Holiday Watering Advice Please

• Thread starter Hugo32
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Hugo32

Hugo32

Hi everyone - I’m away for a week and looking for a recommendation of an automated system to water my 12 plants. They are 6 weeks into flowering - I don’t have access to a tap, so would need to use a tank - anyone used the Claber Oasis system to drip feed? Any other systems that you would recommend?

Many thanks

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
What kind of medium are you growing in? Soil, coco, coco mix, etc?

Drip systems are pretty easy to make. Just need a reservoir, pump, timer, and some hose. I would check and double check everything, make sure it is operating properly before you leave town. Risky time to leave your grow, good luck and welcome to the Farm! 🤠

Hugo32

Hugo32

Thanks! I’m using soil.

Was going to set it up and test a week before I go, and give them a really good water before I leave for a week. I’m finding they only need watering every couple of days.

Do you think I am OK to fill the plant trays up a bit more than usual (2/3 inches) before I go, then start the drip system to start a day later?

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
Well, if you're only going to be gone 1 week, and you're growing in soil, you may be able to get away with just 1 really deep watering before you leave and be good with that.. Or maybe just set the timer to water 1 time while you are gone? How often do you have to water and/or feed your plants, normally?

There are a couple of tricks you could get away with for a week to help reduce your plants' water uptake. Perhaps turn your lights down a notch, or cut your "lights on" time from 12 to 10 hours. Won't hurt for a week, in fact the shorter light period for a week helps invigorate your plants.

Hugo32

Hugo32

Well, if you're only going to be gone 1 week, and you're growing in soil, you may be able to get away with just 1 really deep watering before you leave and be good with that.. Or maybe just set the timer to water 1 time while you are gone? How often do you have to water and/or feed your plants, normally?

There are a couple of tricks you could get away with for a week to help reduce your plants' water uptake. Perhaps turn your lights down a notch, or cut your "lights on" time from 12 to 10 hours. Won't hurt for a week, in fact the shorter light period for a week helps invigorate your plants.
That’s really helpful, thank you.

The wife has booked a week away, so I’ve got to go, but would rather be at home for these last few weeks.

I water and feed every couple of days. I’ve got deep trays so could give them a really good watering before I go. My lights are either on or off so sounds a good idea to reduce the lights down to 10 hrs on.

Cheers

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Hi everyone - I’m away for a week and looking for a recommendation of an automated system to water my 12 plants. They are 6 weeks into flowering - I don’t have access to a tap, so would need to use a tank - anyone used the Claber Oasis system to drip feed? Any other systems that you would recommend?

Many thanks
Check out blumat, enjoy your vacation!

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
That’s really helpful, thank you.

The wife has booked a week away, so I’ve got to go, but would rather be at home for these last few weeks.

I water and feed every couple of days. I’ve got deep trays so could give them a really good watering before I go. My lights are either on or off so sounds a good idea to reduce the lights down to 10 hrs on.

Cheers
I am in the same boat. I’m away for 4 days this weekend. I am going to water before I leave and I’m hoping the buds will fatten up searching for those nutrients in the soil once it’s starts to really dry out then I’ll water when I get back Monday. I’m watering every other day currently so I think I’ll be fine 3 days no watering. What you think? Hope it works out for you. Happy grows.

Hugo32

Hugo32

I am in the same boat. I’m away for 4 days this weekend. I am going to water before I leave and I’m hoping the buds will fatten up searching for those nutrients in the soil once it’s starts to really dry out then I’ll water when I get back Monday. I’m watering every other day currently so I think I’ll be fine 3 days no watering. What you think? Hope it works out for you. Happy grows.
I think you’ll be fine...it has cooled where I am of late and I’ve noticed the pots are not drying out as quick.

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
This is where real growers are made! For me, I’d never leave my plants at week six unless I had someone to tend that knows how to follow instructions. I know a guy who wants to leave for ten days and he’s going to count on a quick made watering system to take care of his plants. 😲

Hugo32

Hugo32

This is where real growers are made! For me, I’d never leave my plants at week six unless I had someone to tend that knows how to follow instructions. I know a guy who wants to leave for ten days and he’s going to count on a quick made watering system to take care of his plants. 😲
That’s scary.

7 days max for me...although even that is making me nervous. Testing my drip system this weekend which is set-up to give 300ml every day which will broadly workout the same to what I’m watering them in total every other day.

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
That’s scary.

7 days max for me...although even that is making me nervous. Testing my drip system this weekend which is set-up to give 300ml every day which will broadly workout the same to what I’m watering them in total every other day.
Then your pots are not going to dry out, which can lead to root rot.

PlumberSoCal2

PlumberSoCal2

I too am working on an auto watering system but I'm growing in coco. Even though I have water I'm leaning toward a tank with gravity feed on a timer.

I have a 30 gal electric water heater I installed and had to replace a few months later so the tank is itself is in very good shape. 4" PVC pipe holds about a half gallon of water per foot so if I add 40' of pipe from the heater it will give me 50 gal in the system.

This is mainly for the 26 tomato plants in the garden but I also have 2 greenhouses. For those I'm looking at nute injectors
51CCb0d2y0L AC SY400
Chapin hose sprayers 4720 64 1000

like these. Reviews are not great so still researching.

Hugo32

Hugo32

Then your pots are not going to dry out, which can lead to root rot.
Thanks - would you suggest I then cut that down to 150ml per day per pot to give them just enough whilst I’m away? I have 12ltr pots and my plants are 1mtr high.

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
Thanks - would you suggest I then cut that down to 150ml per day per pot to give them just enough whilst I’m away? I have 12ltr pots and my plants are 1mtr high.
It’s hard to say, but if your watering every other day now why don’t you just set the watering system to every other day? Imo it’s best to have someone tend your plants when your gone. But you need someone who will follow directions. Lots of things can go wrong on a week away from the grow. What if a breaker pops? Or your bulb goes out or pump failure?
The other issue is what if your ph goes out of whack after a couple of days? The only kind of nutes that are going to make it a week would be salt base only. If your res goes anaerobic shit gets real ugly real quick.

Hugo32

Hugo32

It’s hard to say, but if your watering every other day now why don’t you just set the watering system to every other day? Imo it’s best to have someone tend your plants when your gone. But you need someone who will follow directions. Lots of things can go wrong on a week away from the grow. What if a breaker pops? Or your bulb goes out or pump failure?
The other issue is what if your ph goes out of whack after a couple of days? The only kind of nutes that are going to make it a week would be salt base only. If your res goes anaerobic shit gets real ugly real quick.
Thanks.

I don’t have anyone local who knows walkathons I’m growing and I can trust unfortunately.

My lights are controlled by Wifi so I can adjust them remotely and they tell me if they’re not working properly - the only thing is the water bu I will have a full weeks proper test in advance of me going so I know I they react - I’m staying 4hrs drive away so I could come home.early if I need to.

Top Bottom