Hop virus? What are the symptoms in veg and flower

• Thread starter Buttercup726
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Buttercup726

Buttercup726

As the title states. What are some characteristics that would a plant would display in veg and flower?

Will the plant still stretch in flower?

So far I’ve noticed brittle branches, tight nodes, smaller plants and leaves

Does this plant look like it is infected?

Idk if it’s genetics but it has a lot of sideway branches and a lot of shoots.

thoughts?

Hop virus what are the symptoms in veg and flower
mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

I haven't seen this virus, but I think you'd be the best to judge whether this plant is stunted. What do the other plants from the same stock look like, or what should they look like?

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
That plant is not infected.
The plant will have noticeable defects, maybe not the hole plant.
Just a branch.
In veg it’s a little harder to tell.
Smaller leaves, stunted leaves, somewhat bad health.
In flower the buds will be stunted noticeably by week 5 of flower. It will have a fresh on the vine tomatoe smell. I just threw out 2 plants that have the disease in week 8 of flower.
I’ve also had plants I’ve brought to full term where only one branch on the plant was infected.
Take care when taking cuts from plant to plant. Always sanitize you cutting instruments.
I switch scissors every plant now and soak scissors in 100% bleach.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

@1diesel1 Thanks for the info. This is helpful. I'm sure none of my plants have it, but this is something most of us haven't seen.

T

TryingToGrow

Supporter
As the title states. What are some characteristics that would a plant would display in veg and flower?

Will the plant still stretch in flower?

So far I’ve noticed brittle branches, tight nodes, smaller plants and leaves

Does this plant look like it is infected?

Idk if it’s genetics but it has a lot of sideway branches and a lot of shoots.

thoughts?

Never heard of a plant virus but your plant looks okay, the purple stems tell me you have been having pH out of range. Having pH out of range will lead to more plant problems than anyone wants to deal with/observe.

T

TryingToGrow

Supporter
I think I’d have to see that to believe it. I’ve seen plants do everything and much more than what their list of symptoms is, just from being in bad pH medium.

kinda like blossom end rot, they start seedlings in soil with bad pH, plant gets messed up and then they say it needs calcium lol.

Buttercup726

Buttercup726

I think I’d have to see that to believe it. I’ve seen plants do everything and much more than what their list of symptoms is, just from being in bad pH medium.

kinda like blossom end rot, they start seedlings in soil with bad pH, plant gets messed up and then they say it needs calcium lol.
It’s real. I’ve seen it first hand and a lot of documented cases of it in big licensed grows across the country.

T

TryingToGrow

Supporter
It’s real. I’ve seen it first hand and a lot of documented cases of it in big licensed grows across the country.
If you’re trying to convince me, that’s not gonna do it.

the first pic you posted (in op), shows a plant that is clearly having feeding issues or (more likely), pH issues. Same goes for the other plants pictured in this thread.

Last edited:
tobh

tobh

Supporter
Here’s the plant with the virus I put outside a couple days ago.
This is a clone I took cuttings of.
This is at 9 weeks flower.
It smells like tomato’s on the vineView attachment 1199355View attachment 1199356
That's wild. even the calyx structure takes on an appearance similar to hops. Do you have any concern about the virus spreading to other hosts once the infected plant is outside in these colder temps? I'd suspect the only surefire way to dispose of an infected plant is in an incinerator or other extremely hot fire, or through the use of seriously volatile chemicals like lab grade ISO, napthalene, xylene, etc.

Buttercup726

Buttercup726

That's wild. even the calyx structure takes on an appearance similar to hops. Do you have any concern about the virus spreading to other hosts once the infected plant is outside in these colder temps? I'd suspect the only surefire way to dispose of an infected plant is in an incinerator or other extremely hot fire, or through the use of seriously volatile chemicals like lab grade ISO, napthalene, xylene, etc.

scissors, blades, tools you would use in your garden are the easiest way it jumps from plant to plant. Pruning lolipoping cloning etc

Top Bottom