Hey Farmers, Better Hold On To Your Seeds And Genetics Wow

• Thread starter jumpincactus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BigCube

BigCube

I am a firm believer that autos will be the form of regulation. Any Gov approved seeds will be auto only. Forcing you to pay hundreds for their shitty inferior autos.

Right from the beginning I knew autos were the worst thing to ever happen to cannabis. And suckers are buying it up like the sheep they are.

Anyways. As previously stated, if the government makes it too shitty, people will just do what they did before. Leave it to the government to fuck everything up. Making it legal by making it illegal. Yeah that's the us government for you.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Yep.. Its silly up here. Govt sells for $8-15 per gram, no bulk discounts. So ounces can cost $250-$400. You can go to an unlicensed black market dispensary and buy an ounce of better weed for $150, or you can find a local grower pretty easily and buy it for $100 an ounce.

The govt put so much red tape and regulation on legal production to keep out all the regular Joe's, that its backfiring because now legal weed is too expensive to produce at a competitive rate.

I do believe this is all a prelude to something much worse though... Its only a matter of time before police start cracking down.

Just a couple weeks ago a young couple in Revelstoke opened their home to the public for a garden tour in the neighborhood. An off duty cop happened to be on the tour and the next week the couple had their house trashed in a search and their 3 pot plants confiscated because they were "visible to the public through invitiation"... Even though they were on the property and not visible to anybody unless you were in their backyard. Pretty Lame..

Seriously, read this... Its nuts.

I havent registered as a caregiver for a couple of years now. Just a medical patient. I believe the big 5 patient caregivers will be at risk next. They are allowed 12 plants for each patient and 12 for themselves.

Im staying far under the radar. Funny new pot store owners i have talked to still want out flowers and edibles.

One of the biggest problems i think with regulated weed and growers/ dealers is we are all already used to being criminals.

No big deal. ;-)

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I havent registered as a caregiver for a couple of years now. Just a medical patient. I believe the big 5 patient caregivers will be at risk next. They are allowed 12 plants for each patient and 12 for themselves.

Im staying far under the radar. Funny new pot store owners i have talked to still want out flowers and edibles.

One of the biggest problems i think with regulated weed and growers/ dealers is we are all already used to being criminals.

No big deal. ;-)

I agree, and I feel the medical growers here will be the next at risk. It's no secret that's where all the black market dispensary pot comes from. I could make a phone call today and buy a license to grow 245 plants, all it would cost is about $900...

But I also lay really low, my license is only for a comparatively small number of plants and I usually only flower 9-16 at a time. And my Meds are for me. You wont see any of my pot in a black market dispensary.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter

No big deal. ;-)

Yeah you are on a real slippery slope with that. As I said in another thread all it takes is for them to kick it up to the Fed level in a case now all of a sudden you are in conspiracy / distribution charge territory (in the US). This has been used quite a few times in different cases. Big problem for you since they will have all the paperwork and listing of a caregiver with you basically admitting it. Specially if you are doing it outside of a licensed facility with no over site or inspections aka a commercial spot. That is where they will get you on it. I've always been a skeptic. Even being in a med state with a card and a high plant count I have never listed caregiver on any of my stuff and I fly super under the radar. Still grow like I did in a non med/rec state. Way to many easy targets and I'm def not one of them.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Yeah you are on a real slippery slope with that. As I said in another thread all it takes is for them to kick it up to the Fed level in a case now all of a sudden you are in conspiracy / distribution charge territory (in the US). This has been used quite a few times in different cases. Big problem for you since they will have all the paperwork and listing of a caregiver with you basically admitting it. Specially if you are doing it outside of a licensed facility with no over site or inspections aka a commercial spot. That is where they will get you on it. I've always been a skeptic. Even being in a med state with a card and a high plant count I have never listed caregiver on any of my stuff and I fly super under the radar. Still grow like I did in a non med/rec state. Way to many easy targets and I'm def not one of them.

