hermed plants

• Thread starter ozarkgrey
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ozarkgrey

ozarkgrey

Supporter
so found a female that self pollinated. cut that one and check everything all looked good till today. not i have another 4 that went that way as well. all of those have been pulled and cut,,, my question is one i think i know the answer to and that is should just go ahead and cut the entire room now as we're only talking about another 4-5 plants in their 5-6 week of flower. i would rather grab em early and avoid the seeds. thoughts and suggestions ?

OG

Spiman2u

Spiman2u

Kill em. Throw outdoors if possible. I sent 10 envelopes this year of seeds. I only deal with FEM seeds now.. Auto"s when i have time.. Yes it sucks to throw away..at least not bugs-total wipe down- butt recondition soil if possible-if that is your medium.

growsince79

growsince79

so found a female that self pollinated. cut that one and check everything all looked good till today. not i have another 4 that went that way as well. all of those have been pulled and cut,,, my question is one i think i know the answer to and that is should just go ahead and cut the entire room now as we're only talking about another 4-5 plants in their 5-6 week of flower. i would rather grab em early and avoid the seeds. thoughts and suggestions ?

OG
Why are they Hermie. Where are the seeds from? Light leaks?

ozarkgrey

ozarkgrey

Supporter
Why are they Hermie. Where are the seeds from? Light leaks?

that i do not know sir. the seeds are dutch passion females, i caught the 1st one and thought i had it in time but the next day the whole room was gone. i cut the room last night since i was 5-6 weeks hoping to keep the seeds to a min. the room was mixed with GMO, DP, AI etc.... bummed not defeated

growsince79

growsince79

that i do not know sir. the seeds are dutch passion females, i caught the 1st one and thought i had it in time but the next day the whole room was gone. i cut the room last night since i was 5-6 weeks hoping to keep the seeds to a min. the room was mixed with GMO, DP, AI etc.... bummed not defeated
Sounds like environment stress not genetics.

Foutwenty71

Foutwenty71

Since we're talking about plants that like to Herm... Seems like a good place to ask this question. Has anybody ever tried to work a strain that herms on a regular basis which seems to be on a genetic level and get them to a point where they don't herm anymore? I guess the only reason I'm asking is I have a strain not sure what type of plant came out of a bag seed 5 or 6 years ago, wasn't even that good of smoke to begin with but it was the only stock that I had at the time and the grower in me just had to grow it.. 4th year I grew it out, it smelled like a dead skunk from nearly a quarter mile away... A quarter mile is an exaggeration but several hundred yards in all directions on a 42 inch tall plant but ended up producing 3 oz of decent smoke with about 15 to 20 mature seeds..it smells so strong that I'm fearful to growing it on a 4 acre property with no neighbors.. and with a lot of guys wishing that that roadkill skunk would come back I figured I would grow it out one more time maybe taking a mile down river and planted in the woods or something..please by all means entertain me with your knowledge.. it really was that potent... Every guest that showed up at my house first thing they ask me is where the hell is your plant 🥴... Well one of my closest neighbors is a local sheriff so you understand my reservations not to mention the fact I don't want it pollinating my SSH

Foutwenty71

Foutwenty71

Screenshot 20200611 112303
Screenshot 20200611 112326
Screenshot 20200611 112458
Screenshot 20200611 112527
. This is the plant in question that I mentioned up above anybody know what it is?..sorry about having to take a screenshot had to go deep into cloud storage to retrieve it and I'm not technology savvy

ozarkgrey

ozarkgrey

Supporter
so what is everyone's thoughts one beans i will be collecting? toss em all or look for keepers? from what i can gather a DP self pollinated 1st and nothing else showed any signs. i removed the DP came home from my gig and whole room has em minus 2. i cut those anyway. so keep and label em and try em as i go and give em to my buddies or just chalk it up to a loss? on the up side everything was far enough along to get me stoned, i just loath the seeds...
i have some new timber lights landing tuesday so i'm gonna clean up the room and make some improvements here and there and then empty my veg tent.
as for the stress that caused the herm to occur. i think it's on me, and my poor feeding schedule. too wet then too dry etc etc. i found the fabric pots to be a problem with the bottoms staying wet etc. i have air pots now and i'm hoping they will help me along with a regular feeding cycle.

