Homesteader's DIY indoor living soil grow

• Thread starter Homesteader
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Homesteader

Homesteader

I changed out the 3 gallon sprayer of soap/oil and realized the problem. The batch was old and the mix had large chunks of crap at the bottom. Sprayed the plants down and the mites are done I think. At least didn't see any movement after but ill check again and probably spray again anyhow. A few other photos of the Northeast India/Sour Diesel and the different characteristics from this batch. I have about 8 landrace cross in the greenhouse that I will bring in by November. photo 3 and 4 are the same plant and my favorite so far.

IMG 20220918 164547423
IMG 20220918 164718819
IMG 20220918 172250689
IMG 20220918 172300234
IMG 20220918 172314882
G

Glomus

I moved the diesels, amnesia haze, banana kush and mintz in under the netting. I wont be running all three lights for at least a few weeks and will probably will just stick to the one in the center and flip both on when I want to. The electricity bills here are spiking and Im not in any huge rush. Ill probably use up the rest of the CO2 on this run once the plants are about to flip and I am using the rest of the lights but for now the center light is probably good. I angle both the side lights to about 10 or 20 degrees and if I wanted to I could try to mimic the sun but I have done that yet. It would be nice to have both the side lights on timers so I could jump between the two, Maybe next run Ill try it with a few old timers I got linked to the digital timer.

The Amnesias ended up showing all seperate phenos but one was much better than the other two and I really wanted to try to get it to reveg so I cut it early. The last time I ran amnesia the roots rotted before reveg took place so I didn't want to risk it again. The smoke isnt badbut I didn't want to risk letting the plant die without getting cuttings this time and I don't really need the smoke as much as the cutting. This is a picture of one of the lesser phenos. Kinda lame but it had a few nice looking flowers. It still is decent just lacked the density the other did and height and health. They are finishing in the other room and Ill let them die on the vine in there.
Absolutely beautiful plants, Those pistils are so swollen in the previous picture, bringing on all the resin. Beautiful. I'm really big into organic growing and I'm admiring what your doing here, I honestly think its the best way to bring out all the subtle traits of a strain. I saw that you have rabbits, have you used rabbit manure as the nutrient pellet on the bottom like you are doing with the leaf litter? Couple farms in Oregon swear by it. I love doing those nutrient pellets/pockets and watching the plant get established and then explode when they hit it.

Gurtgurt

Gurtgurt

Homesteader perhaps you can give me some advice.

I've inherited some land in the Midwest. I need to stop paying money for topsoil when I can make my own. But I worry about bugs.

Do you have any advice for building soil while minimizing bug eggs and etc?

Should I build a brick 3-wall for mixing and to keep soil off the ground? Where do I get big bags of peat, sand, whatever? Got any links or websites?

I hope to be a homesteader soon. I just read up about hugelkultur. Just had a big windstorm lots of fallen trees. Does it work well? And for what types of plants?

Thanks man

Homesteader

Homesteader

Peat and play sand can be bought at Lowes or Home Depot for probably the best price you will find. Farm stores sometimes have rice hull. I live near Fedco coop so I get a few of my inputs there but shipping would crush you. Try to find a store around though that isn't a grow store as youll pay twice as much at those. How much soil are you making? A tarp would work if you aren't making a huge amount, I personally use an old plastic pool. I don't really worry about bugs. If you keep up on IPM you should be fine.

I also have been mixing my soil lately directly in the garden and probably will just continue to do it this way from now on. I have been more and more into adding native soil and leaf litter into my mixes and trying to cut out inputs that I can't create.

Do you chop wood for a fireplace? I have a saw mill so I have lots of scrap and dust. Hugle works best for blackberries but I started mine about 5 years ago+ and keep adding to them. I have a network of paths on my property and have lined both sides of the path with piles of brush/leaves and wood. Ill go back next year and do the same with the hopes of making them flower beds for perennials someday. If you have good wood though that is okay for burning. I would donate it or burn it yourself. Going to be a VERY cold winter with the price of home heating oil this year.

@Glomus I haven't tried that method exactly but will. I have a lot more rabbits this year and poop. My daughter had hopes of selling her bunnies but none of them sold so now they are grown rabbits and an extra 20 min of her chores.

Thanks to both of you for commenting

Homesteader

Homesteader

The flower in the greenhouse is actually from Nagaland and not Uttarakhand like I have been calling that. This was from the seedstock that pollinated my Sour Diesel and I am excited to see what comes of it. The thing is a monster at this point. I had to put a heavy wire fencing on it to push the weight away from the ceiling plastic. Flowers everywhere and should be able to ripen since it is in the ground of the greenhouse. I am hopeful at least but I doubt the Burmas will do much. It is already in the 40s at night here. Looking like rabbit food soon cause I don't a late season male

Homesteader

Homesteader

The first is the flowing Nagaland. Then the sour diesel at maybe 8 weeks? Maybe 7. It's not the prettiest but better than nothing. The mites definitely took some although it could have been the defoliation too. Either way. The mites seem gone now. The last is the hempy outdoor that refuses to show sex.

IMG 20220924 143446297
IMG 20220924 124106471
IMG 20220924 143554165
Homesteader

Homesteader

Three of the Nagaland cross. a few of the plants are really lanky like the first then one is squat and looking more like a hybrid. The triple node plant is probably the only one I'll keep out of this batch unless one is much stronger or different later on. Just repotted about 8 more into one gallon that I will sex indoors. The Laos went in bigger pots and out to the greenhouse for a few months

IMG 20220925 105727289
IMG 20220925 105715135
IMG 20220925 105647853
Homesteader

Homesteader

Really excited to let this Nagaland go until it can't take the cold any longer. She is in the greenhouse. Hoping to get to November 15th lor later. Been real chilly lately but the greenhouse ground is what matters. I fed the Burma's to the rabbits

IMG 20221003 134050433
IMG 20221003 134043411
IMG 20221003 134035975
Homesteader

Homesteader

The smells coming off of this are really intense. The other two don't seem to have any but this one is definitely a keeper. Still only a little over half done. Triple nodes and denser nugs them the others.
I have a few more female crosses starting to show. I'll keep them small though. Also replanted the Laos together in a big steel container.

IMG 20221013 083931923
IMG 20221013 1100305242
IMG 20221013 083903589
IMG 20221013 083848275
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
The smells coming off of this are really intense. The other two don't seem to have any but this one is definitely a keeper. Still only a little over half done. Triple nodes and denser nugs them the others.
I have a few more female crosses starting to show. I'll keep them small though. Also replanted the Laos together in a big steel container.
Hey, Those are odd skinny plants with long this leaves...sativa original?......I don't want to knock your grow but I'm not a fan of those hairy buds. I just grew out a beauty looking Platinum OG with lots of hair...Big Beautiful buds....until they dry and it all goes to air... I also find them trickier to grow, I have more leaf problems and feed troubles plus they take for ever to finish.....There had to be a valid reason to grow those sativa strains but I'm not sure what it is......I smoke a lot and big buds hairy buds just disapear in from of my eyes.

Top Bottom