Hollow Branches!! Please Look, Comment!!

• Thread starter Sunshinegrower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Sunshinegrower

Okay so I started to cut down my lady's on 4/20. These are the biggest girls that I have had before. There are 4'+ plants. I don't think I have every noticed this before, but my monster buds when I chopped them I noticed the stem/branch had a small hole in the center? Hmmm.. I was really fucked up during my 80hrs of trimming I have to do. But has anyone else seen this? I'll try to get some photos.. Please someone put my mind to ease.

E

ent

in regards to selecting males DJS has this snippet

the next criterion for elimination, borrowed from michael starks' marijuana potency, involves stem structure. large, hollow main stems are sought while pith-filled stems are eliminated. backed by years of observation, hollow stems do seem to facilitate THC production.

S

Sunshinegrower

Thanks guys!! So are you saying the bigger the plant more hollow stems? These where the largest plants I have ever done and now noticing this, but only on some plants.

E

ent

this is from a male

IMG_8258_cropped1.JPG

IMG_8258_resized.JPG

S

Sunshinegrower

Does it change from Male to Female as I'm not growing Males?

j wizzle

j wizzle

just chopped a power kush that yeilded over a 1/2 lb with a very hollow stem. just massive buds... biggest buds ive grown so far in fact.

D

DoubleDub

Here s a post on grasscity from 2006

Ok here goes... I did an extensive amount of reading people's grow journals tons of online cannabis articles. I can't tell you WHY the stems are hollow for sure, but I now know it has nothing to do with how it was grown (hydro or soil). Every article about hollow stems said that it was a characteristic of Sativa but even though this was said, I read plenty of grow journals about hybrids that were primarily indicia and had hollow stems.

There is one train of thought that if the grower really cares about what he is growing he will eliminate pith-filled stems from his grow, because hollow stems facilitate THC production. That isn’t to say that pith-filled stems do not, but a book called Marijuana Potency (Michael Stark) makes a connection between potency and stem structure. Stark says that this research has been backed by years and years of observation. So the hollow stems are sought after with groups of growers that follow this train of thought as pointed out by Stark’s book. (pith is just the fiber in the middle of the stem, the portion that is missing from the picture I posted above)

No matter how some species of plants are grown they are going to have fistular stems. In some species of plants hollow stems are caused my malnutrition or disease. This is not the case in cannabis/hemp. In a lot of water plants they have hollow stems to push oxygen down into the roots (that are under water) and also help the plant float. Again that statement was in regard to horticulture articles based on water plants and not cannabis.

Many of the articles I read said that all cannabis has hollow stems but some just has a very narrow hollowed area while others are very hollowed out. The latter was the sought after trait in Stark’s book. Most of the time when they referred to cannabis they specified sativa.

Most of the other message boards I was linked to said it was how the plant gets water to the buds, but I can't confirm that because none of the articles I read went into it. The only thing I can be sure of is that hollow stems have nothing to do with soil or hydroponics. Some believe it is sought after and others just think its just the normal course of cannabis growth.

-dirtybongwater

Hollow stems are good!...

A

aphid

I get bigger hollower stems when I use a bubbler for some reason.

X

Xceptional

yeah my nl always has hollow stems. its a good thing dont worry!

L

lifecycle

hollow stems is actually from calcium deficences...and if your getting big yeilds now imagine if they had the cal they needed :icon_dizzy:

D

dooobster

hollow stems is actually from calcium deficences...and if your getting big yeilds now imagine if they had the cal they needed :icon_dizzy:

I get hollow stems even though I use plenty of cal-mag.
As a matter of fact, I really can't remember growing a cannabis plant that didn't have hollow stems... lol

S

Sunshinegrower

I use Cal-Mag Nutes all the way through and they showed no signs of Cal missing. Do you have something to back this up or is it just another urban myth?

heavydutykevork

heavydutykevork

Premium Member
Supporter
Hollow stems means great tasting erb no salt build up... means nice flush. Peace HDK

A

aphid

I was told that hollow stems meant that your plant was getting plenty of nitrogen.

M

MASSES 420KING

the reason you are having a heavy yield is because of the hollow branches o.k. here it goes the water and nutrients are carried up the stem from the medium the more hollow they are the more food and water gets to the tips of plants also outdoor plants seem to not be as hollow as indoor that could also be why indoor plants are more thc laden and also you will notice that the more air movement in a grow room the less hollow the stems and thats do to plant cellulose strengthening the stem so it can hold the weight of the buds it is producing

C

Capt. Rebel

Hollow stems have absolutely nothing to do with transporting water/nutrients to the buds. Have you ever cut down a plant with hollow stems and had water run out? Water is transported from the roots to the rest of the plant via cellular osmosis (that means water molecules are handed from cell to cell from the roots all the way up the plant).

The most likely explanation for hollow stems is that they are easier to grow than solid stems (less energy and resources required from the plant). In a natural selection situation, easier means faster, and faster growing plants have the advantage as they tend to choke out the slower growing specimens.

Latest posts

Top Bottom