How Big Of A Deal Is Light Bleaching

• Thread starter legaleyes13
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
legaleyes13

legaleyes13

Running a new strain under DEs. Started out with a 5' canopy, plants have grown and reduced the canopy to about 4'. Had the lights turned down for a bit, but couldn't resist riding out my typical schedule and flipped em to 1000... Been having bleaching throughout. I'm about to flip to 12/12 soon.

My question is, how debilitating is light bleaching? Plants seem to be growing relatively fine, but obviously bleached and the leaves have that light bleaching feel to them.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
If the lights are 4 feet away they shouldnt be bleaching, are you sure they just don't need a calmag suppliment?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
It will affect the buds if it continues through flowering.

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

I recently experienced some light bleaching and just let it ride thru flower. I found some bud rot here and there while harvesting and the majority of it was from the plants too close to the lights.

MeJuana

MeJuana

You are running out of room and you haven't even flipped them to flower yet? You need to start breaking tops and bushing out the plant by hand. Those plants will push your ceiling off my friend.

legaleyes13

legaleyes13

You are running out of room and you haven't even flipped them to flower yet? You need to start breaking tops and bushing out the plant by hand. Those plants will push your ceiling off my friend.
They'll be fine. I normally tie them down/open them up sooner but haven't been able to get to them. They won't get any closer than 36'' away.

legaleyes13

legaleyes13

I recently experienced some light bleaching and just let it ride thru flower. I found some bud rot here and there while harvesting and the majority of it was from the plants too close to the lights.
did it affect potency/taste/yield anything like that.

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

did it affect potency/taste/yield anything like that

Still too early to tell, though I wouldn't be surprised if thc was degraded a bit. But that's just my .02, nothing scientific to back it up.

Imo light bleaching, like any stress, may weaken the plants natural defences.

MeJuana

MeJuana

I burnt my buds one time years ago at about 7 of 9 weeks and I didn't want to chop it off. It mostly stopped growing but any healthy calyxs did swell. I didn't chop off the burnt stuff I figured that where I sliced through the bud it would be dead on the edges anyway. So yeah it matured underneath the burnt area, the burnt stuff tasted nasty right at the epicenter but the rest of the bud seemed fine to me. It sucks when it happens but this is how we learn. I was worried about mold between the burnt area and the bud so I watched it but for me it was ok.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
The plant seems to 'see' it as a violation, so it'll grow around if possible, leading to some funky looking flowers. I didn't experience rot, but I can see it happening.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
The plant seems to 'see' it as a violation, so it'll grow around if possible, leading to some funky looking flowers. I didn't experience rot, but I can see it happening.
I think the reason it grows around is because the bleached spot is just as dead is if it were brown and crumbly in the bleached spot. If that spot is dead the plant can only grow around it and the spot where it is damaged is weakened and more susceptable to things like bud rot and pests, especially if it isn't completely removed.

K

kfuller802vt

i have two tents one for veg one for flower. i currently have a clone of the plant i just harvested ready inthe veg tent. this plant grew too big in the veg tent ( more due to my being lazy and not training it earlier and taking up room with other plants) but i can definitely see a yellowish bleaching of the leaves. it is still growing and i put a metal scrog on it to control some growth before i move it into the flower tent. if i were to give the plant another week or two of veg in the flower tent, would the buds not be affected by the light bleaching caused in the veg tent?

K

kfuller802vt

these are old pictures its lights off so i can get new pictures tomorrow. that is a hlg 260 qb but i have the dimmer turned down all the way the section of the plant that is yellowish is 6” from the light

1AC438C9 896B 4FA0 8644 72D8AF64A7A0
1CE96AC3 63C1 4D50 8AC1 BF6C08C7D574
BCF65D30 DA2D 4E8F A984 FD3836341774
K

kfuller802vt

reason i think it is light bleaxhing is because when i take the plant out if the tent to water the side that isnt directly under the light is a darker shade of green. the plant obviously is getting the same amount of nutes all over, so wouldnt that be an indication of light bleaching?

needshelpguy

needshelpguy

What light you using? Doesn't look like light bleaching to me with my limited experience with it only been growing a few years and am called needshelpguy so take it with a grain of salt, I think they look underfed cause they look a little yellow on some lower leaves?

needshelpguy

needshelpguy

But if it is clearly only where the light is close and not in other areas then i guess it is light bleaching how many watts in that hlg 260 qb light?

K

kfuller802vt

in the veg tent there is a hlg 260 which is at the lowest point on the dimmer, so prob 125 watts. also right next to it is a single 25 watt t5 fs +uva . the leaves are about 6” or closer to the lights. i clipped a couple tops off that were 2” away from the Hlg board. my question really is, is it possible to light bleach your plants at a low ppfd? i have a light meter and the general reading at that low intensity was around 450-550 ppfd at 17 hours lights on. i guess so then right?

Top Bottom