growsince79

growsince79

so what is everyone's thoughts one beans i will be collecting? toss em all or look for keepers? from what i can gather a DP self pollinated 1st and nothing else showed any signs. i removed the DP came home from my gig and whole room has em minus 2. i cut those anyway. so keep and label em and try em as i go and give em to my buddies or just chalk it up to a loss? on the up side everything was far enough along to get me stoned, i just loath the seeds...
i have some new timber lights landing tuesday so i'm gonna clean up the room and make some improvements here and there and then empty my veg tent.
as for the stress that caused the herm to occur. i think it's on me, and my poor feeding schedule. too wet then too dry etc etc. i found the fabric pots to be a problem with the bottoms staying wet etc. i have air pots now and i'm hoping they will help me along with a regular feeding cycle.
Scatter them around town flower beds. Courthouse,police station strip malls park...,....

Spiman2u

Spiman2u

Imo the seeds might be prone to herm. Toss em and get regular seeds. Just say no to fems and auto
May I ask Why No Fems & Auto's? Saves me sooo much $$ in soil/mediums...I start in March with Gas Lantern Tech..TOO much effort to pull..umm

Grapefruitroop

Grapefruitroop

I agree with Growsince....no fems.
Why?
Well the biggest and only selling point of a feminized seed is the fact that you could save some time avoiding the selection of sex.
At the moment when they start to pop out herms or even full balled males then...thers no more reason to rape your wallet for em.
IME with fem seeds you gotta do exactly the same work of selection (thats the exact work that has not been done by your "trusted breeder")
not talking only about sexing but also talking about culling many weak ass aborts genetics that pop out of a batch.
Sure you could get lucky but when you start to play big games, the more fems you pop more problems....
Plus with Regs you can make your own crosses.
I got too many bad surpises with fems so for me is not worth the game anymore...
Op yes you should get rid of that plants also because some of the seed that you will get , they WILL carry the herm gene that will keep harassing you.
Its a pity because some of those herms have a very interesting terpene profile but.....better keep looking
good luck!

ozarkgrey

ozarkgrey

Supporter
i did this myself with my own ignorance nothing more. i grow in living soil and all was great till i got super high super later and used some free nutes i had on hand as a sample from NFTG. so as i said being ignorant and high i hit my plants with a low dose of that stuff durning week 5 of flower and it sent my durban poison plants into a crazy growth burst due to high nitrogen levels and it being the 1st time any of them had received any nutes of any kind. i'm keeping the ye ole maxim alive and well here "your 4th grow is your 1st grow"

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I agree with Growsince....no fems.
Why?
Well the biggest and only selling point of a feminized seed is the fact that you could save some time avoiding the selection of sex.
At the moment when they start to pop out herms or even full balled males then...thers no more reason to rape your wallet for em.
IME with fem seeds you gotta do exactly the same work of selection (thats the exact work that has not been done by your "trusted breeder")
not talking only about sexing but also talking about culling many weak ass aborts genetics that pop out of a batch.
Sure you could get lucky but when you start to play big games, the more fems you pop more problems....
Plus with Regs you can make your own crosses.
I got too many bad surpises with fems so for me is not worth the game anymore...
Op yes you should get rid of that plants also because some of the seed that you will get , they WILL carry the herm gene that will keep harassing you.
Its a pity because some of those herms have a very interesting terpene profile but.....better keep looking
good luck!

Not in my experience. Well bred seeds are good regardless of feminized or regular. Poorly bred seeds have problems whether fem or reg.

I have grown out 100’s of fem seeds with very few reversals and they were likely my fault from nutrient stress as i tend to reveg cuttings and try again and no clone of the hermied plants ever reversed on me.

Top Bottom