Hmmm? Whats this.... new grower help?

• Thread starter Thc.Grower20
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

They look pretty dam good man. I can see mag and maybe the begging of K??? Really hard to say that for sure though.

I would maybe try adding a 1/2-1 tsp per 5 gal of Epsom salt (mag sulfate) or 1/4 dose of cal mag. It will take likely 4-7 days to see it stop progressing so it may get worse. Others may be able to give you a foliar recipe to get it to the plants faster. Whats the ph of the runoff? That may be a factor also but imo a foliar with mag sulfate would be a good first step if someone can walk ya through it.

Thc.Grower20

Thc.Grower20

They look pretty dam good man. I can see mag and maybe the begging of K??? Really hard to say that for sure though.

I would maybe try adding a 1/2-1 tsp per 5 gal of Epsom salt (mag sulfate) or 1/4 dose of cal mag. It will take likely 4-7 days to see it stop progressing so it may get worse. Others may be able to give you a foliar recipe to get it to the plants faster. Whats the ph of the runoff? That may be a factor also but imo a foliar with mag sulfate would be a good first step if someone can walk ya through it.

Thc.Grower20

Thc.Grower20

OMG 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ now a problem with another plant. But I will try what you said I will get back with ph of run off and try cal mag

20200613 150655
20200613 150705
20200613 150717
buddhaBudman

buddhaBudman

Mag or calcium tends to get locked out first when potting soil is over nuted.
Can you over nute soil with organic ferts? Like worm castings? My understanding is, as these breakdown very slowly it's pretty hard to over nute using them, same with kelp? (hope I'm not hijacking the thread with this question)

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Can you over nute soil with organic ferts? Like worm castings? My understanding is, as these breakdown very slowly it's pretty hard to over nute using them, same with kelp? (hope I'm not hijacking the thread with this question)

Sure you can. Too much anything is not good. But in my experience too much worm castings makes a muddy mess in pots so problems from drainage are more likely than too much nutes. You are right. Organic inputs become available much slower.

Too much kelp can cause funny overgrowth and leafy buds.

and too much organic input can become available at once and that overnutes plants just like bottled fertilizer can.

buddhaBudman

buddhaBudman

Sure you can. Too much anything is not good. But in my experience too much worm castings makes a muddy mess in pots so problems from drainage are more likely than too much nutes. You are right. Organic inputs become available much slower.

Too much kelp can cause funny overgrowth and leafy buds.

And please contribute or ask any question you like. This is a very conversational thread. It has become quite the resource for info with the amazing experienced growers here chiming in all the time.
Thanks, I'm new to the forum. And I've participated in a few different forums, some mod's are stricter than others. Good to know it's more relaxed here. That makes sense after all.

buddhaBudman

buddhaBudman

and too much organic input can become available at once and that overnutes plants just like bottled fertilizer can.
So the organic route sounds a bit more intuitive. Where the synthetic grow you have more control. However, the organic grow has that aura, and that pride of being pure and the utmost authentic expression of natural healing cannabis. They both get you high, and heal, but they are different stories and methods.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

So the organic route sounds a bit more intuitive. Where the synthetic grow you have more control. However, the organic grow has that aura, and that pride of being pure and the utmost authentic expression of natural healing cannabis. They both get you high, and heal, but they are different stories and methods.

Organic is not the utmost expression of anything. It just happens to be sustainable and i believe should be done outside.

Happy plants and reaching great potential can be done with many methods.

But you are right. Organic leaves much doubt about nutrient availability. Honestly its hard enough to get it right with good fertilizer and a ppm meter.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Only thing is... They are duped into thinking that. There is no difference between organic and inorganic nutrients... I know wtf is he talking about right... Let me explain.

Organic nutrients are broken down by bacteria and enzymes. This results in organic nutrients being consumed and broken down into inorganic nutrients. Plants don't take up organic nutrients because they are not available. So the plants actually never eat organic nutrients. I mean basically the difference is organic nutrients contain a carbon molecule and they need to be broken down by microbes in order for the plant to take them up.

A nitrate is a nitrate no matter if it started off as part of organic fertilizer or not. Plants don't care... Well why all the hype over organic nutrients???

Because it's better for the environment since organic nutrients are not available and are broken down slowly to become available there is not risk of leeching large amount of available fertilizer into our waterways and polluting ground water.

Available nutrients are easily leeched from soil.... Not matter there origin organic or not.

So you see all these ppl don't understand that a plant does not eat organic nutrients it eats available inorganic nutrients. In fact a bit of evidence lately shows problems with heavy metals in organic fertilizer... Not all but enough.

Now organic nutrients do have some benefits being that they are not all immediately available for uptake you don't need to apply them all the time

Clear as mud?

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Organic is not the utmost expression of anything. It just happens to be sustainable and i believe should be done outside.

Happy plants and reaching great potential can be done with many methods.

But you are right. Organic leaves much doubt about nutrient availability. Honestly its hard enough to get it right with good fertilizer and a ppm meter.
Beat me to it.

mancorn

mancorn

You can't have too much worm casting. It's like asking, can you have too much dirt? Sure it might not supply all your plant needs if you planted in 100% castings, but it's not going to fry your plant (like synthetic) if you heap it on. Throwing kelp meal would be no different then throwing cabbage on your plants (in terms of “over fertilizing”). It's just a plant.

That said just because something is organic doesn’t mean it's good or benign. You can put down wood chips and it will suck up a bunch of nutes and starve your plant. Or you could add a small amount of wood ash and your plant will be dead in the morning.

But if you think how an (ancient) forest works, it's loaded with organic matter and you'd never think, “is there too much worm poop”.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

You can't have too much worm casting. It's like asking, can you have too much dirt? Sure it might not supply all your plant needs if you planted in 100% castings, but it's not going to fry your plant (like synthetic) if you heap it on. Throwing kelp meal would be no different then throwing cabbage on your plants (in terms of “over fertilizing”). It's just a plant.

That said just because something is organic doesn’t mean it's good or benign. You can put down wood chips and it will suck up a bunch of nutes and starve your plant. Or you could add a small amount of wood ash and your plant will be dead in the morning.

But if you think how an (ancient) forest works, it's loaded with organic matter and you'd never think, “is there too much worm poop”.
I agree somewhat it's much harder to over fertilize in organics but bacteria given good conditions will populate based on food source. So it may take some time for the population to reach a size large enough to break down enough organics and produce enough enzymes to create toxicity but it can happen... A lot more likely in indoor than outdoor as rain will leech available nutrients and almost always prevent this from happening but indoor in organics ppl tend not to water to runoff and so I feel it's not only possible but likely if you put to much in.

Especially if using enzymes

mancorn

mancorn

I agree somewhat it's much harder to over fertilize in organics but bacteria given good conditions will populate based on food source. So it may take some time for the population to reach a size large enough to break down enough organics and produce enough enzymes to create toxicity but it can happen... A lot more likely in indoor than outdoor as rain will leech available nutrients and almost always prevent this from happening but indoor in organics ppl tend not to water to runoff and so I feel it's not only possible but likely if you put to much in.

Especially if using enzymes
If I remember correctly you're a former aquarist, so must know how freaking hard it is to replicate nature. That's why growing outside is easier, we've got Mother to do the heavy lifting!

Top Bottom