Higher ppfd/par in VEG while using co2?

• Thread starter ImpulsiveGrower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
Hi guys my question is in regards to co2 enrichment during veg. If I’m enriching my co2 levels to around 1400ppm can vegging plants take the same amount of light as a flowering plant? Do do you have to dial it down to just above ideal veg ppfd/par levels? For flower you want to be over 1000 to get the benefits out of using co2 so does this still apply to veg? Trying searching around for this and couldn’t find information so any input is welcome.

1989cheeseSOG

1989cheeseSOG

the same amount, no
don't forget plants in veg get 50% more light time than blooming plants

will also be dependant on many factors like plants size, cultivars ..

start low and increase progressivly to find the sweet spot
they need time to acclimate to strong light, and plants in veg are sensitive to high levels

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
the same amount, no
don't forget plants in veg get 50% more light time than blooming plants

will also be dependant on many factors like plants size, cultivars ..

start low and increase progressivly to find the sweet spot
they need time to acclimate to strong light, and plants in veg are sensitive to high levels
I think you meant to say vegging plants get 50% less than flowering plants? Ya I think I found my answer it needs to be bumped up but not to flowering intensities.

1989cheeseSOG

1989cheeseSOG

no i meant 50% more light time
in bloom you turn on your light around 12hours per day; in veg around 18 hours
so at the same light intensities veg room would get 50% more light than blooming plants and then you would observe stress

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

18/6 I suggest especially under high light. So 12/12 flower means about 1/3 less but always go by plants.

With co2 some adjustments need to be made as increased co2 actually reduces transpiration rates. So you may find a bit higher ppm and lower humidity make up for that.

Pileit

Pileit

seems as though our plants in veg that are not under high intensity light, suffer if supplemental co2 is used. We separated our clones and t5 plants to take away co2. After t5 we move up to cmh and led with more wattage, those seem to love the supplemental co2 in veg.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

no i meant 50% more light time
in bloom you turn on your light around 12hours per day; in veg around 18 hours
so at the same light intensities veg room would get 50% more light than blooming plants and then you would observe stress
The DLI should stay similar from late veg through flower.

seems as though our plants in veg that are not under high intensity light, suffer if supplemental co2 is used. We separated our clones and t5 plants to take away co2. After t5 we move up to cmh and led with more wattage, those seem to love the supplemental co2 in veg.
Yeah imo co2 doesn't really get to beneficial until net photosynthesis goes up (total leaf surface area exposed to light). This is because it's a % based increase in a sense. So lower overall photosynthesis lower the gains made from it.

Pileit

Pileit

It didn't benefit them in my opinion and really appeared to make them sick. That may have been just my perception or i was screwing up in my feed or something.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

It didn't benefit them in my opinion and really appeared to make them sick. That may have been just my perception or i was screwing up in my feed or something.
Can definitely affect thier needs... when transpiration slows it changes things. I believe at some point high co2 can cause issues but I can't remember at what point that is. Something about it starting to take in oxygen.. don't take that as any sort of fact cause I'm running off about 3 hrs of sleep maybe since Thursday morning.

1989cheeseSOG

1989cheeseSOG

with co2 supplementation you need to increase calcium ratio in your nutrient mix
often people complainign of co2 burner sick plants just have a calcium deficiency

calmag product need to be added until 0.6mS to the water before mixing nutrients

mikeross

mikeross

18/6 I suggest especially under high light. So 12/12 flower means about 1/3 less but always go by plants.

With co2 some adjustments need to be made as increased co2 actually reduces transpiration rates. So you may find a bit higher ppm and lower humidity make up for that.

I'd love some insight on what I should do in my new setup, sealed LED veg room with co2. I have rooted clones in solo cups right now and about to transplant into 2gal(final containers) of pure coco. My temps are from 73/79, night/day. I have my co2 set to 800ppm, but it ranges from 700-900ppm. Par levels were high at 600ppm until I got my par meter and now have it averaging around 450par.

My humidity at canopy level ranges from 75-85% and I feel this might be where the issue lies.

First thing I noticed is the plants are not drinking as much as they should. I keep my plans in solo cups and usually after 2 good dry-backs over a 4 day period I would be feeding daily and solo cups would be light the following day. Now in the new room I get to this point at about day 10, typically would happen by day 4.

Tonight I'm transplanting into 2gal container that have (2)0.5gph emitters per pot and I was really hoping to be able to feed these plants multiple times daily. I'm concerned I will have a similar watering schedule to how the plants were in solo cups which defeats the purpose of the automated drip system.

My plants look super healthy... considering sealed, LED and Co2 in veg is all new to me, I'm very pleased with how nice the plants look. Root development in the solo cups is on point too, no complaints. I'm just concerned they are drinking slowly.

Any insight to all of the above is much appreciated... mainly want to know in this type of setup where your co2 levels, par #'s would be and if I should try and lower the humidity or if it aint broke don't fix it.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I'd love some insight on what I should do in my new setup, sealed LED veg room with co2. I have rooted clones in solo cups right now and about to transplant into 2gal(final containers) of pure coco. My temps are from 73/79, night/day. I have my co2 set to 800ppm, but it ranges from 700-900ppm. Par levels were high at 600ppm until I got my par meter and now have it averaging around 450par.

My humidity at canopy level ranges from 75-85% and I feel this might be where the issue lies.

First thing I noticed is the plants are not drinking as much as they should. I keep my plans in solo cups and usually after 2 good dry-backs over a 4 day period I would be feeding daily and solo cups would be light the following day. Now in the new room I get to this point at about day 10, typically would happen by day 4.

Tonight I'm transplanting into 2gal container that have (2)0.5gph emitters per pot and I was really hoping to be able to feed these plants multiple times daily. I'm concerned I will have a similar watering schedule to how the plants were in solo cups which defeats the purpose of the automated drip system.

My plants look super healthy... considering sealed, LED and Co2 in veg is all new to me, I'm very pleased with how nice the plants look. Root development in the solo cups is on point too, no complaints. I'm just concerned they are drinking slowly.

Any insight to all of the above is much appreciated... mainly want to know in this type of setup where your co2 levels, par #'s would be and if I should try and lower the humidity or if it aint broke don't fix it.
Sure give me a few but with co2 they transpire a bit less so lower uptake and that's where the higher temps and lower humidity play a role that's slightly different than normal.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

If rooted I drop 5% humidity a day until around 55% for indica leaders or 60 for sativa leaders.

Ppm of about 400 for nutes if RO.

Co2 about 400-600ppm as co2 is kinda like a % based increase of new photosynthesis so the more leaves photosynthesizing the more net gain from co2. Right now they are to small to waste high ppm on co2.

18/6 light cycle and better to error on to little than to much and stunt them.

Once they start to fill out you can start ramping lights, co2 and nutes. I would suggest the following.

15k lux veg and increase 3-5k every 3-4 days paying attention to the tacoing of the top 3 sets of leaves, or other signs of light stress.

Co2 for mid to late veg 800-1000 increasing as they get bigger.

Nutrients probably around 800-1000.

Co2 increases photosynthetic efficiency so less transpiration that's why we run slightly higher nutes, slightly lower humidity and slightly warmer temps to offset.

Observationist

Observationist

Glad you’re back

How about

a sealed 5x5 tent with 1000w LED

say 9 plants 3x3 in 5x5 tent coco 2gal?

Latest posts

Top Bottom