Herb dominates obama site change.gov

• Thread starter fractaLz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sativaindica

thats fucking comedy, about his webpage, CHANGE.gov.....woooooooooooooo obama, YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH, CHANGE.

seriously tho, I doubt obama offers any real change in the war on drugs, let alone foriegn affairs.

http://www.opensecrets.org/news/2008/10/drug-industry-dough-shifting-t.html

The company's top three recipients are all Democrats: presidential candidates (past and present) Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton and Chris Dodd. Pfizer gave more than twice as much to Obama as it did to his Republican opponent, Sen. John McCain--$48,900 to $18,400.

Across the board, the top contributors within the pharmaceutical industry appear to be narrowing the margin between donations to Republicans and Democrats. Amgen, Johnson and Johnson, GlaxoSmithKline and Abbott Laboratories--all top contributors in their industry-have enlarged the slice of their total contributions to Democrats by at least 10 percentage points since the last election cycle.

thats my main reason for not trusting Obama on this topic. I hope he proves me wrong

P

phoenix

Lets hope it's not just window dressing,it would be beautifull if it's a time of genuine change,but i'll believe it when i see it.

Cali smoke

Cali smoke

Q: "Will you consider legalizing marijuana so that the government can regulate it, tax it, put age limits on it, and create millions of new jobs and create a billion dollar industry right here in the U.S.?" S. Man, Denton

A: President-elect Obama is not in favor of the legalization of marijuana.

S

sweetleaf

in response to the questions.http://blog.norml.org/2008/12/16/meet-the-new-boss-same-as-the-old-boss/

Meet The New Boss, Same As The Old Boss

December 16th, 2008 By: Paul Armentano, NORML Deputy Director

Share this Article

“The war on drugs has been an utter failure. … (W)e need to rethink and decriminalize our (nation’s) marijuana laws.” -Barack Obama, January 2004 (Watch the video here.)

“I inhaled frequently, that was the point.” -Barack Obama, November 2006 (Watch the video here.)

Q: “Will you consider legalizing marijuana so that the government can regulate it, tax it, put age limits on it, and create millions of new jobs and create a billion dollar industry right here in the U.S.?”

A: “President-elect Obama is not in favor of the legalization of marijuana.” -Statement from Change.gov, the official website of President-Elect Obama, December 15, 2008

Okay, count me among those disappointed, but hardly surprised to see that Change.gov — the official website of the incoming Obama administration — answered the above question, which finished first out of over 7,000 public policy questions submitted to the website, in the most curt and dismissive way possible.

That said, as StoptheDrugWar.org’s Scott Morgan writes, Obama’s brevity is, in fact, quite telling.

As frustrating and insulting as it is to witness an important matter brushed casually to the side without explanation, Obama’s answer actually says a lot. It says that he couldn’t think of even one sentence to explain his position. Within the vast framework of totally paranoid anti-pot propaganda, Obama couldn’t find a single argument he wanted to associate himself with. That’s why he simply said “No. Next question.”

All of this highlights the well-known fact that Obama agrees that our marijuana laws are deeply flawed. He‘s said so, and has back-pedaled recently for purely political reasons. If Obama’s transition team tried to give an accurate description of his position on marijuana reform it would look like this:

Q: “Will you consider legalizing marijuana so that the government can regulate it, tax it, put age limits on it, and create millions of new jobs and create a billion dollar industry right here in the U.S.?” S. Man, Denton

A: President-elect Obama will not use his political capital to advance the legalization of marijuana. While he agrees that arresting adults for marijuana possession is a poor use of law enforcement resources, he believes that the issue remains too controversial to do anything about it.

In fact, Obama essentially said as much earlier this year when asked about the legalization of marijuana for medicinal purposes.

Obama: “When it comes to medical marijuana, … my attitude is if it is an issue of doctors prescribing marijuana, … I think that should be appropriate. … Whether I want to use a whole lot of political capital on (this) issue; the likelihood of that being real high on my priority list is not likely.” (Watch the video here.)

So then, disappointed as we are, how should we proceed?

Answer: Just as we have been.

