homemade PH up and down

• Thread starter budboy299
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
budboy299

budboy299

just thought I would mention....

PH up (chemical) is simply potassium hydroxide (ebay or online sources) and water.
mix equal parts of both. always add the potassium hydroxide to the water, not the other way around.
It creates an exothermic reaction which will cause the water to get hot!!
So add small amounts of the potassium hydroxide at a time till you see how it reacts.
And as always wear safety glasses and gloves etc.

PH down is any nitrate (potassium nitrate, sodium nitrate, ammonium nitrate, etc) mixed with sulphuric acid. Probably not the best thing for the DIY'er to make for safety reasons, slthough I have made it before just because I could hahaha.

Not sure why anyone would make this though unless there are no hydro stores where you live. Just throwing this out there. -BB

O

organicfreak

hey friend..
just saw this post...

ive been doing alot of research on sulfuric acid as a ph down.
was told to take 8oz or 1 cup out of 128oz or 1gal of r.o water and replace the 1 cup with sulphuric acid (battery acid) can get @ ur local auto part store for 8$ish a qrt which will make 4 gallons of ph down...

what do you think about this and were and why would you add the nitrates?

the ph down were do you recomend buying the potassium hydroxide? an how much to how much r.o water?

fyi fuck hydro-gardens.com owner is a pridefull rude fuck..
he is pissed i gave him a fake phone # and he told me to never shop @ his store again and said he was going to inform the authorities of my illegal activities haha doesnt he know my state is 1 of the 14 states who reconizes medical marijuana...
BUT ALL BEAWRE OF THIS THREAT..
specially if your not 1 of us card holders in the lucky 14...

oh i asked for stealth shipping cause he sent 1st package with big tape with hydro-gardens.com writen all over it...
oh and he mailed a highlighter orange book lol his catolog agian with his info hydro-gardens.com..
is this guy a moron??? even if you dont have to worry about pigs what about pirates????
dont we have the right to fucking privacy?
lol gave him a fake name #,gift card instead of my personal 1,and had shipped to a forclosed vacant house lol 1 of many in neighborhood...
totally glad i did...
again buyer beware...
o

D

DySon

u can get phosporic acid 52% (an exact copy of an's down) on ebay for like 15$ a gallon..

budboy299

budboy299

Potassium hydroxide (caustic potash) is commonly used in soap making so googling that should bring up suppliers....but again the damn meth-heads are making it tough to find as this is supposed to be one of the ingredients they use in processing meth.

Just off the top of my head....I think 128grams of Potassium hydroxide is the max that will dissolve in 100grams of room temp water. So you should be safe with equal weights mixed. 100grams to 100 grams.
Always best to go a bit weaker, as it is way easier to add weaker solutions to your rez than stronger stuff. With strong PH adjustors, I always seem to overshoot what I am aiming at. Now I deliberately weaken it down for my own peace of mind in mixing.

Sulphuric acid should work fine as it will simply supply sulphur to the mix, which plants eat. Actually someone on here once claimed they use it with good results.
Can't remember who but I think it was a pretty knowledgable grower.

O

organicfreak

ty 4 replies
yea now you mention that phospheric acid..
some say to use it in flowering as a down and to use nitric acid in veg im using canna coco a+b homemade ty 2 BB..
whatcha guys think neccesary to rotate between the2 or k.i.s.s and just use phosheric acid?
THANKS
O

M

Mmmmasonite

Guys.....I will gladly pay extra to not have to make this stuff myself....please.....so much work already!..........But ......that's cool that you can do it....self sufficiency rocks!! But ......if you are lazy....like me....Mad Farmer has the cheapest up and down that contain no dyes......I am pretty sure it's like $3 a qt. cheaper......... Peace

homebrew420

homebrew420

interested in pH adjusting chems all should check out this site, http://www.dudadiesel.com/biodiesel_chemicals.php, outstanding prices and service. NOt to mention the selection. We just ordered 4 lb of KOH for like $40 shipped, they also have citric and many other acids as well. Great shop.

