How are you supposed to water super soil?

• Thread starter Dtraderbudz23
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

Dtraderbudz23

I originally was just planning to water until run off. But then realized people recommending that are synthetic feeders. I then read with super soil you don't actually want to run off water at all and should stick to roughly .5 gallon of water to 5 gallon bucket every 3-4 days. You're supposed to keep the soil moist. Anybody who grows organic with super soil that can enlighten me would be great!!

D

Dtraderbudz23

I'm kind of at my spending limit just bought a 200 dollar apera ph ppm meter so I'll have to keep that in mind for later. Any suggestions on doing it manually?

freezeland2

freezeland2

I'm kind of at my spending limit just bought a 200 dollar apera ph ppm meter so I'll have to keep that in mind for later. Any suggestions on doing it manually?
Are you indoor? Plastic pots will retain moisture longer over fabric and will help to keep it moist. The danger you are going to have is overwatering. Iā€™d recommend getting a final pot and fill it and moisten the soil to what is just moist. Weigh that pot. That weight will be the target weight of pots. When you water use something like a sprayer so you have more control. You donā€™t want living soil to dry back like regular soil. It is why drippers are preferred along with a quality moisture meter. 100 mb is the sweet spot.

If outdoors use fabric pots and keep them watered. Fabric outdoors dry back pretty quick.

D

Dtraderbudz23

Yeah I got the 5 gallon air pots. Indoor grow 4x4. What does MB stand for?

YoungPadawan

YoungPadawan

Yeah I got the 5 gallon air pots. Indoor grow 4x4. What does MB stand for?
Just try to keep it moist. You don't want runoff usually. If the soil becomes hydrophobic use a wetting agent like yucca. And MB stands for Malted Barley.

freezeland2

freezeland2

Just try to keep it moist. You don't want runoff usually. If the soil becomes hydrophobic use a wetting agent like yucca. And MB stands for Malted Barley.
Cover crops help but that isnā€™t what I was referring to with mb. I was recommending maintaining 100 millibars of moisture in the soil.

D

Dtraderbudz23

So with this being indoors keeping the soil constantly moist won't cause over watering issues for the plants and mold? I wish there was like a guide for this but I've looked hard and haven't found a thing

YoungPadawan

YoungPadawan

So with this being indoors keeping the soil constantly moist won't cause over watering issues for the plants and mold? I wish there was like a guide for this but I've looked hard and haven't found a thing
With living soil, you want it to stay moist but also have aeration. You could always add more pumice or whatever you're using.

PrimoClonesCanada

PrimoClonesCanada

Supporter
You just water it normally but don't let it dry out to much between watering. Hope that makes sense. So no run off when you water and don't let it dry out to much, if it wilts or gets close that's way too dry.
Always keep it moist, No run off. Depending on pot size you shouldn't have to water everyday unless you have a bigger plant in a smaller pot.

Hope that helps

D

Dtraderbudz23

You just water it normally but don't let it dry out to much between watering. Hope that makes sense. So no run off when you water and don't let it dry out to much, if it wilts or gets close that's way too dry.
Always keep it moist, No run off. Depending on pot size you shouldn't have to water everyday unless you have a bigger plant in a smaller pot.

Hope that helps
I bought this moisture meter that has a long steel rod and measure between 1-10 dry to wet so I'll just stick with trying to keep the soil near the middle. Thanks

I

IamN2pot

Here is a tip I use. I take my old, used white carbon prefilter cloth and cut it into circles the sizes I need. I use them as both a fungus gnat barier and for moister retention. You just pour your water right on/through the old filter and it keeps your top layer of soil moist(er), allowing the roots to grow right along the top layer of soil. You can use a double layer if needed for extra moister retention. These are all pictures of plants in, and some 5 gal cloth pots using living soil on a Just Add Water Soil system (JAWS) with the soil covers.
Hope that helps.

