House and Garden Aqua Flakes user advice

• Thread starter Frostie069
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Frostie069

Frostie069

Hi All,

I am approaching week 4 of my NFT grow. (first timer)

I decided to use H&G Aqua flakes.

From day one my ph has just kept skyrocketing was sitting at 7.1ph & EC 0.8. I would have it at 5.5, in a matter of 6 hours 7.1.
Using straight Tap water - ph from tap 7.3 EC 0.2 temp 15C
In the first week or few days should I say, I had to immediately tweak the setup. Remove reservoir from tent to lower reservoir temp, added chiller as temps in reservoir were hitting 24C. Temp stable 19-20C.
I think in the first week I also did about 3 water changes ranging from 50% to 100% changes. same same.

week two I purchased H&G stabil/osmose added it to tap water with 7.1ph and 0.2EC temp 15C.
that took my ph to 8.0 and just wanted to keep heading to that number even while lowering it to 5.4-5.5, within 12hours.
I've turned off all airstones, nup.
50 & 100% water changes, nup.
letting water sit for longer, nup.

week three I changed the filters and fired up my RO system. 4.8-5.1ph 0.0EC temp 15C, I wasn't sure whether I wanted to add the stabil/osmose but I did, ph 7.8 0.2EC temp 15C with heater. I lowered the ph to 5.5 and it sat stable until I added it to my system and started circulation, it took 24hrs but has been sitting at 7.6 and is now sitting at 7.9 and EC has been lowering gradually with it.

So after all that, ill provide pics but they're happy and healthy and growing, now whether I am getting optimal growth I doubt it but I have nothing to compare to as this is my first time with NFT.

Question: I have been reading a bit more on nutrients the last 48hrs. A fair bit of stuff doesn't seem easily accessible to us in Oz but I had planned on taking the plunge and placing an expensive order to potentially have our customs seize it. SOOOOO...... Advanced nutrients hahahaha jeez its like bringing up religion or politics at the dinner table, They state with their ph perfect nutrients that even when the ph is out of whack their solutions still make nutrients readily available to the plants. Pretty bold statement, but from what I read they're quite good with their statements. My question is, if this were to be true, is H&G doing a similar thing and I just haven't read about it? In all honesty I've been reading so much about other nutrients and just started reading more of what Ive got and they're meant to be pretty good, instead of changing I'm going to get the full line up for this grow and maybe next before giving something else a go. At the moment I have a starter kit, so im going to get majority of the others and do the pro nutrients instead of classic which leave out added nitrogen and mag etc.

I'll add some comparison pics, so you can see the plants from then to now and maybe someone can shed some light into what's going on here. While I'm happy they are doing well, they shouldn't be and I don't understand why and that makes me nervous, maybe they're not doing so well and someone has some tips.

TIA and happy growing
House and garden aqua flakes user advice
House and garden aqua flakes user advice 2
House and garden aqua flakes user advice 3
House and garden aqua flakes user advice 4
House and garden aqua flakes user advice 5

Frostie069

Frostie069

Hi All,

I am hoping there are some knowledgeable growers out there that can help me out here.

If there are any H&G nutrient users out there I would also love to hear any advices you may have using their nutrients.

So more information regarding my ph. And just to clarify, I'm not chasing ph, I was kind of in the first week and a half, but I was more so just trying to get it to stay in its range as 7.1-8.0 is out of whack. Now I'm not fighting it, just letting it sit wherever as long as my plants are looking happy, but it just doesn't make sense to me.

Saturday I made a fresh batch of RO, let it sit for 24hrs, added stabiliser, waited another 24hrs, added nutrients, waited another 24hrs, added ph down, waited 24hrs.
readings:
RO: 0.0EC 4.9Ph 15C
stabiliser added: 0.2EC 8.5Ph 18C
wait 24hrs
nutrients added: 1.6EC 6.7Ph 18C
wait 24hrs
ph down added: 1.6EC 5.6Ph 18C
24hrs later: 1.6EC 6.1Ph 18C
ph down added: 1.6EC 5.5Ph 18C
6 hours later: 1.6EC 5.9Ph 18C

One thing I can rule out is my system being the cause, since the beginning I thought it may be my system leaching (silicone). Well no no, I bring the ph down and it just wants to keep coming up. Is it the nutrients? am I missing something? After making this batch of nutrients using this process and still having the ph rise has added to my confusion, it does appear though, when added to the NFT system, it will rise quicker than it doesn't not in the system.

Really hoping someone can shed some light into this for me!!

TIA and happy growing.

Oldsog

Oldsog

Supporter
i use H&G and have for a very long time. at times i do get fluctuations in my ph, i use RO water. it adjust my ph at every watering if needed but in my experience it's usually time to change filters on the RO and scrub a everything down.

RO water, Silica product, calmag, A&B, Ph water add Zyme or budxl check ph again.

Frostie069

Frostie069

i use H&G and have for a very long time. at times i do get fluctuations in my ph, i use RO water. it adjust my ph at every watering if needed but in my experience it's usually time to change filters on the RO and scrub a everything down.

RO water, Silica product, calmag, A&B, Ph water add Zyme or budxl check ph again.
Thanks so much for the reply mate, really appreciate sharing your nutrients. All taken onboard and will try out.

Frostie069

Frostie069

also there is this thing. i haven't used one but it claims to stablize Ph
https://www.torushydro.com
thanks again, I guess I'll make this a worst case scenario.

I'd like to try and sort it out the old fashioned way, ultimately id like a ph that has some fluctuation but mines just high, but the plants seem to be ok at 7.1-8.0 🤯
I calibrated the Bluelab guardian before this grow started, (today is the start of week 4) I have more calibration solution on the way, while I need to calibrate it again to rule it out, I just don't believe its that, my tap water ph is still reading correct.

Since it seems I'm lucky enough to have someone with so much growing experience and a H&G user, do you mind looking at the photos and giving me your expert opinion on how the plants are going? Just on their own and also in comparison to other grow methods in regards to speed? While I'm a newb and things will/should get better in grow time, I just don't know how I'm going and I want to make things optimal for best possible results.

Thanks for lending me your time

Happy Growing!!

Oldsog

Oldsog

Supporter
thanks again, I guess I'll make this a worst case scenario.

I'd like to try and sort it out the old fashioned way, ultimately id like a ph that has some fluctuation but mines just high, but the plants seem to be ok at 7.1-8.0 🤯
I calibrated the Bluelab guardian before this grow started, (today is the start of week 4) I have more calibration solution on the way, while I need to calibrate it again to rule it out, I just don't believe its that, my tap water ph is still reading correct.

Since it seems I'm lucky enough to have someone with so much growing experience and a H&G user, do you mind looking at the photos and giving me your expert opinion on how the plants are going? Just on their own and also in comparison to other grow methods in regards to speed? While I'm a newb and things will/should get better in grow time, I just don't know how I'm going and I want to make things optimal for best possible results.

Thanks for lending me your time

Happy Growing!!
check out my IG profile tons of pix there @DirtyOldsog

Top Bottom