How do I keep pot plants from falling over.

• Thread starter Friendo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

Friendo

Hi Farmers - I just lost a plant last night. The wind blew it over. I'm still in the learning curve here, not doing too bad but there's a lot to learn. How do I prevent this from happening. When I replant outside should I try to bury the the stalk deeper say 6" - !0". Does anybody have some clever methods to stake out the plants. I've seen bamboo tripods used with poles roped to the sides to stabilize the surrounding plants (I think thats what there doing) in the magazines buy some growers. I'm sure this has been a problem for other growers. Got some Ideas for me?
Thanks; FRIENDO

215 User

215 User

Metal stakes or hell a spare shovel,broom,hoe against the main stem will get it done.

C

chef green

depending on where your site is use whats available to you tree saplings that wont cross polinate can be easily replanted next to your lady; it can not only be used for a tie-off support but also add a little stealth be sure to do your research on what you do use so it donsen't affect your ladies good luck and keep it pointed to the sun.

K

KhizrKhizr

Tomato cages. It is too late to use them this year, but you may want to try them in the future. Your local hardware should have stakes (typically green plastic ones) which are useful in supporting plants from toppling over.

D

Dice

Hears a quick way to steak a plant. Take sum string or what ever small rope. Tie a loop in 1 end. Then wrap rope or string around plant not bud and run the tail trew your loop. Next tie a stic to your tail and pull it out tell the string is tight you may wan tto do this on two sides for sure.
When a plant falls over you can stand it back up and if the stock brooke you could duct tape it.

fractal

fractal

Bigger pots! :boogie:

A proper sized planter should be steady and solid for the plant to be in without blowing over. Go wider and shallower instead of tall and skinny.

T

the man with no

lolz.... bricks around the base? is this a joke thread?

H

HB Dave

I have found stakes to be very useful in this area, but will be trying cages next grow.

G

gulf island

once your plant has gone to flower and done its stretch you should clean bottoms off that the light doesnt really get to and also to alow air flow threw the plant and alow the fertilizer to go to main top buds get a good size stake and tie the branches to the stake starting with the main stock.before your buds have flowers,so you dont arrive one day to your buds laying in the ground..

THECALI.KID

THECALI.KID

hi there i use stakes and green tie wire this should fix u up but if the plant is a few mounts old the root base should be strong enough to hold the plant its self so u may have a root rot problem or if its in bud the buds may be getting to big and u will use stakes happy grow The Cali. Kid

H

headband707

There is always a chance that your plant will fall or blow over from weight or wind. Treat your pot plant like you would a tomato plant and stake it when you first put it in the ground. Use a heavy enough bamboo so that it won't fall with the wind or weight. Use the green plastic ties as these will grow with the stem and allow it to grow. Metal or rope or other things not only stand out but they choke off the stem. Peace out Headband707

S

Smokey1InSoCal

Bamboo is strong, thin and inexpensive.

I agree Bamboo is what I use and you cant get it at any Lows or Home Depot Garden Department. I used some thin strips of cloth that I cut from an old T-shit and tied the plant to it... very lightly, not too tight. The good thing about the Bamboo is you can reuse it next year... the stuff lasts forever.

Top Bottom