Heywood's Frosted Altoids organic indoor soil grow

• Thread starter Heywood
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Heywood

Heywood

How are yours coming along? Off to a good start?

Mine got sidetracked just a bit.

The FoxFarms Happy Frog soil I used must of had some fungus spores in it that was causing this yellow mushroom growth that we figured out to be Leucocoprinus birnbaumii. (Thanks @TomH )

While not harmful to the plants, it is not something a human would want to ingest... plus once they matured and grew caps, the spores would have been distributed all over my grow room.

All 5 seedlings had it in their cups.

So. I went and got new soil - this time coco-based Empire Builder that I have used in the past.
Pulled all the seedlings out of their infected soil and rinsed it all off of the roots and re-planted them into new cups/new soil.
They surprisingly haven't shown any signs of transplant shock. They haven't missed a beat.

Here's the fungus amongus:

Yellow side

And happy in their new homes:

Transplant

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Boy, if that isn’t an oddball thing to encounter! Looks like you’ve got it under control and back on course. I’ve transplanted every size plants and never encountered a problem with it. I think some people are kind of unreasonably Fearful of it. Will keep checking in with you. Take it easy man!

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Boy, if that isn’t an oddball thing to encounter! Looks like you’ve got it under control and back on course. I’ve transplanted every size plants and never encountered a problem with it. I think some people are kind of unreasonably Fearful of it. Will keep checking in with you. Take it easy man!
Good morning Heywood! FA Still chugging along. Hope things are going smooth for you! Take it easy!
B2E72EFC D379 4453 AB4A A2F4E5294775
B72DEE8A 2BCA 47BC 9C16 0DE5F7AE8E07

Heywood

Heywood

Hey @Oldchucky
Chucky - Thanks for the update.

In that bottom picture, is that one Altoid in that pot?? So damn bushy!
I don't know how many I will be able to do in my 5x5. Holy crap.

Mine are coming along nicely now that they settled back in after the transplant.
I just top-dressed them today with worm castings. I will have to water them in after the next dark period.
Hoping to get a little nitrogen boost off of that to offset some of the light green color.
But you mentioned yours also started off light-green.. so maybe just a strain trait.

Had a few leaf edges curling just a bit from a few days back. Turned the LED's down to 35% power instead of 45% and that corrected that.

Top dress

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
No brother. There are two in that pot one bent towards us and the other Bent away. The one bent towards us is the bushy one while the one bent away has seemed like the Sicklier Of the two. In the future I will Stay away from the two plants per pot routine. Another lesson. They were both in somewhat depleted soil that had males in them. So I think that contributed to their nitrogen deficiency. So I gave them a shot of nitrogen and the one closest to us ate it up and is looking good while the other one is a little more hesitant. These are the only plants that I have added anything to other than recharge over the summer. So if yours continue to look n Deficient I would consider giving them a bump. And I tried top dressing roots organic Grow on them first but that didn’t do shit! So I tried something else that works just fine. But I will get crucified if I divulge what that is. Lol! Maybe it is just a strain That is nitrogen hungry. Who knows what they are looking OK now and starting to flower. Sorry for the long winded Ness and hang in there brother!

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Fuck it! What i Used was miracle Gro performance organics grow. I’m omri Certified which is more than you can say about most Fox Farms stuff. The difference? Roots organic N is seven. 2% soluble and 5% insoluble. The MG is 11. 9% water soluble and 2% insoluble. Only mixed up 1 gallon of it and poured it on the frosted Altoids and at least the one started greening up within a week. The other I may try some more and may not seeing as they are in the same pot and competing with each other. If I need a quick acting N Bump I will use the MG again in a heartbeat. Not long term, just for a quick shot. Just my two cents. And by the way, both companies are owned by Bayer.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Sorry about the misinformation. Hydro farm may not be owned by bayer. Didn’t do my due diligence!

Last edited:
Heywood

Heywood

Haha. You are, without a doubt, entertaining. :)
Thanks for posting.

Have either of those shown sex yet??

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Haha. You are, without a doubt, entertaining. :)
Thanks for posting.

Have either of those shown sex yet??
Yep. Both female. One plant is 3/4 of the pot. The other is kind of a slow girl but I didn’t have the heart to whack it! Just kind of Thrown into used soil on a whim, late, and one of them is showing some spunk! I think you’ll love them if you can get some girls!

Heywood

Heywood

Five days later they are this big.

A little bit of Mag deficiency, I think.
Gave them a foliar feeding today with some Epsom salts before they went to bed.
Next regular feeding they will get the full menu of goodies.

I believe I am just going to go straight from these solo cups into their final 5 gallon fabric pots soon.

Fa 0903

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

Five days later they are this big.

A little bit of Mag deficiency, I think.
Gave them a foliar feeding today with some Epsom salts before they went to bed.
Next regular feeding they will get the full menu of goodies.

I believe I am just going to go straight from these solo cups into their final 5 gallon fabric pots soon.

View attachment 1277933

Nice healthy lookin baby wizardlings

unlike yer avatar

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Let's not bring Chucky's manscaping practices into this.
He's already under the impression that two in the pot is better than 1 in the hand.
He ain't quite right in the mind, yanno.
🤣

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Apples and oranges! You indoor growers are into, control, dominate, make that plant bend to your will! You will eat, drink, and sleep, when I tell you to! Me, I just stick the plant in a pot, throw it out into the sun, and water it, and tell it go ahead and do whatever the fuck it is that you do, i’ll see you in a day or two. Heywood Should have no problem subjugating those plants and forcing them to fit in his grow space. 🤪

Top Bottom