Hobbit Hole

Our doorway for the basement access tucks under the second story stairwell . The opening is only about 5 ft tall , and for as long as we have lived here, we have lovingly referred it to it as "The Hobbit Hole" .

My wife is licenced for 20 plants, and last fall we started getting busy down there.
,,,and we built this
20190217_104402.jpg

It does not appear much , but , that photo illustrates the successful manipulation of the environment . I had carved out a space that could provide heat, light and humidity for our endeavour .
The basement location has a concrete floor. I keep a porcelain cup full of water on the bare floor, today it was 8 degrees Celsius. The ambient air in the room is fairly consistent day and night at 13 Celsius .
For the garden space , I shrouded in a nook that has drywall on three sides. I cordoned off a bubble of plastic film lining the walls and opening. I then installed an additional layer, this time using blue house wrap, seen in all the photos . I have never seen anyone else use it , although, it was free and I had a whole roll of it . I figured if it could keep moisture out of a house, it could keep moisture in a grow room.
The blue material comprises one entire wall and also the pedestrian opening . The final dimensions of the room are just short of 6 feet wide and I ran it about 12 ft long . I ended up closing in a flower room at the far end. I may have goofed up the ratio somewhat. The flower room as it sits right now is the full five and a half feet wide , but I only took four and a half feet depth.
0e31c38f-2b41-4284-9281-f8dfc716a575.jpg

I perhaps should have gone for more depth.
Dunno
We will see .

Something I should admit @ this point - to anyone interested, is I am shooting for a zero buget build.
I have kept ponds and aquariums for years now , and I own just about every tool I know how to use. I seem to have everything I need it on hand to get this project rolling .
And while I am in the confessional, I will also mention that the grow that I am documenting is already in progress- I have the plants in flower at the moment.
I considered jumping in from today but, I felt introductions were in order, as I have been lurking on this site for some time and I wanted to post up my adventure ,so anyone smarter than me can avoid all of the stupid things that I have done over the last few months.
I have been keeping a consistent photo log of these plants growth and development .
So we start at the beginning .
20190227_145501.jpg

This is a jar,,,notice there is no weed in it.
That is the beginning and the end right there, my friend.
I want this jar to be full of weed so I decided I was going to have to do something about that .
On our first crack everything went along swimmingly . Seedling came up, went hard , vegged for a bit, and was totally a dude.
20181214_225602.jpg

That was fun.
20181216_001629_HDR.jpg

Had another go at it .Planted two this time .
Still no luck ..Alls balls .
20181229_201552.jpg

I am getting pissy now . They were some fine plants .I tell myself that it is a learning experience and indeed I was starting to get some confidence - I am battling to provide a comfy environment for these things despite the harsh surrounding conditions. I know I can keep them alive now ---I just need some pink !
They were nice enough, just no good to me .
20190109_195345.jpg

Winter was setting in. Things were getting chilly .
I know these boys got to go, so I decide to f*** with them a little bit. How
would you like to spend the night without a heater ?
20190113_121044.jpg

20190113_210010.jpg

That was 13 C.
Bastards looked fine the day .
So I cut them down
20190114_132630.jpg

It was looking like a sad Christmas.
Dont despair,,,
20181228_012809.jpg

Santa brought me these Angels.

Last edited:
So I started adding the liquid nutes,,,
7 days later -
'Member those little guys narrower than the buckect ?
Here they are
20190122_223807.jpg
20190122_223804.jpg

lil wider now
,,,and taller

20190122_223741.jpg

Ask jebus - for real .
I dont know how that happened.
I do know- I only own two white buckects
They ARE the same plants as previous post.
I am new at this; although, I thought only bad things happen that fast .

Yeah, the bank called - said I had waaay too much money,,, gonna start buying some useless shit .

There is a tab atop the grow dairies page, if you click it - free of charge- you too, can have your very own journal .
Take lots of photo's , post it up . Plenty of kind, wise , patient and experienced growers found here. It is a great way to communicate, and tune your game.

So today was a pretty big deal for this guy .
Finally, after more than three months of vigilant husbandry - she shows !!
I get a little excited snap some photo's,,, and join this forum .

