high-efficiency plasma lamps

• Thread starter Dr. Detroit
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dr. Detroit

Dr. Detroit

Ever hear of High Efficiency Plasma (HEP) lamps?

Doing some research, and am very interested myself in them.

Anyone have experience?

Green Mopho

Green Mopho

Not economically feasible yet. The company I spoke to about it said their most powerful bulb was equivalent to somewhere between 400-600W HPS or MH, but with a fuller spectrum. However, they cost between $1,600 to $2,000 depending on the style of fixture, manufacturer, etc. You can get a full digital 1000W setup for less than $400 total, and if you are really feeling the need for extra specturm, check out the Hortilux Blues for some supplemental spectrum, for less than $180, not thousands. Not to mention, these plasma lights aren't proven in the horticultural field, where MH and HPS have been used for a long while! The only plus side I see to the plasmas is that the bulb (supposedly) lasts forever.

Here is the plant light sensitivity scale (rainbow) with the spectrum of a plasma light (in white) and a HPS light (in grey) overlaid on it.
HPS_solar_genesis.jpg

This is a standard Hortilux SuperHPS
lu1000bHTLen-sd-r.jpg

and this is the Hortilux Blue
mt1000b-dHORhtl-sd-r.gif

as you can see, you can create a similar spectrum using a combination of HPS and the HortiBlues, IMO.

I think plasmas are promising for the future, but much like LEDs, are just not suitable, practical, or economical just yet for the everyday grower.

Just my 2¢

Top Bottom