control two devices, and my best use is to control two devices for temperature (heat and cold) AND two devices for humidity (humidifier and dehumidifier), and buying both of these not only does the trick but was cheaper than buying the one with only two controls.
Solid choice. I use the 308 myself and love them.

Reactions: PK1
CannaDana

CannaDana

Is that room your veg tent or are you pushing those plants into flower? Reason i asked is because those plants will stretch during flower phase and it seems that you don't have much height left. .

That's actually a great question. The short answer is that, yes, that's where they will flower, but I still have about 3 feet I can raise the lights, so I'm in no imminent danger.

The bigger problem is that I have one cultivar, Kush Mints (Bubba Kush x Animal Mints) that will be a short, dense, very Indica expressing plant, and another cultivar, AJ's Sour Diesel, that will be a tall, spindly, very sativa expressing plant. And, of course, I have a third cultivar, GG4, that is between the two. Additional problems are that the Sour Diesel requires more nutes than the others, and it may not flower at all on a 12/12 cycle, plus it has a flower time of 11-12 weeks, so is longer than the other two. Stupid of me to try to grow all three in the same tent, which is why I was originally just going to grow them in the room. But the tent solved so many problems, I decided to just give it a go.

I figured I'd do some super-cropping or LST on the Sour Diesel plants to minimize height, though stretch does scare me as I can imagine them really shooting up. But since I have multiple lights and another potential grow space, I can always bail on finishing them in the tent, and do them separately.

Honestly, I'm nowhere near flipping them into flower. At harvest I plan for the GG4 (medium cultivar) to be about 5-feet tall. Right now they are babies. I can take the lights all the way to the ceiling if I have to, which is 6'-10". So I have some time.

Reactions: PK1
PK1

PK1

Supporter
That's actually a great question. The short answer is that, yes, that's where they will flower, but I still have about 3 feet I can raise the lights, so I'm in no imminent danger.

The bigger problem is that I have one cultivar, Kush Mints (Bubba Kush x Animal Mints) that will be a short, dense, very Indica expressing plant, and another cultivar, AJ's Sour Diesel, that will be a tall, spindly, very sativa expressing plant. And, of course, I have a third cultivar, GG4, that is between the two. Additional problems are that the Sour Diesel requires more nutes than the others, and it may not flower at all on a 12/12 cycle, plus it has a flower time of 11-12 weeks, so is longer than the other two. Stupid of me to try to grow all three in the same tent, which is why I was originally just going to grow them in the room. But the tent solved so many problems, I decided to just give it a go.

I figured I'd do some super-cropping or LST on the Sour Diesel plants to minimize height, though stretch does scare me as I can imagine them really shooting up. But since I have multiple lights and another potential grow space, I can always bail on finishing them in the tent, and do them separately.

Honestly, I'm nowhere near flipping them into flower. At harvest I plan for the GG4 (medium cultivar) to be about 5-feet tall. Right now they are babies. I can take the lights all the way to the ceiling if I have to, which is 6'-10". So I have some time.

you can have a box under the pods so they can be raised to the same level of the Sour Diesel. If you have 3 ft left than hopefully you would be flipping the cycle soon because they tend to stretch about 2ft in flower.

Top Bottom