How do I eliminate springtails?

• Thread starter botanist13
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

botanist13

I have a moderate problem with springtails. I have already added hyoaspsis miles mites to my grow with little effect. Does anyone know how to get rid of these little pests?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Not without hitting the whole batch with some heavy pesticides, and even then, they do no harm so they're one of the bugs I don't worry about.

P

paulycali

The brand SAFER has great OMRI products that will eradicate those little bastards. Good luck with those dam pests

B

botanist13

Thanks for the advice.

I will post some pics of the damage sunday late night or monday.

R

red_eye

Are springtails known for causing damage? I'm curious whats happening...

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
<shrug> I've been searching for data on that because I always have springtails in the moist areas, around my potted plants, etcetera. Everything I find says they cause no damage but can develop numbers that make them a 'nuisance'. I say if it ain't broke don't fix it, besides, we've got no call to go around trying to kill every living thing we find just because we don't understand it.

B

botanist13

Springtail damage

Acording to Hemp Diseases and Pests, springtails such as the garden springtail, bourletiella hortensis "causes stippling of leaves, much like spider mites."
Later today I hope to have pics up.

McPartland, J.M., R.C. Clarke, D.P. Watson, 2000. Hemp Diseases and Pests:Management and Biological Control, CABI Publishing, New York, New York 251pp.

BakedasBeans

BakedasBeans

Ive had springtains on a few occasions and havent had any negative affects tward growth, infact one of the best plants ive grown had a springtail infestation. Everything I have read says that most species of springtail can in some way be bennificial to a garden. Ive read that they live off of decaying matter and that they are attracted to light and need water to live as well. Anywhere where they can see light they will go. I have left a plain bucket of water out around an infected plant and in almost no time there were springtails hopping around in the bucket of plain water. But i still have not seen any negative affects on the plant from springtails alone. The only thing i would worry about is the possibilitly of them farming in other bugs but I dont even know if they do that. If you want to try to get rid of them anyway I found that azamax works pretty well as a control with them since they arent very hard to kill compared to an aphid. You just have to stay on a regular schedule of azamax or they will come back.

B

botanist13

Springtail damage pictures

Here are some pictures that I took showing the type of damage done by my springtails.

These springtails suck sap from the top of new leaves, leaving a sappy residue on the leaf. Continued feeding by the critters ends up destroying all photosynthetic cells on leaves.

I thought at first that these were some type of aphid larvae or thrips. I only decided they were springtails after looking at them under fairly high magnification.
If anyone disagrees with my diagnosis please let me know what you think.

Thanks a lot

Springtail Clone Damage
Springtail Clone Damage 2
Springtail post1
Springtail post2
Springtail post3
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Do not believe everything that you read.

Acording to Hemp Diseases and Pests, springtails such as the garden springtail, bourletiella hortensis "causes stippling of leaves, much like spider mites."
Later today I hope to have pics up.

McPartland, J.M., R.C. Clarke, D.P. Watson, 2000. Hemp Diseases and Pests:Management and Biological Control, CABI Publishing, New York, New York 251pp.
That's kind of hilarious, but only if you knew what I was reading. ;) Have you done much searching on agricultural/horticultural extension sites? Those are the places I tend to look, and I've always solved my problems using these resources (often doing better than by following other growers' advice).

In any event, what if you eliminate them and the damage doesn't stop, then what?

:coffee

Blucross

Blucross

I notice these are Young leaves, do they injure the older leaves also ? How much of a magnifier will I need to actually see the culprits ?
Please continue posting with success and failures at eliminating these.
Respectfully
Blucross

S

sonik1

the second from last pic looks like Thrip trails, are you sure their Springtales ? if it is, i need to get rid of them aswell, that looks like pretty bad damage , i have springtales under my pots in the drip trays, but i haven't noticed anything like in your pics botanist13

R

red_eye

If its thrips. I have used GreenLight Neem II successfully in the past. One spray-down top to bottom and they are gone!

K

Kristen

Man that looks exactly like Thrips. I have thrips now and springtails too. Thrips are harmful and lay their eggs in the leaf tissue (IN it.) It's disgusting. They also leave trails along with silvery patches on the leaves. Their fecal droppings can be mistaken as spider mites upon first site.
I know that springtails don't harm a harvest because I had the springtails before I got thrips and last batch came out stellar. Now on the new batch I just got thrips too and this is what the leaves look like:
20141013 011610
20141013 011529

If you look close you can see a thrip larva on the spot where it has been feeding.

20141013 011349
20141013 011511
Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
That's for sure thrips. Springtails won't do that. @Kristen is spot on.

Also by the look of your leaves (unless those aren't your leaves) it looks like you are having issues with either root aphids or over feeding.

I would ditch the LED and use a 315w CMH bulb if you are worried about energy savings, otherwise get a 750w gavita DE or even a 600w SE and never look back.

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
looks lije thrips n iron defic or maybe anbissue with micro nutes on those leaves...

M

mulehunter

Springtail damage pictures

Here are some pictures that I took showing the type of damage done by my springtails.

These springtails suck sap from the top of new leaves, leaving a sappy residue on the leaf. Continued feeding by the critters ends up destroying all photosynthetic cells on leaves.

I thought at first that these were some type of aphid larvae or thrips. I only decided they were springtails after looking at them under fairly high magnification.
If anyone disagrees with my diagnosis please let me know what you think.

Thanks a lot
It looks like i have the same problem how did you get rid of them little jumpers?

Latest posts

Top Bottom