IMG 20220514 224024
IMG 20220514 224009
IMG 20220514 224425
IMG 20220512 204507
IMG 20220508 102711
IMG 20220508 094620

D

Dtraderbudz23

Here is a tip I use. I take my old, used white carbon prefilter cloth and cut it into circles the sizes I need. I use them as both a fungus gnat barier and for moister retention. You just pour your water right on/through the old filter and it keeps your top layer of soil moist(er), allowing the roots to grow right along the top layer of soil. You can use a double layer if needed for extra moister retention. These are all pictures of plants in, and some 5 gal cloth pots using living soil on a Just Add Water Soil system (JAWS) with the soil covers.
Hope that helps.

View attachment 1245140 View attachment 1245141 View attachment 1245152 View attachment 1245155 View attachment 1245158 View attachment 1245159
I'll have to see about buying some the ones I have are black I don't know if that matters. We get fungus Nats every year here in Missouri. My property had a bunch of moss growing by my back door where sun rarely hits. I ripped all that up in hopes that we won't see them. I was unaware they breed in that shit. I also was thinking to buy lady bugs if I find them or anything else in the grow tent since I'm trying to stick to 100% organic

I

IamN2pot

I'll have to see about buying some the ones I have are black I don't know if that matters. We get fungus Nats every year here in Missouri. My property had a bunch of moss growing by my back door where sun rarely hits. I ripped all that up in hopes that we won't see them. I was unaware they breed in that shit. I also was thinking to buy lady bugs if I find them or anything else in the grow tent since I'm trying to stick to 100% organic
LOL, what ... you think I replace my prefilter when it's clean? šŸ˜‰ It won't hurt a thing if they're dirty and yes, I reuse mine, over and over. If it really bothers you, shake the dust out and give it a rinse in a bucket of water.
And speaking of water, our city water is terrible here for plants, so I started off using RO, against the advice of supersoil sellers. Now I know why. To many Cal and Mag problems, so now I run my city water through a double hose filter like Buggy Blue and GroGreen to remove the chloramine, then pH down it with lemon juice. E-Z P-Z!
I'm also looking into BTI (Bacillus thuringiensis subsp. israelensis) Mosquito Bits to kill the pesky little things, but for now the filter barier is working well. Only the occasional gnat, and the picture above shows how moist I 'try' keeping the soil at the top of the pots.
Hope that helps.

D

Dtraderbudz23

LOL, what ... you think I replace my prefilter when it's clean? šŸ˜‰ It won't hurt a thing if they're dirty and yes, I reuse mine, over and over. If it really bothers you, shake the dust out and give it a rinse in a bucket of water.
And speaking of water, our city water is terrible here for plants, so I started off using RO, against the advice of supersoil sellers. Now I know why. To many Cal and Mag problems, so now I run my city water through a double hose filter like Buggy Blue and GroGreen to remove the chloramine, then pH down it with lemon juice. E-Z P-Z!
I'm also looking into BTI (Bacillus thuringiensis subsp. israelensis) Mosquito Bits to kill the pesky little things, but for now the filter barier is working well. Only the occasional gnat, and the picture above shows how moist I 'try' keeping the soil at the top of the pots.
Hope that helps.
Ha that's funny I am using an RO filter also.. I may just start filling 5 gallon water buckets up and leaving them outside for I think12-24 hours I remember reading gets rid of the chlorine

I

IamN2pot

Ha that's funny I am using an RO filter also.. I may just start filling 5 gallon water buckets up and leaving them outside for I think12-24 hours I remember reading gets rid of the chlorine
As long as chlorine is all you have, yes, 24 hours should neutralize it. Make sure your city isn't adding chloramine. It's like chlorine on steroids and you'll need either a filter with "catalytic" carbon filter or you can use L-asorbic acid (vitamin C) to neutralize it. The ratio is about 1gr vitamin C to 30 gals of water. Just make sure your vitamin C doesn't have any additives. Google will tell you all about it. Hopefully you don't have chloramine in your water!!!
Hope that helps!

AZsunfarmer

AZsunfarmer

I would get my money back on that pH pen. Donā€™t really need it for living soil. I have shitty Phoenix water and I use it no problem. Whatever you do donā€™t let the pot dry. One of mine is in real bad shape because I forgot to water and the pot dried out completely. I lost the soil viability and the plant burned hardcore, trying my best to bring it back. It was working so amazing prior to that, it was one of the healthiest plants Iā€™ve ever grown.

Latest posts

Top Bottom