Equally bad if not worse in Canada. I'm honestly surprised at what is going on, there are black market dispensaries everywhere still even though it's illegal and the minimum sentences for violation of the cannabis act are potentially life changing. It's being allowed to go on for some reason and that makes me very suspicious. I wouldnt doubt if they are letting it happen in the open to gather intelligence and evidence before really cracking down. Just having a medical prescription is a risk these days in my mind, but I'm not doing this to make money. My grow is insanely small compared to some of the well known operations in my neighborhood. I'm am a very small fry and I have a legitimate medical reason to provide pot for myself so i dont see myself being a target, but you never know how Law enforcement will use their power... All it takes is one cop with a bad attitude.

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

Black market is doing pretty well in Canada even with country wide legalization.
And it's because corporations are greedy.

But, If some of these companies develop and patent GMO's I could see it creating serious demand among the moron public just like proprietary hops do. Try and find a craft beer that isnt made with proprietary hops that we average people arent allowed to grow.
And I've had GMO pot... not gonna lie it was devastatingly strong. Pink kush triploid that was consistently testing in the 30-35% cannabinoid range. Shit would sit you right down.. Mind you that was a GMO developed on the black market.. lol

How was the plant GMO? What was the inserted gene, and who did the gene insertion?

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
How was the plant GMO? What was the inserted gene, and who did the gene insertion?

Lol do you seriously think I know who bred it?
GMO doesnt have to mean a gene is inserted, it means the genetics are modified. In the case of the pink kush that was going around the lower mainland BC it was a tetraploid or triploid variety meaning it has either 3 or 4 sets of chromosomes instead of 2 like a regular plant. I have no idea how it was produced originally from a scientific perspective but having grown it, I can verify it was a freaky mutant. It didnt do so well after about 5-6 generations of cuttings though for some reason and became a real pita to grow. Havent seen it since about 2012 or so.

Last edited:
Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
Equally bad if not worse in Canada. I'm honestly surprised at what is going on, there are black market dispensaries everywhere still even though it's illegal and the minimum sentences for violation of the cannabis act are potentially life changing. It's being allowed to go on for some reason and that makes me very suspicious. I wouldnt doubt if they are letting it happen in the open to gather intelligence and evidence before really cracking down. Just having a medical prescription is a risk these days in my mind, but I'm not doing this to make money. My grow is insanely small compared to some of the well known operations in my neighborhood. I'm am a very small fry and I have a legitimate medical reason to provide pot for myself so i dont see myself being a target, but you never know how Law enforcement will use their power... All it takes is one cop with a bad attitude.
So people just open dispensary’s without any paperwork? That’s great.

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

Lol do you seriously think I know who bred it?
GMO doesnt have to mean a gene is inserted, it means the genetics are modified. In the case of the pink kush that was going around the lower mainland BC it was a tetraploid or triploid variety meaning it has either 3 or 4 sets of chromosomes instead of 2 like a regular plant. I have no idea how it was produced originally from a scientific perspective but having grown it, I can verify it was a freaky mutant. It didnt do so well after about 5-6 generations of cuttings though for some reason and became a real pita to grow. Havent seen it since about 2012 or so.

google polyploidy.

Actually GMO does mean a gene has to be inserted or manipulated in a controlled environment, otherwise it is just breeding. Mutations are 100% natural, they are not due to genetic modification. Diploid and polyploid features are just mutations not genetic alterations. Solar radiation is constantly causing mutations in our cells, yet I doubt you would say you are a GMO. It is far more likely you simply have experienced a plant that had a completely natural genetic mutation that a grower thought was interesting rather than a true GMO plant.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Actually GMO does mean a gene has to be inserted or manipulated in a controlled environment, otherwise it is just breeding. Mutations are 100% natural, they are not due to genetic modification. Diploid and polyploid features are just mutations not genetic alterations. Solar radiation is constantly causing mutations in our cells, yet I doubt you would say you are a GMO. It is far more likely you simply have experienced a plant that had a completely natural genetic mutation that a grower thought was interesting rather than a true GMO plant.

Well you clearly know more about GMOs than I do... you will have to forgive me, I stand corrected. The guy who gave me the cut said it was a GMO and the seeds of the breeding parents had been treated with a chemical to modify the chromosomes. I guess I dont know enough about the technical definition of GMO's to comment about it..

