Hi new member …I am new to indoor growing. I am about' to start construction on a grow room, my first . I live in upstate NY zone 4

• Thread starter Trailertrish
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Homegrownbuilds

Homegrownbuilds

I wouldn’t paint over panda. But if you added sheets of drywall or plywood over the studs, you could paint with that dry lock basement waterproofed paint or that red seal stuff plumbers tile guys use in showers on the bottom 4 feet of the wall at least. And on the floor. If you’re covering floor to ceiling and taping all the seams, you’d essentially create a water tight box anyways so paint would be redundant. I’m trying to figure out how to build mine now I’m in MA and it’s getting chilly.

Anthem

Anthem

Hi, I am new to this site, new to indoor gardening. I am trying to build a 9x9’ grow room in an unheated, R13 insulated garage, next to aa cool storage room for veggies. Any suggestions or experiences doing this on a budget are appreciated. My winters get to -20F so simply a heated tent would not be sufficient. TIA
You basically have the information you need based on the climate zone you live in. Take a look online at Climate Zone #4 and add about 1" of Either Polystyrene to the wall assemblies or Polyurethane. Beware this stuff has went thru the roof cost wise in the last 12 months.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Let me get this straight after i wrap the room with panda film and tape the joints…floor, walls, and ceiling. I should paint every thing? So I can clean with a sprayer (water or disinfectant)…..
No. Waterproof it before the panda film. You don't have to clean with a pressure washer, that was just an example.
You do want it sealed to prevent mold or mildew getting a foothold.

mojavegreen

mojavegreen

A lot of overkill advice, lol. Waterproof White paint. Skip the panda. If you keep your humidity in check you shouldn’t see mold. A mini-split for HVAC. Option: run HID’s in winter, LED’s in summer. More insulation the better. Put one of these in there.
3F537FF6 5953 4D17 A97E 2EB78BA08617

Trailertrish

Trailertrish

Sheet-rocking begins. Ordering ventilation equipment room size 9X9X8 AC Infinity T 6 cloudline with backdraft preventer.
Does it matter where i place the air exit point in the growroom? ( there will be 3 circulation fans )

F6EA2012 3A72 471C 894C 4DB7CFF1DF0A
13971D2F FE54 4C14 B8DF 41E87B2CB686
Kanzeon

Kanzeon

The air exit should always be at the highest point possible. Heat rises.

Hypothetically yes, but in a cold climate grow like this in which residual heat would be beneficial it's better to have a way to trap it (and humidity, as freezing temps freeze things like water) as well. One side vent with a reversible fan is probably all that needs imo- I'm saying this growing in the same climate.

Definitely agree with sealing the room.

OP, are the lights going to be LED's or HID? There's a substantial difference in the kind of electrical components you'll need for that size of grow depending on which one.

The heat from the LED drivers can be useful for a room that size, but it might need more heat than that in the winter. The power draw is much lower with LED's than HID's, plus the bulbs don't have to be replaced yearly (or ever) and aren't a fire hazard if touched with bare fingers.

If you're doing HID, you'll have to find a way to cool it during the summer but likely won't have to use supplemental heating in the winter. That might mean two vents across the room from each other, one for intake and one for exhaust.

You're likely going to need a humidifier, but can probably get away without a dehumidifier because ventilation under freezing temps effects both temp and humidity.

So your power draw is going to look something like 4 450 watt led/ lights, a humidifier, a bunch of fans, maybe a small heater. I haven't found AC to be necessary. Make sure things are wired for that plus more.

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
The air exit should always be at the highest point possible. Heat rises.
I like to make the air into a vortex in the bottom of the room, or tent. Then it swirls upward. I'm doing clockwise right now, but I'm going rogue next grow, and do counter clockwise. 🤪

ie. two fans in opposite sides blowing different directions. Or 4, all lined up, blowing it in a big circle.

Latest posts

Top Bottom