To be fair to President-Elect Obama, he never pledged to legalize marijuana. Quite the contrary, during his Presidential campaign he backtracked from his previous comments supporting pot decriminalization, and he even went so far as to pick one of the chief architects of the modern drug war to be his Vice President. In short, to believe that the Obama team would have responded to the legalization question any other way was idealistic at best, and foolish at worst.

But that hardly means that we activists should write off the next four years.

In November, editors at the website Alternet.org asked me to draft “a progressive agenda for Obama” regarding marijuana policy. At that time, I listed several realistic, practical actions Obama could take to substantially reform America’s antiquated and punitive pot laws. (Note, legalizing marijuana by Executive Order was not on my wish list.)

These actions include:

1. As President, Obama must uphold his campaign promise to “not … use Justice Department resources to try and circumvent state laws” that legalize the medical use of cannabis. (Watch the video here.)

2. Obama can appoint leaders to the US Department of Justice, DEA, and the Office of National Drug Control Policy who possess professional backgrounds in public health, addiction and treatment rather than in law enforcement.

3. Obama can support the autonomy and health of Washington D.C. voters by encouraging Congress to lift the so-called “Barr amendment” (passed by Congress in 1998 and reinstated every year since then), which prohibits the District of Columbia from implementing a 1998 voter-approved ballot initiative legalizing the use of marijuana by authorized patients.

4. Obama can call for the creation of a bipartisan Presidential commission to review the budgetary, social and health costs associated with federal marijuana prohibition, and to make progressive recommendations for future policy changes.

Ultimately, of course, it’s Congress, not the president, who is responsible for crafting America’s oppressive federal anti-drug strategies. Moreover, it is clear that in the coming years this battle will continue to primarily be fought — and won — on the state level, not in Washington D.C.

That’s not to say that we should not continue to keep the pressure on Obama by continuing to post questions to websites like Change.gov. (My suggestion for the next round of voting… How about: “On Election Day, over 3 million voters decided to legalize the medical use of cannabis in Michigan, making it the 13th state to enact laws allowing the legal medical use of marijuana. While campaigning, you pledged: ‘What I’m not going to be doing is spend Justice Department resources to try and circumvent state laws on this issue.’ As President, will you and your Attorney General uphold this promise not to target and prosecute patients and providers who are in compliance with state medical marijuana laws?“)

However, we must always remember that it will be the actions of tens of thousands — not the actions of just one man — that will ultimately bring an end to America’s vindictive and senseless war on cannabis consumers.

Now let’s get back to work!

jah_hoover

jah_hoover

I dont think Obama can be any worse than that moron Bush, come on guys

YOU HAD A INBRED RETARD RUN AMERICA LMAO

B

bonbonbondia

I dont think Obama can be any worse than that moron Bush, come on guys

YOU HAD A INBRED RETARD RUN AMERICA LMAO

Well to be fair, he was quite a convincing inbred retard when he ran in 2000. If he had actually stood by the platform he got elected on in that year, he could have been a decent president. But of course we know now that he reversed his positions about 180degrees during the course of his administration.

And once we realized our mistake, what were we to do in 2004? Elect Kerry?

With that said, me and thousands of others spent countless hours and dollars trying in vain to get the rest of our voting population to notice and support Ron Paul. We went up against the media and lost. ;(

K

KushBrothers

thats fucking comedy, about his webpage, CHANGE.gov.....woooooooooooooo obama, YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH, CHANGE.

seriously tho, I doubt obama offers any real change in the war on drugs, let alone foriegn affairs.

http://www.opensecrets.org/news/2008/10/drug-industry-dough-shifting-t.html

thats my main reason for not trusting Obama on this topic. I hope he proves me wrong

Well, seeing how his mother used cannabis when she was dying of cancer, I'm sure his opinions on MEDICAL cannabis are strong. Now, on legalization efforts are a different story. Not even I want weed to be legal across the board.

Call me an uncle tom if you want, but the fact is this, ALL MEDICINES can and are abused, From Tylenol to Marinol.

At the same time, legalization would almost certainly mean giving up the options of growing our own, and rather, allowing the govt and its cronies to market absolute shit to us.

