High school football, My 15 yr old is a beast.

• Thread starter Kendo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Kendo

Kendo

My youngest son is a beast on the football field.
I am so proud of him in so many ways. He is so much different from how I was as kid. He really has his shit together unlike me at that age.
His teachers/principal/coaches everybody loves him. He does well in school and has a plan for college and beyond.
We have been inseparable for many years, sharing so much quality time together. I HAVE BEEN BLESSED AND AM THANKFUL BEYOND MEASURE.

I have been able to coach him as DB, secondary coach since 4th grade. I cannot possibly tell you how many hours we spent together watching film of the best d'backs in action, identifying offenses, calling defenses against formations on NFL Sunday's and endless " shoulder center mass head on the ball"one on one tackle dummy drills he and I performed over those 5 years.
5 very special years.
He had a tuff road just to get on the field. We live in a rural area where everybodies granddad went to school together, real tight knit.
He played next to nothing his first year. He did well, forced a few fumbles with his technique and took a running back out of the game. Not bad for about 10 plays all year.
The next year he wanted to play. We had discussed what it was going to take,.
He had not gotten the feeling from delivering a bone jarring hit yet, he wasn't sure, maybe even a little timid?
First practice 5th grade, Oklahoma drills, Michael Hit the ball carrier so hard the ball went 15 yards in the air, switch positions, Michael carrying the ball. Kid puts his arm in between his chest and Michael,"snap!" arm broken.
Next practice. Oklahoma drills, Michael hits the ball carrier so hard his thigh muscle tore.
Next practice, You guessed it, Oklahoma drills, Michael hit this kid center mass so hard he got whiplash and quit football. The head coach told Michael he had won Middle linebacker position and he could ease up A LOT!
That year Michael was given the name MadDog because he would Growl like a beast when he was zeroed in on the ball carrier. You could hear it in the stands.

6th 7th and 8th grade Michael was Defensive captain calling all plays on the field. He planted a dozen Daisies in those years. Offensive players were terrified of Michael. We won the local youth football championship all three of those years.

He has developed a division/county wide reputation as a solid defensive player who delivers," literally" bone crushing hits on ANYBODY with THE BALL.
Now he has gone on to High School ball. Starting varsity as a freshman and taking it all VERY seriously. He understands what an honor it is to START varsity as a freshman. He played D end and D guard. He got 12 sacks from the interior. He took out 2 QB's "one for the year" and 3 running backs. Opposing coaches were game planning around him and purposely seeking him out to talk to him.. He also played JV most weeks seeing 6 and sometimes 7 quarters between varsity and JV.
We have been approached by recruiters but we aint goin nowhere.
At 6', 230 lbs he is now totally into lifting weights and has become so damn strong. Lifting for about 5 months he has already caught up to the kids who have been lifting for a couple of years.I pity the fools with the ball next year.

Confuten1

Confuten1

exploitin strengths - perfectin weaknessess
Supporter
Respect @Kendo !

Confu

hotRod

hotRod

Killer bro
I coached Junior and High School for 10 years and can appreciate what your talking about. Very rewarding it must feel to see you sons work pay off.

Props to you on dong it right and being a great father

Kendo

Kendo

He sounds like a nice fit over here doggie... He got BULLDOG written all over him.. The best part is the Bulldog Growl b4 the bone crushing hit....we need that big dog over here. .. Grrrrrrrrr!!!!
OOOOOOROOOOOF!! You can imagine the smile on my face the first time he did that in a game. The parents were like," WHO's kid is that" Nobody knew him because he had not played much. by the end of the season, EVERYBODY KNEW WHO HE WAS.
1,000's AND 1,000'S of repetitions later, The boys technique is textbook perfection. His eyes are ALWAYS up and looking for the ball, His head ALWAYS moves to the ball, He never leaves his feet, He ALWAYS wraps, He drives until the whistle blows. In 6 years of football Michael has not hurt his head or neck, in fact he has only missed 1 5th grade game due to his leg bone outgrowing his Achilles tedon.
By my reaction whenever i saw Michael leading with his head on a tackle you would have thought he had just shit in my cup of coffee, UNFUCKINGACCEPTABLE!!!!!! WOOOOOF!!!!!

