Horizontal Growth vs. Vertical Growth

• Thread starter BAMBINO7
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BAMBINO7

BAMBINO7

This is the first time Iā€™m ever trying to grow. I have no clue what the strand is. Iā€™m just growing a seed that I found in my bag of weed. Iā€™ve been pretty much successful so far I think...

Iā€™ve kept my room at about 70 degrees and humidity around 68-70 as well.

I had a question regarding vertical growth. At what point should I start to see the plant grow vertically? I started growing this plant 4 weeks ago. This is what it looks like now. It has a thick canopy. Does it look like itā€™s growing as it should? When should I see it start to grow upwards? I heard when it starts it grows fast. Do I need to prune it and start to train it? Iā€™ve never done this before so Iā€™m trying to learn correctly before I start to grow the other seeds I have from Seedsman.
Also I just noticed I have some green stuff growing on my soil around the inside edge of my pot. What could this be? Thanks in advance!

Horizontal growth vs vertical growth
Horizontal growth vs vertical growth 2
Horizontal growth vs vertical growth 3
LexLuthor

LexLuthor

What kind of light are you using? Bag seed don't have stable genetics so it could be that and/or the light you use has a high kelvin temperature.

Green stuff on top of the soil looks like algae.

NrthTaylor

NrthTaylor

Is there a reason you want it to be tall? If you don't have a good light you'll benefit more trying to keep them shorter. It looks to be growing right so far, how many nodes (how many sets of branches are there)? Most of the "stretch" will occur in the beginning of flower. You can cause them to stretch in veg by raising the light so its farther from your plant or adding more red in the spectrum.
Good luck

BAMBINO7

BAMBINO7

What kind of light are you using? Bag seed don't have stable genetics so it could be that and/or the light you use has a high kelvin temperature.

Green stuff on top of the soil looks like algae.
This is the light Iā€™m using. Like I said I have no clue what Iā€™m growing. Just a seed I found in a bag of weed I bought. I want to experiment with this and learn what I can before growing these other feminized seeds.
Should I be worried about the algae? Iā€™ve noticed more and more little flies every day. They look like fruit flies. Is this something to worry about?

BFFFC186 3037 43F1 8A2C 39ED7601443A
BAMBINO7

BAMBINO7

Is there a reason you want it to be tall? If you don't have a good light you'll benefit more trying to keep them shorter. It looks to be growing right so far, how many nodes (how many sets of branches are there)? Most of the "stretch" will occur in the beginning of flower. You can cause them to stretch in veg by raising the light so its farther from your plant or adding more red in the spectrum.
Good luck
No reason I want it to be tall. It just seems all the videos Iā€™m watching about growing indoors their plants are way taller and starting to grow up around the 4 week mark. Attached is the grow light Iā€™m using and also how I have my room set up.
It looks like the plant is starting itā€™s 4th node. The newest leaves looks to have 9 points per leaf.
Iā€™m just trying to learn as much as I can since Iā€™m new to this. Appreciate the feedback!

1B1BA7DC 7B61 4542 B224 35D83C8D3B6B
BAMBINO7

BAMBINO7

No reason I want it to be tall. It just seems all the videos Iā€™m watching about growing indoors their plants are way taller and starting to grow up around the 4 week mark. Attached is the grow light Iā€™m using and also how I have my room set up.
It looks like the plant is starting itā€™s 4th node. The newest leaves looks to have 9 points per leaf.
Iā€™m just trying to learn as much as I can since Iā€™m new to this. Appreciate the feedback!

A1C52760 9113 4F6A 977D F6ED4F681C37
NrthTaylor

NrthTaylor

They are growing a little slow, I've never used a cob style light so I can't really comment on that. It could also be your temperature. I keep mine around 78f, you can have slow growth from low temperatures and if the ground is cold making the roots cold it'll compound the slow growth.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

LED's don't generate much heat, I've never used them before, yet, but people who use them with success have said temps should be around 80F. Also, get a decent soil from a hydro store, not the stuff at Home Depot or Walmart, it'll work, but you will have better results with higher quality soil.

There is alot of different opinions on different subjects about growing cannabis, so experience is the best way to learn. So learn from your mistakes and enjoy what you are doing. Good luck!

StankStirr

StankStirr

I would also space your watering out. Those little bugs that look like fruit flies, are fungus gnats. You'll get those from not letting your grow medium dry out enough, watering too often, or even from low quality box store soil. It looks like you're using soil, so you are going to want to water, then let it dry out in the top inch of dirt before watering again. I'm guessing the green algae looking stuff is related to everything being constantly waterlogged. Make sure the pot you're using has drain holes in the bottom as well. I would let that dirt dry out before you water again.

Habosabin

Habosabin

Photos or autos? My little experience with autos they seem to be on the smaller stockier side compared to photos.

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

It looks to me like you are overwatering. Research the threads here at the forum, lots of good info and great folks. You might want to start here-

Overwatering is probably the most common mistake new growers make, myself included. That, and loving your plants to death. šŸ¤£

Latest posts

Top Bottom