Homesteader's DIY indoor living soil grow

• Thread starter Homesteader
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jackspat12

Jackspat12

Hello farmers

My name is Sean but feel free to call me whatever you like. I live and grow up on a small farm in the great state of Maine. We raise mostly rabbit, kids (of human type) and chicken but I also grow a lot of fruit trees and vegetables as well. Nothing for market. Not into it for some reason. I think I would consider myself a chicken farmer and orchardist by trade but I do a lot of everything so maybe I wouldn’t. With chickens I raise meat birds and layers and with rabbits we do all dual purpose meat and pelts…Feel free to ask any questions on either though. Rabbit farming is great work. I love them and care a lot about my rabbitry crew. I have great mothers and some cool bucks. I love farming in general so feel free to ask anything about it. So anyways back to growing.

My soil mix lately starts with raking leaves. I fill up my pots (30-45 gallon) to the brim with all sorts of leaves in the fall. Oak, maple, beech make up most of it but small sticks are there as well. I then cover those leaves with my soil mix. The leaves crush down and eventually line with a couple inches at the bottoms of the bags. This provides a nutrient sink for later in the grow as well as some air flow for the bottom of the grow bag. I won't really go over what I do to make soil here, but my base is peat/coco/sand and rice hull and most of my fertilizer comes from soybean meal but also bone char and gypsum.

To each their own. I don’t really worry about bugs because I can kill most of them fairly easily. Thrips and mites are a bit common but I plan on treating my plants with soap/water and vege oil, about every two weeks for the first couple months while in veg. I find it helps to defoliate a lot of the lower branches and fans where they are living prior to spraying any soapy water. It is super important if you do this method to rinse the plant in warm water after to get the soap off the leaves. You only need it on there for about ten minutes but you don’t want the soap or oil to clog up your stomata.

Watering…….I use a 3 gallon Husqvarna sprayer for mostly everything. I don’t like my soil to dry out much until later in flower so I typically spray the soil down any time I see it drying out until later in flower. This also cuts down on dust in the room and avoids leaking bags.

Seedlings are started in coco (End of Jan) and eventually are put in one gallon bags of my soil mix. Later I will cut the bottoms of these bags and let them grow into bigger pots but Ill talk about it more when I get there. For now they wait and grow. View attachment 1214236
View attachment 1214237
I was replacing the siding this past fall and had to take off my outdoor fuse box for my AC unit. When I opened it I could see that a mouse had chewed the 220v wire straight down to the copper and fried himself. Wish I took a photo! Nothing left but burned fur and bones, mouth still on the wire. So long story short, I still need to fix the wire (luckily I ran extra and just need to feed it out) and therefore I have no AC until I do. No worries though….it is -4 fahrenheit outside.

My grow room has two rooms. The smaller one being the veg and seedling area. I have been pretty happy with this setup although always looking to improve it. The flower room needs one more light to be complete but it is fine for now. I am flowering several original Amnesia under a scrog in there now but the room is only about 1/3 full right now and I want to change that soon. The strain itself isn't anything to write home about but I like the stone and the smells. It think its about 3 weeks into flower.
Hi Sean I used to live in Maine for thirteen years in the seventies and eighty. I am using coast of Maine products with great results. Check them out.

Homesteader

Homesteader

Original amnesia starting to reveg I hope. Looks slightly more green than yesterday. The two nagalands are very tiny but healthy not quite the vigor the of the Himalayan strain. Decided I'm going to sex all of these indoors and maybe start a few more Uttarakhands to increase my chances and selection.

IMG 20220304 211905
IMG 20220304 211820
IMG 20220303 181647
Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Right on homesteader! The season is around the corner. Can’t wait to follow your Himalayan adventure! Getting things prepped on the left Coast Also. You’ll kill it!

Homesteader

Homesteader

The Himalayans are going to stay inside until I can sex them. The Nagaland will stay indoors this summer. A soybean consumed by hyphae. A small original amnesia that is half way there. A few of the plants will go into flower this week. Hoping something good in one of the diesels

IMG 20220318 161144
IMG 20220318 125322
IMG 20220317 162620
IMG 20220317 094824
IMG 20220317 094811
Homesteader

Homesteader

Prepared the seed crop area some more. Clean out the chicken coop and rabbitry for spring cleanup and dumped it all on here on this 30' hugel row.......One of the diesels is polyploid and showing it early.....The other diesel is a hot mess but should flower in fully and the Himalayan is coming along in 12-12 but it will be a month or more before it shows anything I assume. Had several of the Nagaland (Indian sativa) dampen off but still have 6 or 7 healthy ones left. The 4 Himalayan will be what I go with that and hope for a single quality male.

IMG 20220330 112620
IMG 20220331 084817
IMG 20220331 084858
IMG 20220331 084934 1
Homesteader

Homesteader

The polyploid diesel seems to root amazingly fast. I don't ever get roots like this in 7 days even using play sand....the sister of that diesel has been growing funky since seedling. The mintz is the tallest though and brightest flower too.

IMG 20220407 081429
IMG 20220407 081826
IMG 20220404 175100
IMG 20220407 081418
Homesteader

Homesteader

Havent really spent much time on the grow this month or at least not as much as I should have and because of that probably I let a few mites loose by bringing in a few dirty plants. So I defoliated a bit and started to clean things up. Luckily the mites were only on a few leaves I think and should resolve itself now that they are removed and the plants are being monitored a bit more. Kicked my bubbler this morning and cracked it. Luckily they aren't as pricey as they once were but I probably shouldn't leave it on the ground anymore.

Amnesia Haze

IMG 20220409 171734

The ugly Diesel and the one with an extra chromosome along with a mintz.

IMG 20220409 171747
IMG 20220409 171841
IMG 20220409 171851
Last edited:
Homesteader

Homesteader

The first photo is a mintz. Kinda skimpy on yield but looks like it will be decent. The intensity with the clumpy diesel is probably a bit high but I don't really care that the buds are turning ghost white. I still find it funny that this is referred to as albinoism by some. Smokes the same imo

IMG 20220415 070504
IMG 20220415 070415
IMG 20220415 070400
Madmax

Madmax

Nice grow diary you got going homesteader.very informative and that makes for great reading..keen to learn and see how the landraces go in your climate.

Cheers max

Homesteader

Homesteader

This diesel fasciation produced a nice solid flower on the main shoot. The fasciation actually became less but I can slightly see it still. I think its probably at 5 weeks into flower. The other diesel is not going to be a keeper nor are any of the others this round.

Probably not going to be smoking any longer and going to only focus on breeding. I wish I could eat cannabis but it doesn't work for me. 25 years is probably long enough anyhow.

IMG 20220422 182944
IMG 20220422 182901
Madmax

Madmax

Im same brother.i start getting congested after awhile and been on and off last yr or so and stopped couple months back and feel heaps better.ive had a good run but time to stop