Last edited:
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Well you clearly know more about GMOs than I do... you will have to forgive me, I stand corrected. The guy who gave me the cut said it was a GMO and the seeds of the breeding parents had been treated with a chemical to modify the chromosomes. I guess I dont know enough about the technical definition of GMO's to comment about it..

Was it colchene (sp?). Thats the polyploid making chemical that supposedly made master kush (hi-rise).

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

I assure you I have never doubted your intelligence or ability to speak on any topic; thus why I began with questions about the history of the plant you had grown. In none of your previous responses did you disclose the parent plants were treated in any manner. That small piece of information makes a world of difference in this conversation. I am now truly intrigued by this plant you had, polyploidy is not an uncommon trait in plants so why treat a plant to simply force a natural mutation? I wonder if polyploidy was a side effect of treating the chromosomes to do something else that made it more potent. I also wonder what it was treated with. If we treat our plants with colloidal silver to alter an expression of the genes it already posses, make a female plant produce male flowers, is that GMO cannabis? Personally I would tend to think not, but a chemical was applied that did alter the chromosomes. Seeing as you know of attempts to clone the plant, I can only assume you tried yourself, and they weren’t very stable I wonder if the trait would have been passed on in breeding. If so, then the gene was permanently altered but made the plant difficult to keep alive through cloning.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I assure you I have never doubted your intelligence or ability to speak on any topic; thus why I began with questions about the history of the plant you had grown. In none of your previous responses did you disclose the parent plants were treated in any manner. That small piece of information makes a world of difference in this conversation. I am now truly intrigued by this plant you had, polyploidy is not an uncommon trait in plants so why treat a plant to simply force a natural mutation? I wonder if polyploidy was a side effect of treating the chromosomes to do something else that made it more potent. I also wonder what it was treated with. If we treat our plants with colloidal silver to alter an expression of the genes it already posses, make a female plant produce male flowers, is that GMO cannabis? Personally I would tend to think not, but a chemical was applied that did alter the chromosomes. Seeing as you know of attempts to clone the plant, I can only assume you tried yourself, and they weren’t very stable I wonder if the trait would have been passed on in breeding. If so, then the gene was permanently altered but made the plant difficult to keep alive through cloning.

Lots of good questions that I honestly cant answer. I had the plant for about 5 or 6 generations of clones and it initially was a monster. Huge gnarly leaves and almost cartoonish looking buds. But each generation of clone it became more difficult to work with, took longer to root, started becoming a really picky eater, bud structure was less dense and yields went down and I ultimately binned it.
From what i can recall of the conversation i had with the guy who gave it to me, One of the parent seeds was treated to create a tetraploid. I honestly dont really understand any of it or how accurate the info was, or if the genetic traits could be passed on but if I recall it couldnt be bred, only cloned.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
So people just open dispensary’s without any paperwork? That’s great.

Pretty much. A good friend of mine owns the only dispensary on the island. Dont know how he gets away with it, but its run as a cash only business and he has no license to sell pot, and get all his supply from people with med licenses.

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

Let those assholes at Monsanto do what they want, nobody is going to force you to buy there seeds, or products made from there weed, Neil Young hates Monsanto, I do, everyone I know does, first boycott the co, second weed needs bio diversity, this is the job of the small breeder, third I don't buy weed at the store I'm not stupid enough to pay $55 1/8, I don't go there, I grow, fourth if Monsanto floods the market with gmo weed simply don't buy it, I can get an 0z for $200 good weed I just don't understand why people would pay those prices, and fith the geni is out of the bottle, most states allow you to grow 6 plants, I'll panic when they start shutting down seedbanks and I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Being a homebrewer I can easily relate this to what happened to hops.
Proprietary hops developed by universities and other industry partners like Mosaic, citra and galaxy are pretty much all most brewers and consumers of craft beer want these days. The lupulin content and terpene profiles are head and shoulders above anything else on the market. I use them myself because simply put, they're incredible. But you cant buy the plants anywhere to grow yourself due to patents. They cornered the market by using god knows what breeding techniques to create plants that are more flavorful and pungent than anything we consumers can produce ourselves.

Latest posts

Top Bottom