Hemp Pollen

• Thread starter dawg
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
dawg

dawg

Sorry if this has been addressed before, I searched and couldn't find any threads.

A friend has completed two outdoor grow seasons here in the Midwest. We have a lot of hemp growing on the edges of fields and some very small scale commercial test plots I believe.

Problem is that the females he nurtured through the seasons have all ended up getting pollinated. Nice looking flowers but quite a lot of seeds. Potency is decent but wondering if the girls put too much energy towards reproduction which affected their ultimate strength?

So the question is, with an indoor grow not being possible, is there a way to protect the girls from this rogue pollen in seasons to come? Is there perhaps a fabric that allows the plants to photosynthesize yet would block the airborne particles?

Thanks!

Madmax

Madmax

You just gotta pull the males,true herms and the ones that come out with nanners..its that simple .buds actually stop growing and put all there energy toward seed production.i had buds that still smoked up..some bud more riddled than others and were all pods..

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Potency comes from sexual frustration. They keep producing resin to try and catch pollen. Or at least that’s what I’ve heard.

Seraphine

Seraphine

You could try insect netting. Some commercial produce growers use it to prevent their genetically modified crop pollen from contaminating/pollinating other crops.

Just make sure it is fine insect netting to keep the pollen out

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
You could try insect netting. Some commercial produce growers use it to prevent their genetically modified crop pollen from contaminating/pollinating other crops.

Just make sure it is fine insect netting to keep the pollen out

That might reduce it some but cannabis pollen is extremely fine and imo it wouldn’t do much if anything to stop it from passing through. Imo it’s a lost cause to try and stop Mother Nature. Either find a spot up wind or live with a seeded crop.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

That might reduce it some but cannabis pollen is extremely fine and imo it wouldn’t do much if anything to stop it from passing through. Imo it’s a lost cause to try and stop Mother Nature. Either find a spot up wind or live with a seeded crop.
i agree,no way to stop it,even 4 miles down the road you will catch pollen,the dust is the same as a basic tree and you know what that does to the nose,with legalization expect more stories as yours,if the wind blows your pollinated

E

Elevated

Agri bond frost cloth is good way to keep out pollen. I breed in hoops sealed in agribond next to flowering canopy and am very careful and do not get cross pollination. I make sure hoops are buttoned up when males popping. It's fairly cheap and breathable. It will create some extra heat but it's easy to put vent fan etc.

E

Elevated

Also, my experience in past is I have always kept a males stashed an acre or so away an never have cross pollenations. Some people are extreme in thinking pollen travels miles but I have never had that experience. Hypothetically it could happen but I have not seen it. Also I have been consulting hemp farmers alot over the last year. Majority are growing similar to us pulling males and growing hemp flower from females for extract etc.

Top Bottom