Herms Have Their Place

• Thread starter kansabis
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

kansabis

So I know that most growers can't stand hermies and would do anything to avoid them at all cost but they do have a place and purpose for the cannabis plant and some growers and breeders. In its natural environment most or at least many sativa landrace are herms,not 100% sure why and there is a couple good theories. Beyond that fact they allow us feminized seeds even though the herm trait is humanly forced most of the time for this to occur and they were created this way for a reason even if we don't understand it so lets not focus too heavily on trying to breed out the herm traits all the time and just be diligent growers and breeders be honest of the herm tendencies of your strains because it wont scare away all growers such as myself. I've had a few herm plants before and never pulled any of them. Some were genetic and some my fault due to newbie light leaks. I simply picked off the nanners before they matures and ended up with quality bud and the ones I didn't catch did create a few seeds but not enough to affect the quality or yield too badly. How do you feel about hermaphrodite cannabis plants?

Dunge

Dunge

I see hermaphroditic tenancies as just another trait to be selected against in breeding.
Had our ancestors not spent the last 50 thousand years selecting for favorable traits, all of our pot would be ditch weed.
There is simply nothing desirable about hermies if the objective is good seed free buds.

K

kansabis

I agree if that is the only goal to have sinsemilla,then no germs but germs just like males are just as important because females can't produce seeds(without introducing herm traits/genetics).

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Colloidal silver will net you fem.seeds
Seeds from.a hermie will 99% of the time lead to inferior hermie genetics. There is the rare occasion that it actually works for the + like with the gg4 strain.

I don' have time for inferior hermie genetics in my garden. They get da boot asap.

xavier7995

xavier7995

That trait exists in the wild because of environmental factors and a plants desire to continue existing, life will find a way as Jurassic park so eloquently put it. That trait should be bred out of cannabis if the purpose is to grow the seed in any sort of environment other than one where you want to come back in 10 years and find pot plants still there.

K

kansabis

Exactly for the growers mostly like us we want nothing to do with hermies but as far as wild/landrace genetics I think their are people and places that do want to have it there in 10years,have had it for 1000s of years and many depend upon it for various reasons and uses including seeds for eating.

gravekat303

gravekat303

Premium Member
Supporter
So I know that most growers can't stand hermies and would do anything to avoid them at all cost but they do have a place and purpose for the cannabis plant and some growers and breeders. In its natural environment most or at least many sativa landrace are herms,not 100% sure why and there is a couple good theories. Beyond that fact they allow us feminized seeds even though the herm trait is humanly forced most of the time for this to occur and they were created this way for a reason even if we don't understand it so lets not focus too heavily on trying to breed out the herm traits all the time and just be diligent growers and breeders be honest of the herm tendencies of your strains because it wont scare away all growers such as myself. I've had a few herm plants before and never pulled any of them. Some were genetic and some my fault due to newbie light leaks. I simply picked off the nanners before they matures and ended up with quality bud and the ones I didn't catch did create a few seeds but not enough to affect the quality or yield too badly. How do you feel about hermaphrodite cannabis plants?
Hermies can fuck off they serve no real purpose in modern day cultivation and should be bread out

K

kansabis

Yeah and I figured that was the majority opinion here,for the modern/medical/rec grower-no hermies or even males for that matter,for the cannabis plant itself and its future-whatever keeps the genetics alive.

xavier7995

xavier7995

That indigenous cannabis, I see that as closer to hemp. Our dope smoking plants are a different beast. Tackling that herm trait is one of the first things breeders working landraces do.

Regarding those fine native folks, unless they are growing for drug purposes, are probably not importing outside genetics. The gene pool would remain as is.

K

kansabis

True true,I read about the sativa hermie traits from DJ short talking about his breeding trials and how it was very common and took alot of time and work to breed out.

K

kansabis

This topic got me thinking that cannabis can/does herm for the continuation of its genetic line but as human hermies can't reproduce with themselves or others so what purpose do they serve? (Other than being living creatures) Just a genetic probability that happens from time to time?

K

kansabis

Also would you buy beans from a breeder if they said their was any kind of hermie chance? If so what percentage would be allowable to you,20,25,30%?? I ask because SGG is releasing a strain privately not publicly due to herms in the trial run but they cost 100/10 versus 75-88/13 of their publicly releases lines with no recognized hermie issues. Something just doesn't add up to me in that whole equation.

gravekat303

gravekat303

Premium Member
Supporter
Also would you buy beans from a breeder if they said their was any kind of hermie chance? If so what percentage would be allowable to you,20,25,30%?? I ask because SGG is releasing a strain privately not publicly due to herms in the trial run but they cost 100/10 versus 75-88/13 of their publicly releases lines with no recognized hermie issues. Something just doesn't add up to me in that whole equation.
It would have to be something super special for me to buy knowing there were high number of herm traits

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

This may not be a popular point of view but everyone wants their seeds to give them the plant that is like the clone only holy grail.

Problem is many of the best plants came from hermie seeds. Bag seeds even.

My favorite Thai and diesel heavy strains tend to show single nanners at weeks 8 and 10. If there are a lot I know something is wrong. If there are only a few to pick off I did a great job.

Even with more than a few nanners I never find more than a few seeds. And the seeds don't always grow hermie plants. Other phenos emerge.

And the breeder of these seeds complains that the pollen is never enough or viable enough to make seeds for his business.

Also. He likes his strains at 8 weeks and I like them better at 10 in my room so he doesn't see the same result as me maybe.

Lots of variables to consider with these plants.

I had a Medical seeds sour diesel seed itself a lot more than I have ever seen before and it even got one of my regular strains. It looked and smelled fantastic. I didn't want to remove it.

Those seeds were separated. And I won't be planting any more of that brand sour diesel again. But the weed was killer i tells ya!

Genetics have variables. I don't just blindly trust them all. Don't want my room seeded either.

But I do believe the best pot plants have a tendency to grow male parts. And all of them will in the right circumstances. Hopefully the breeder picked the right plants.

Because it is their natural tendency. It can't be bred out. Just minimized. Look how many more nanners and balls noobs see than experienced growers.

K

kansabis

This may not be a popular point of view but everyone wants their seeds to give them the plant that is like the clone only holy grail.

Problem is many of the best plants came from hermie seeds. Bag seeds even.

My favorite Thai and diesel heavy strains tend to show single nanners at weeks 8 and 10. If there are a lot I know something is wrong. If there are only a few to pick off I did a great job.

Even with more than a few nanners I never find more than a few seeds. And the seeds don't always grow hermie plants. Other phenos emerge.

And the breeder of these seeds complains that the pollen is never enough or viable enough to make seeds for his business.

Also. He likes his strains at 8 weeks and I like them better at 10 in my room so he doesn't see the same result as me maybe.

Lots of variables to consider with these plants.

I had a Medical seeds sour diesel seed itself a lot more than I have ever seen before and it even got one of my regular strains. It looked and smelled fantastic. I didn't want to remove it.

Those seeds were separated. And I won't be planting any more of that brand sour diesel again. But the weed was killer i tells ya!

Genetics have variables. I don't just blindly trust them all. Don't want my room seeded either.

But I do believe the best pot plants have a tendency to grow male parts. And all of them will in the right circumstances. Hopefully the breeder picked the right plants.

Because it is their natural tendency. It can't be bred out. Just minimized. Look how many more nanners and balls noobs see than experienced growers.
We are of a very similar mindset and observation you and I. Lol thnx for making me not feel so alone.

Latest posts

Top Bottom