Hey farmers. I'm new here. Pleased to meet you all.

• Thread starter CatFunt
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CatFunt

CatFunt

Hi, i'm Cat,
I've been growing indoors for 5 years using a 4'X4' grow tent. I started using coir but moved to a "wilma" about 4 years ago. I was shown what to do from seed to harvest by a friend and i have stuck strictly to his methods but now i would like to further my horizons so I am about to change from 2X 600watt HPS in a cool-tube to LED.
I'm happy to help anyone who needs it...(if i can). And if anyone can shine some light on how i choose an LED set-up for my 4X4 i'd be even happier....(pun intended...no apologies ;-) ....)

.....Addition:- I've been looking at the Optic 8+ from Optic LED ...But it's a jungle out there and i don't really know what i'm looking at.

Last edited:
BigCube

BigCube

Hi, i'm Cat,
I've been growing indoors for 5 years using a 4'X4' grow tent. I started using coir but moved to a "wilma" about 4 years ago. I was shown what to do from seed to harvest by a friend and i have stuck strictly to his methods but now i would like to further my horizons so I am about to change from 2X 600watt HPS in a cool-tube to LED.
I'm happy to help anyone who needs it...(if i can). And if anyone can shine some light on how i choose an LED set-up for my 4X4 i'd be even happier....(pun intended...no apologies ;-) ....)

.....Addition:- I've been looking at the Optic 8+ from Optic LED ...But it's a jungle out there and i don't really know what i'm looking at.

Many of us LED growers are now using Quantum board or fluence bar type setups. Utilizing the samsung lm301s and meanwell drivers. These seem to be the best in current LED technology.

You can go with a name brand like spyder farmer, they can be found on amazon and ebay. Or you can save over 50% and go with an off brand fixture. Kingbrite seems to be a solid choice. Many of us are using them and have been for a while now.

As for what you need. The rule of thumb for led is 30 to 35w per sq foot. You're in a 4x4 so:

4x4x30=480
4x4x35=560

You want 480w to 560w of led in your 4x4. I would reccomend 2 x 240w kingbrite quantum boards or a single 480w bar style kingbrite.

You an also choose your spectrum and add on red and or uv if you want.

CatFunt

CatFunt

Many of us LED growers are now using Quantum board or fluence bar type setups. Utilizing the samsung lm301s and meanwell drivers. These seem to be the best in current LED technology.

You can go with a name brand like spyder farmer, they can be found on amazon and ebay. Or you can save over 50% and go with an off brand fixture. Kingbrite seems to be a solid choice. Many of us are using them and have been for a while now.

As for what you need. The rule of thumb for led is 30 to 35w per sq foot. You're in a 4x4 so:

4x4x30=480
4x4x35=560

You want 480w to 560w of led in your 4x4. I would reccomend 2 x 240w kingbrite quantum boards or a single 480w bar style kingbrite.

4x4x30=480
4x4x35=560

Thank you for you advice. It definitely gives me a good guideline.
Merry Christmas

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

Welcome @CatFunt

Lots of opinions on lighting for that size space covered in this thread, beware it got a bit long and argumentative

An impressive demonstration of the Gavita in this thread

Latest posts

Top Bottom