Kendo

Kendo

Killer bro
I coached Junior and High School for 10 years and can appreciate what your talking about. Very rewarding it must feel to see you sons work pay off.

Props to you on dong it right and being a great father
Makin men out of boys. That was what I loved about coaching football. The ability to take a kid aside and teach him what it means to be a man, then watch him excel in life with that knowledge.
I see many of the boys I coached. When they call me coach it makes me swell with pride.

hotRod

hotRod

No doubt
It was a life changing experience for me!!

Do you take him to the Pro or College camps in the summer??
You can really advance some drills and techniques after seeing how the TOP does it .

Confuten1

Confuten1

exploitin strengths - perfectin weaknessess
Supporter
Makin men out of boys. That was what I loved about coaching football. The ability to take a kid aside and teach him what it means to be a man, then watch him excel in life with that knowledge.
I see many of the boys I coached. When they call me coach it makes me swell with pride.

we need more men like u around @Kendo !

kevinn

kevinn

Not sure where you live, but if you don't plan on moving to a big time high school town, then summer camps are the way to get exposure. But most important long term is to make sure he keeps his grades up (A's & B's).

Kendo

Kendo

No doubt
It was a life changing experience for me!!

Do you take him to the Pro or College camps in the summer??
You can really advance some drills and techniques after seeing how the TOP does it .

We are looking at camps. His window is so small with baseball, then a vacation to visit grandma. Football starts in July so that only give him a couple of weeks. Lots of the camps are scheduled with that short time frame in mind

Kendo

Kendo

we need more men like u around @Kendo !
I was just lucky enough to be able to be there. Most are too busy to volunteer their time. It wasn't easy but it has been worth every bit of effort.
Funny thing is, I think I learned more from the boys than they did from me.

Last edited:
hotRod

hotRod

Camps are great; The connections, knowlegde gained and motivation shared is worth the commitment and price.

If not a camp maybe take a weekend and go to a coaching clinic
Nike use to do one in Portand and Denver that were top notch
I learned more drills and technique in one weekend then in 5 years of coaching.
Just an idea for taking things to another level!

Keep up the great work!! Your son has a bright future with the foundation being built.

Kendo

Kendo

@hotRod I have Michael nominated for FBU Portland camp. I hope he can get into it as that is one hell of an elite program.

Kendo

Kendo

Michael has decided that sugar is bad and gave it up totally. I already heard back From Football University. They are interested in him and are contacting his coach to find out more about him.
His Coach absolutely loves him and is building a core defense around him. OOOROOOOT!
I had been approached by the local boosters in regards to help to defray the costs of sports related expenses. I might hit them up as this camp is not cheap.
He will be attending the mediocre camp the high school team goes to as well. At 14 he dominated 18 year old seniors at that camp last year, which is what propelled him into starting varsity as a freshman. Now with all the weight training and strength/endurance drills I cannot wait to see him in action.

kevinn

kevinn

No matter the costs, do not accept money from local boosters. Better, he doesn't go if money is a problem. If he is the real deal, college coaches will find him and, if things go right, he could have a good college career. You do not want to jeopardize that. Little things like this could come back and bite you in the butt.

Kendo

Kendo

No matter the costs, do not accept money from local boosters. Better, he doesn't go if money is a problem. If he is the real deal, college coaches will find him and, if things go right, he could have a good college career. You do not want to jeopardize that. Little things like this could come back and bite you in the butt.
@kevinn What is it that I should be concerned about with the local boosters? Give me the 411 bro. They have been a positive influence so far without any problems.

Latest posts

Top Bottom