For me, I'd rather just get a med card and do it myself. Thanks.

alf

F

Finalopagus

....With that said, me and thousands of others spent countless hours and dollars trying in vain to get the rest of our voting population to notice and support Ron Paul. We went up against the media and lost. ;(

not in vain my friend I now know who Ron Paul is and many many others

H

herby

Just my opinion but i dont want the government involved in any way shape or form. Its either legal or it isnt. I dont need permission from them to grow tomatoes i shouldnt need permission from them to grow pot. I can brew beer and wine at home for my personal consumption, whats the difference with mj?

Tax me and regulate me on it? No thanks, I think the taxes in the US are already criminal, no need for more. Now if for some reason it is legal and I do decide to make a living selling it then under the commerse clause of the constitution they have a right to tax me. However growing for my personal use... Leave me alone to be free and I am happy.

resinryder

resinryder

Don't blame me, I voted for Bob Barr. Just can't trust anything that comes out of the mouth of a republican or a democrat. Change my hairy white ass!

fractaLz

fractaLz

Hit up http://www.change.org/ideas?order=top#listSection

As you can see this topic is now in first place for the overall questions being taken to Obama in front of the National Press Club.

You have to register to vote but it takes two seconds, and this has the potential to really ruffle some feathers.

Lets keep it number 1!!!!

J

John Ditchweed

Bush wasn't that convincing he just had his brother recount florida to win.......... Mr. Obama or any president to come would have to do alot to be considered worse than Bush. I feel pot should be legal I do but I am not going to make prejudgement on a guy that hasn't had his shot yet based on legalizing MJ. Right now we have much bigger issues facing our country............. On the other had if it was legal and taxed that would help the economy and keep us from paying taxes for people in jail for crimes that wouldn't have hurt anyone

S

Sativaindica

Well, seeing how his mother used cannabis when she was dying of cancer, I'm sure his opinions on MEDICAL cannabis are strong. Now, on legalization efforts are a different story. Not even I want weed to be legal across the board.

But this only further prooves what a wesea this guy really is, on how he gives up his morals and beliefs for the sake of being president. Thats some bullshit to me, and ever since his speech in florida where he praised 'gods chosen people' to be americas best friend, i knew he was a fake.

I have no doubt that he may support the issue, however, i am just as positive that he would not risk defending it for the sake of keeping up appearences. Like I said if the pharmacueticals industry is a major contributor, then there is NO WAY he is gonna support medical use.

I dont see how legislation would lead to us not growing, tho. I mean, if you can grow better than what you can buy, and its perfectly legal to grow your own, then why buy?

BTW, guys, Ron Paul is but another snake. he is a racist liberal whos primary concearn is privatization, destruction of social structures and cuting of public spending.

J

John Ditchweed

But this only further prooves what a wesea this guy really is, on how he gives up his morals and beliefs for the sake of being president. Thats some bullshit to me, and ever since his speech in florida where he praised 'gods chosen people' to be americas best friend, i knew he was a fake.

I have no doubt that he may support the issue, however, i am just as positive that he would not risk defending it for the sake of keeping up appearences. Like I said if the pharmacueticals industry is a major contributor, then there is NO WAY he is gonna support medical use.

I dont see how legislation would lead to us not growing, tho. I mean, if you can grow better than what you can buy, and its perfectly legal to grow your own, then why buy?

BTW, guys, Ron Paul is but another snake. he is a racist liberal whos primary concearn is privatization, destruction of social structures and cuting of public spending.

I grew up as Ron Paul's neighbor for quite afew years of my life, hung out with his kids but that is another story........... to get political place of power you have to be willing to give something to gain something, unfortantly thats the way it will always work with a two+ party system. Not saying a two party sytem is all bad but partisonship and looking out for the people's interest should be priority #1............ and I am not talking just the rich

F

Finalopagus

Obama needs to put some pot on the table before I roll with him, may fix the country but what bout us farmer's needs? What bout the time we have spent locked up'ed? What bout the life I have lost cuz I hermit away.... fuck change there an't no money in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom