HLG Scorpion Diablo does not need CO2! for my plants...

• Thread starter plumsmooth
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
plumsmooth

plumsmooth

By the way if someone believes there is another measurement parameter that I might be missing i.e. PAR micro moles not good enough for my conclusion please let me know!

When I bought this light I was worried it was overkill for a non co2 environment.
I run constant Ventilation to distribute the heat in my 2 bedroom home where one of the upstairs bedrooms houses my plants.
Realizing that my Foot Candle handheld Digital cheap Light Meter was not going to be sufficient to properly differentiate between useable light I figured I would just run it no closer than initially about 24 inches to avoid over saturation and subsequent bleaching etc...

Finally I downloaded the Photome application for my iphone and installed a diffuser as per the instructions.

I then selected the appropriate light source on the app and proceeded to compare the PPFD ūmol/m2s between my 315 CMH at a distance of about 12 inches -- which is about the maximum distance close I allow them to reach -- because of heat and spread.

Conclusion: The PAR output of one of the 6 Banks of led's on the board of the Scorpion Diablo directly underneath puts out almost IDENTICAL Par Reading.
That means I had the Scorpion Diablo at twice the distance necessary and what a waste of light. My plants have no problem -- with the exception of strain heat tolerance variability -- being right up no more than 12 Inches (I try to see it at 16) to my 315 CMH.
Therefore my plants should have no problem being the same distance from the Scorpion Diablo "without" CO2!

Intriguingly the difference here -- despite maybe some beam angle off to the side measurements -- is that the Scorpion Diablo is creating 6 areas of intense light directly under a similar foot print to the CMH's. In a way that strikes me as 6X the potential light with a different of less than 2x power consumption!

That said I noticed in-between the led 6 sections of the SD quite a drop off, but then again I also get a similar maybe less pronounced drop off off to the side of the CMH's

All in all being that I am currently running my first ever "only LED" flowering cycle on one of my Big Plants I will be interested to see the quality comparison.

CMH's provide a spectrum that produces very nice flowers and foliage.
I am not 100% convinced that LED's ultimately can match this yet?
I would love to hear form anyone that has managed to read this far into my Post.
Thanks for listening. I hope this helps someone as the info after reaching was insufficient to answer this question without direct measurement! A picture will follow...

Last edited:
plumsmooth

plumsmooth

IMG 0598

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Scorpian diablo essentially has twice as many LEDs being driven half as hard as a more traditionally designed quantum board. This translates to a higher efficiency rating and less heat output. It's a remarkable light. With that said, there are some learning curves to get through when switching from HID to LEDs. Once you've "learned" how your HLG performs, and how to put it to best use ... expect similar high quality yields to your CMH at less energy draw. Fortunately, it looks like you have a good handle on things and should be able to sort those things out as you grow without much issue.

Edit: No experience with CO2.

plumsmooth

plumsmooth

Once you've "learned" how your HLG performs, and how to put it to best use ... expect similar high quality yields to your CMH at less energy draw.
Thanks I agree there is a learning curve but to my mind that was put to rest once I took out the Par meter! I am going to lower my HLG to 16 inches today knowing that I am still under my peak PAR when my plants tops hit the 12 inch range form my 315's CMH's

I kind of regret basically giving my plant half as much light for the first 4 weeks of its Flowering cycle but at least now I know that my Large plants should have no problem even 12 inches from the LEDs on the Scorpion Diablo...

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Thanks I agree there is a learning curve but to my mind that was put to rest once I took out the Par meter! I am going to lower my HLG to 16 inches today knowing that I am still under my peak PAR when my plants tops hit the 12 inch range form my 315's CMH's
I feel safe with most strains at 12" during flower with my quantum boards. Mine are not HLG Dablo and don't run as cool. As long as you watch out for light intensity issues, it wouldn't surprise me if some strains are comfortable 6"-8" from your light.

MilkyTrichomes

MilkyTrichomes

I kind of regret basically giving my plant half as much light for the first 4 weeks of its Flowering cycle but at least now I know that my Large plants should have no problem even 12 inches from the LEDs on the Scorpion Diablo...
Do you measure LST?

growsince79

growsince79

Keep in mind, not all PAR is created equal. 900ppfd on one light might be perfect and too much on another.

Bullmark69

Bullmark69

FYI the Photone app on my old iPhone 11 was far more accurate than it is on my new iPhone 13. I thought something seemed off and took my phone into the local hydro shop. We did some testing alongside their very expensive apogee meter. My readings were consistently way low. I remember one test that was right at 1000ppfd and my app was reading in the 600 range.
I have a HLG 320 and love it. Still figuring it out but it’s delivering so far.

Zpotato

Zpotato

I think the obvious answer here is your meter error look at this review readings at 18 inches are 792 ūmol/m2s (average PAR)

Last edited:
tricks4uVA

tricks4uVA

Hello everyone, I know this is an old post unfortunately I don’t know my way around the site and should probably start a new thread but figured I’d ask, I’m going from a 1K HPS which is all I’ve ever flowered with in over a decade of growing so I know very little about LED’s, but my electric bill and the dust and hair pulled into the tent from having to run extraction fans is driving me nuts! i’m leaning towards HLG but can’t decide between the scorpion Diablo, X, scorpion Diablo, or scorpion R Spec FR…
I was surprised when I talkEd to HLG the guy actually recommended I go with the R spec versus the more expensive unit because I don’t run the CO2 and I’m in a 5 x 5 tent, the Diablo X is a lot stronger with more LEDs. but is that overkill in a 5 x 5 if I’m not running CO2.
cost is a major concern because I live on Social Security and I‘m 63 years old, but between the electric bills and hair in by cannabis it may be wise to invest in an LED finally and ditch the extraction fans pulling everything into the tent ( and I’ve tried everything to stop it) but I have to be sure I picked the correct one the first time because this is a big reach for me, I’m actually using money left over from loan I’ll be paying on a few yrs so I can’t afford to make a mistake on this, thanks for the input happy growin✌️

plumsmooth

plumsmooth

Get the refurbished Scorpion Diablo with full warrantee. Save 30% and have one of the best lights on the market. Dim in down to 50% in veg at 2 ft and save money perfect light for a 5 by 5!

tricks4uVA

tricks4uVA

Get the refurbished Scorpion Diablo with full warrantee. Save 30% and have one of the best lights on the market. Dim in down to 50% in veg at 2 ft and save money perfect light for a 5 by 5!
The tent I use it in is 99.9% flower only, should I still go with the Diablo instead of just running the R Spec at 80-100% for flower?
thanks bro

Latest posts

Top Bottom