Help!!

• Thread starter Rory
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

Hey Budz and Greenthumb, I have used Sure to Grow with some really good results. It is a totally inert medium, and can actually be reused. I suggest you look into it, even if you don't give it a try.

M

Mr. Greenthum

Hey Budz and Greenthumb, I have used Sure to Grow with some really good results. It is a totally inert medium, and can actually be reused. I suggest you look into it, even if you don't give it a try.

What kind of medium is it? is it like clay balls?

B

Budzilla

Yeah i'm quite interested in knowing more about that smokie.

I'm running out of Fytocell and may have to make some kind of mix to get all the plants in finishing pots.

have you got any product info threads/links that I can read. I want to know the details like total air and water capacity etc.

Any diary's with results mate?

...BudZ...

B

Budzilla

Its not like pebbles is it? is it all fluffy/airy like Fytocell??

I have a product page that says it holds 73% water and 27% air - that can't be exactly correct as how much is actual media??

It does look interesting bud, thanks for the intro. Have you used this in Hempy's/passive hydro?

This might save my ass till i get more Fytocell but teh STG main website say 50% of first order its taht good you will come back - Gotta give it a go, at least it should go well mixed in with the Fytocell, might even be better overall to mix the both and get an average water vontent of say 65% as opposed to 73% and 60%.

I don't know what the optimum is in passive Hydro but in Fytocell (60%) you can water them every 6 hrs at 2 weeks veg and the roots still grow like crazy even though its always 60% fully wet. I think this is mainly due to teh air content though!

maybe mix this SOG with some perlite to get an average of only 60& water as opposed to 73% !!

Something to think about.

cheers again!

what were the air/water stats you were given - i can't trust fleabay!

...BudZ...

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

I unfortunately do not have a diary with my work with STG. The work I was doing came to an abrupt end before I could harvest, and create a proper diary. From the work I was doing, despite a nutrient line I was not such a fan of, I was getting very nice results. If I can find some pics of the work I was doing I will gladly post them here.

STG is actually recycled plastic that is extruded into fibers and then formed into cubes, mats, slabs, pellets and loose fill. I have used all of the products except for the mats. The hail (pellets) is what you saw for 50% off on their website, Suretogrow.com. I was privileged enough to do some of the testing for the hail, and I really liked it. I am normally a soil farmer, but in trying to expand my knowledge of growing styles I worked in a hydro setup with the STG.

I used the hail to keep moms and fed them by hand. Once the moms really took to the medium, I was watering them twice a day. I was at that point going to switch them over to a perpetual drip system as they were starting to demand that much nutrient solution. I was using an aero cloner and tried their plugs but did not like them all too much, since they were white and not very big they allowed too much light in. I used the regular plugs for the cloner and transplanted the new plants into 4" STG cubes and back filled with the hail. Then I would place ten cubes into a 4' trough, and the trough into a tray under T-5's. I could fit three troughs into a tray. The cubes then got a constant drip feed for 24 hours a day and 18 hours of light. This is where I really saw the best results. The STG allowed so much air to flow through, if the drip feed went off for even an hour the cubes would begin to dry. This helped with some really explosive root growth.

Those plants were vegged for 10 days and when ready for flowering, 6 were placed onto a 6" thick slab at 1 meter long. The slabs were then put into 4X8 trays under 2 1000 watt HPS lamps in air cooled hoods. Originally I had tried to use a drip system to feed the plants but was not having very good success, although I do feel with a bit more tweeking, I could have improved the results with the drip feed. But I eventually changed the flowering trays to an ebb and flow. I was able to get the formula down for the ebb and flow, how many waterings per day, where my PPM should be, pH balanced, all the things that make any hydro grow successful. Right as I got everything dialed in the project came to an end.

I would absolutely give STG another trial, and this is why I recommend it to anyone. Something very important to remember with STG is to use totally soluble nutrients because if there are any particles in the solution they will build up in the medium.

I know I did not give a lot of product specs, but if you need them check the STG website.

B

Budzilla

It all sounds good dude.

TBH I was worried about the watering as on the website it goes on to say things like only water for a maximum or 45 mins per day with 6 between cycles?? I didn't really understand that bit, seemed rather vague and not definitive.

I guess in a hempy it will never waterlog. they say 82% water when saturated, i assume that is if its under the water though and not free draining as with the Hempy, free draining. So should not be a problem with rot etc

so you used the hail then.Could you imagine what would work best in the passive then if you've tried both?

e2a - i'm only cinsidering the Hail or the loose fill absorbents do you thik these both have the same water holding capacity. i.e both will hold 82% if saturated.

cheers for all the juicy info so far, i'm glued to the
PC here, i love new stuff, you never know what you mat come up with!!

...BudZ...

R

Rory

hey thanks guys!! Yeah, im seeing a little more growth out of my plants! I just started week 7 and it looks like there coming more and more together, but week three i got my temps to 76 lights on and 68 degrees lights off. so i got that locked on. and i use the coco mat as well, my roots are CRAZY!!! thanks for all the help guys!!

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

Budz,

Go with the hail over the loose fill. The hail is much easier to work with, and the loose fill can become a real mess. While I think the loose fill holds the water a bit longer, the ease and convenience of the hail makes it the choice of product in my garden. While saturated the medium holds a good deal of water, as soon as the water is no longer saturating the medium it quickly dries out due to the great availability of air the medium allows.

B

Budzilla

Cool dude that's what I wanted to know.
The hail probably holds more water than Fytocell when saturated but from what you say no way will it be be holding more than fytocell when free draining.

Fytocell has got extremely strong capillary functions so any excess moisture in the Hail will be transferred to the Fytocell and it should regulate the whole pot to 60% saturation in a free flowing module still I believe.

I will assume the 18% minimal air content is only subject to the media being totally immersed in water and would hold more air the whole time if allowed to drain.

Does that sound about right to you dude?

I think this stuff could be really good with Fytocell. I don't think it would be better than Fytocell on its own but both together could harness some attractive properties.
Clouds and silver lining hey!

It sounds like this may go well with my plan. Which is to start off with 15L Hempy's, passive fed, then when they are in 2 weeks in flower I was going to introduce the irrigation and Flood and drain say 4 times a day and once at night.

...BudZ...

B

Budzilla

hey thanks guys!! Yeah, im seeing a little more growth out of my plants! I just started week 7 and it looks like there coming more and more together, but week three I got my temps to 76 lights on and 68 degrees lights off. so i got that locked on. and I use the coco mat as well, my roots are CRAZY!!! thanks for all the help guys!!

Nice one Rory, '

No worries mate, I'm glad your getting things under control now. Just have in the back of your mind that they will probably take longer to reach maturity now but be patient dude, make sure its worth the wait now!!

...BudZ..

Top Bottom