I heard someone on the farm quote Ninja, and threaten to go "full retard" if they could jar up 7 Z'ds.
I sprout two white pubes - and I feel I've hit the lotto ! Berserker! Im'a going to Disneyland!
20190124_203624.jpg

So now that I feel I am 'in the game'
I again reflect upon the jar,,
The jar is hard to fill; it takes time, it takes luck, experience, diligence, patience, and unfortunately-lots of other stuff I dont have .
One thing for certain, no matter how fast I can fill that jar, the old ladies hand will be in their more often than mine.
Can I fill it faster than it can be emptied ?
I am not sure if I can grow thru JunJulAug; too hot?
I am doin the math in my head and counting the veg and fluer time between now and the heat of summer .
Common held anxiety?
I need contingencies, I need volume.

Time to pot up, evacuate the 4 X T5HO nursery, and get all four under "the big light"
I ask the household bean counter for another round of seed, and I set upon a marathon of reading; I need a crash cloning course.
27 days from heads up .
20190127_013800.jpg

Reactions: Ina
"So, did you plant those seeds" ?
I am about to have a conversation with my wife, and already, I do not like the way it is going
"What seeds"? I replied to the ( now ) wide-eyed woman I love .

Honestly, I didn't know whether to laugh, cry, or eat them; they looked delicious.
20190117_235525.jpg

20190117_235534.jpg

20190117_235554.jpg

If I was a quitter I wouldn't be smok'n the herb, now would I ?
To quote Mickey Knox in Natural born Killers
"I say go for it"
20190117_235720.jpg

Yeah, the bank called - said I had waaay too much money,,, gonna start buying some useless shit .

There is a tab atop the grow dairies page, if you click it - free of charge- you too, can have your very own journal .
Take lots of photo's , post it up . Plenty of kind, wise , patient and experienced growers found here. It is a great way to communicate, and tune your game.

So today was a pretty big deal for this guy .
Finally, after more than three months of vigilant husbandry - she shows !!
I get a little excited snap some photo's,,, and join this forum .

I heard someone on the farm quote Ninja, and threaten to go "full retard" if they could jar up 7 Z'ds.
I sprout two white pubes - and I feel I've hit the lotto ! Berserker! Im'a going to Disneyland!
View attachment 859073
Congratulations, its a girl. Yeah i did a semi diary last year, Ghetto Grow. Lots of mistakes, mostly impatience lol

Two in the dirt, two in the squirt.

Six days later .
20190123_215110.jpg

Two weeks after the sprouting incident.
20190130_235838.jpg

Had some free space on veg table. Brought the snap peas under the hood.
The leggy dirts are exhiled over on the right of the photo
20190124_213026.jpg

Enough of the kiddie stuff, this is about the big fish.

Trouble in the new flower room.

I didnt have a solid floorplan when I banged up the room.
I had been lurking for months, and the only insight I had for was the need for infrastructure, and elbow room.

Decades of aquarium disasters, and having raised children has taught me one absolute fact
- One day it will all hit the fan .
Someone will trip on it, someone will put all their weight on it.
The biggest security issue around here is protecting my family from my medlings .
Will it get hot enough to cause a fire?,,
Is it leaking one drop? Failure is hidden behind every corner, one day I will bend over, bump my behind into it, and when it hits the floor it will be broken.
I am my own worst enemy.

To prepare the growspace, I went as wide as space would allow, at about 5 and half foot ..I ran the lengthy to about 10? 11 feet.
I hate working in tight spaces.
I was too inexperienced to invision the whole operation before hand, so the flower room was kinda thrown up on demand .
I felt like I brought the baby home from the hospital, and then realized I didn't have a crib.

"Hey Jewels?
Did you just build a door out of a futon bench"

Yup
I told you I was on a zero budget
I am $ 99 in and $ 4.95 gst goes to our glorious Federal gov. I will gladly pay your tax .

Kiss my a$ $ - Im'a grow'n weeeeed!
20190109_195047.jpg

20190109_195143.jpg

20190109_195257.jpg