Hemp strains bred for THC-A?

• Thread starter PickleVick
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

PickleVick

The recent agricultural / Industrial Hemp law that passed in the federal government allows for all hemp products containing below 0.3% d9-THC, & distinguishes these products as hemp not cannabis. However this law makes no mention of thc-a. I realize concentrations of THC-a vary throughout the life cycle of the plant and on its own is not psychoactive but if we could figure out how to selectively breed hemp plants to have a high concentration of thc-a and other cannabinoids while falling below the 0.3% d9thc requirement, there might just be a huge loophole that was written into the bill and cannot ever be reversed without an amount of effort that would make it a logical to attempt

I realize this type of selective breeding would take 10 or 20 Years to reach an appreciable level of THC a, and at that point cannabis will probably be federally legal in the US, but it can't hurt to start trying got it?
-V (1st post!)

P

PickleVick

That last sentence was supposed to say, "it can't hurt to try can it?"

I can't seem to edit my posts on Android devices

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
The recent agricultural / Industrial Hemp law that passed in the federal government allows for all hemp products containing below 0.3% d9-THC, & distinguishes these products as hemp not cannabis. However this law makes no mention of thc-a. I realize concentrations of THC-a vary throughout the life cycle of the plant and on its own is not psychoactive but if we could figure out how to selectively breed hemp plants to have a high concentration of thc-a and other cannabinoids while falling below the 0.3% d9thc requirement, there might just be a huge loophole that was written into the bill and cannot ever be reversed without an amount of effort that would make it a logical to attempt

I realize this type of selective breeding would take 10 or 20 Years to reach an appreciable level of THC a, and at that point cannabis will probably be federally legal in the US, but it can't hurt to start trying got it?
-V (1st post!)
THCa is the stuff that gets you high. CBD, the other main component, does not. CBD can be derived from hemp and cannabis, while THCa comes from cannabis. If there is less than .3%, the plant can't be considered cannabis and is classified as hemp instead. ^9 THC is pretty much the same thing as THCa for the sake of argument... it's the stuff that gets you high. A hemp plant that ha .3% of THCa, or ^9THC, wouldn't be too desirable for recreational purposes. Hemp and cannabis are the same plant, it just depends on the THC content, for the most part. CBD levels don't really matter.
Or did I miss the question?

mancorn

mancorn

THCA is the non-psychoactive acid form of THC found in the plant when raw. THCA converts to THC when it is decarboxylated (smoked). Yes technically fresh cannabis wouldn't have much THC as it's in the form of THCA until converted to THC (by light/heat/fire). But you couldn't have a high THC plant without having a high THCA plant.

curandero2012

curandero2012

-V (1st post!)
All registered hemp varieties are low in THC.
IMG 20181007 073840

If you can get Chinese hemp seeds, there is a chance to get phenotypes above the 1%.

P

PickleVick

"THC and THC-A, for all practical and legal purposes, are the same thing."

For biological purposes yes they are basically the same, for legal purposes because of the way the agricultural hemp bill is written, they are definitely not the same. If you read the bill thca is not mentioned at all as a banned substance only delta-9 THC. This is a legal loophole that if we can manage to breed hemp plants high in this compound would basically Force the government's hand to legalize cannabis federally.

I realized thca is inactive in its raw form when not decarboxylated, but this will change when it's baked into Edibles or smoked. I realized this endeavor may take years. Breeding hemp strains high in thca should be no different than how cannabis strains were bred to contain higher levels of delta-9 THC. Sure in the past it took decades, but with advances in botany we should be able to do it in three or four years if a bunch of us put our minds to it. If accomplished, this *would* be a major loophole in the farm bill & force the government's hand and make cannabis federally

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
"THC and THC-A, for all practical and legal purposes, are the same thing."

For biological purposes yes they are basically the same, for legal purposes because of the way the agricultural hemp bill is written, they are definitely not the same. If you read the bill thca is not mentioned at all as a banned substance only delta-9 THC. This is a legal loophole that if we can manage to breed hemp plants high in this compound would basically Force the government's hand to legalize cannabis federally.

I realized thca is inactive in its raw form when not decarboxylated, but this will change when it's baked into Edibles or smoked. I realized this endeavor may take years. Breeding hemp strains high in thca should be no different than how cannabis strains were bred to contain higher levels of delta-9 THC. Sure in the past it took decades, but with advances in botany we should be able to do it in three or four years if a bunch of us put our minds to it. If accomplished, this *would* be a major loophole in the farm bill & force the government's hand and make cannabis federally
The govt would simply add the THCA or THCV to the federal schedule, much as they did with the fake MJ sold in gas stations and Fentanyl analogs. They could probably use the existing laws for something like you proposed. It would be like making a new kind of fuel that the Govt doesn't tax. With the stroke of a pen, taxation is accomplished regardless of how much work went into making the new fuel. It's a noble idea, but Uncle Sam has been down this road many times. It wasn't too much longer than I was around that Cannabis was legal. It wasn't illegal until the racial card was played that got it suddenly outlawed. African Americans and Mexicans were going to rape and molest America's children and women... can't have that happening! Make it illegal and the problem is solved. Now...go beat on those who use it. Unfortunately, that was the outcome.

P

PickleVick

The govt would simply add the THCA or THCV to the federal schedule, much as they did with the fake MJ sold in gas stations and Fentanyl analogs. They could probably use the existing laws for something like you proposed. It would be like making a new kind of fuel that the Govt doesn't tax. With the stroke of a pen, taxation is accomplished regardless of how much work went into making the new fuel. It's a noble idea, but Uncle Sam has been down this road many times. It wasn't too much longer than I was around that Cannabis was legal. It wasn't illegal until the racial card was played that got it suddenly outlawed. African Americans and Mexicans were going to rape and molest America's children and women... can't have that happening! Make it illegal and the problem is solved. Now...go beat on those who use it. Unfortunately, that was the outcome.

in this case they cannot simply add thca to the list of banned substances like that because it would negate The agricultural Farm Bill. It thca gets banned then say goodbye to her millions of dollars and Industrial hemp Revenue

I thought the exact same thing until I had a lawyer-buddy of mine read the entire agricultural hemp bill. I have no doubt they would figure out some other way of banning it, but it would take a lot of time and piss off a lot of tax-paying, right wing, Republican farmers there are too many red State politicians who are too heavily vested in the agricultural hemp Bill to alter it any way that would prevent growing agricultural hemp

if you read the bill you'll say it's very specifically worded in a way that would prevent this from happening

P

PickleVick

and the reason the synthetic MJ and Fentanyl analogues were so easily band is because they fell under the federal analog Act... that is not the case here

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
and the reason the synthetic MJ and Fentanyl analogues were so easily band is because they fell under the federal analog Act... that is not the case here
Is there a reason that they can't simply add the THC compounds to the Analog act? Uncle Sam does pretty much what he wants to. By the time the arguments and hearing are finished, there will be bills passed to somehow get around it. There is a reason they say that you can't fight city hall... they make the rules! During the mid 70s, Ohio "decriminalized" pot. They didn't make it legal despite the thought that wit criminal penalties reduced, full legalization isn't too far off. 40 years later, not much has changed except newer laws to update the ability of the DA to prosecute. Across the border in Michigan, people are being released from jail from decades of MJ prosecution, but in Ohio, it's business as usual.
On a side note, wasn't the Analogs act in response to the synthetic MJ issue?

Atlusted

Atlusted

I was just researching high thcA flower and found this company through reddit that is selling high thca flower and seeds. Ocee Botanicals, here are some seeds. The CultoftheFranklin subreddit is dedicated to high thca flower.

Top Bottom