Peace

B

Burned Haze

Any new reviews or new tips since 2012? Fuck paying 50 bucks for a gallon of "ph down" at indoor shops

I've been told battery acid a few times, Just wanted a confirm!

keiksweat

keiksweat

hey friend..
just saw this post...

was told to take 8oz or 1 cup out of 128oz or 1gal of r.o water and replace the 1 cup with sulphuric acid (battery acid) can get @ ur local auto part store for 8$ish a qrt which will make 4 gallons of ph down...

the ph down were do you recomend buying the potassium hydroxide? an how much to how much r.o water?

he is pissed i gave him a fake phone # and he told me to never shop @ his store again and said he was going to inform the authorities of my illegal activities haha doesnt he know my state is 1 of the 14 states who reconizes medical marijuana...

oh i asked for stealth shipping cause he sent 1st package with big tape with hydro-gardens.com writen all over it...
oh and he mailed a highlighter orange book lol his catolog agian with his info hydro-gardens.com..
is this guy a moron??? even if you dont have to worry about pigs what about pirates????
lol gave him a fake name #,gift card instead of my personal 1,and had shipped to a forclosed vacant house lol 1 of many in neighborhood...
totally glad i did...
again buyer beware...
o
I live in the UK were every fuckin thing is illegal.they will lock your ass up.anyway I order a tent after moving to a new house,start up my grow op again.it arrived at next door neighbours house stamped on all four sides,GROW TENT...fuckin morons..

Ecompost

Ecompost

Any new reviews or new tips since 2012? Fuck paying 50 bucks for a gallon of "ph down" at indoor shops

I've been told battery acid a few times, Just wanted a confirm!
what battery acid, really, you can imagine using this? Dam I hope i dont smoke your weed bro, that would be bad for me. Just buy a bag of citric acid powder, its like super strong but dilute it and away you go. You can get a truck load of it for next to nothing, even on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citric-ac...hash=item20eefd40db:m:motU72gLP-cfyIzdquGiSFg
if you use battery acid, I will be appalled, I aint saying dont, I am just saying what I would think about that

Quantrill

Quantrill

Virgin battery electrolyte, aka battery acid, is probably the most common acid used in commercial agriculture. It is very easy to source and is relatively cheap. It is pure, clean, and effective. It is absurd not to consider it the best option in most practial situations.

You can use the calculator in the following link to make a comparison for yourself:
https://extension.unh.edu/Agric/AGGHFL/alk_calc.cfm

ALKALINITY CONTROL FOR IRRIGATION WATER USED IN NURSERIES AND GREENHOUSES Doug Bailey and Ted Bilderback said:
The sulfuric acid recommended is a battery electrolyte product named Qual® and can be purchased from most auto supply stores for about $10 per 5 gallons.

BUSTALUNG

BUSTALUNG

just thought I would mention....

PH up (chemical) is simply potassium hydroxide (ebay or online sources) and water.
mix equal parts of both. always add the potassium hydroxide to the water, not the other way around.
It creates an exothermic reaction which will cause the water to get hot!!
So add small amounts of the potassium hydroxide at a time till you see how it reacts.
And as always wear safety glasses and gloves etc.

PH down is any nitrate (potassium nitrate, sodium nitrate, ammonium nitrate, etc) mixed with sulphuric acid. Probably not the best thing for the DIY'er to make for safety reasons, slthough I have made it before just because I could hahaha.

Not sure why anyone would make this though unless there are no hydro stores where you live. Just throwing this out there. -BB
To save money.. Just saying

Ecompost

Ecompost

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/citric-acid-as-ph-down.9778/

interesting replies ? Sounds like organic is ultra unstable and you have to adjust twice a day ?
this is BS, user error, i usually pH once, then wait a bit, check, add again if i need to, the second time I add Citric acid is the last time, its just plain bollocks to suggest you need to constantly add it, perhaps this is relating to people adding more water or nutrients.
I can safely say, anyone pH anything twice a day is either topping up all day, or a twat

keiksweat

keiksweat

this is BS, user error, i usually pH once, then wait a bit, check, add again if i need to, the second time I add Citric acid is the last time, its just plain bollocks to suggest you need to constantly add it, perhaps this is relating to people adding more water or nutrients.
I can safely say, anyone pH anything twice a day is either topping up all day, or a twat
Here,here.....i second that.

BUSTALUNG

BUSTALUNG

Lemon juice
I've heard lemon juice and I've heard vinegar and I've heard people say the used it and it didn't work. Are you speaking from experience or from hearing. Do you use pure lemon juice? I've heard the store bought lemon juice ain't worth a shit. I would like to know from somebody that actually uses it

BUSTALUNG

BUSTALUNG

hey friend..
just saw this post...

totally glad i did...
again buyer beware...
o
Hey friend, I heard a different mixture on the sulfuric acid and water for ph down. I think we read the same info or very close. I read on some site (rollitup, grass city) somewhere that you get a full gal. Of water and pour out 2 cups of water and add back 1 cup of sulfuric acid. I've never used sulfuric acid but can I assume it won't hurt your plants or roots? Just seems "battery acid" would be a little harsh but idk never used it but I'm going to try it.

Top Bottom