How do I Top and plants before SCROG ?

• Thread starter Keod
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Keod

Keod

Hey Guys !
This is my first grow .

r/microgrowery - First Grow : Am I topping these well for a SCROG ?

r/microgrowery - First Grow : Am I topping these well for a SCROG ?

I am using a MarsHydro TS3000 in a 4x4 . I am 4 plants in 4Gallon sized pots . Strain is Green Crack from Homblebot Seeds (Sativa dominant). And will be using a SCROG net.

All plants have been topped once expect in the far left corner
Am I Topping preparing these plants well enough before using the SCROG net ? Since it's my first time a am unsure if I am going in the right direction . Should also LST the 2 new growing sprouts on the main stem ?

What do you guys think , how should i proceed with training the plants tu fill up my tent using a scrog net ?

Last edited:
Pippins

Pippins

Better to let them grow a little bigger before topping, that way they have a bigger root mass that allows them to recover much faster. As the branches grow, use LST to train them to grow outward, to expose your budsites to an equal amount of light. Don't worry too much now, they're still small.

Keod

Keod

I already topped them once . How long should I wait ? And how many times should I top them for a scrog ?
Thanks for the fast reply

growsince79

growsince79

I already topped them once . How long should I wait ? And how many times should I top them for a scrog ?
Thanks for the fast reply
I top twice. First at two weeks and again at three weeks. Flip to 12-12 at four weeks and bend and weave till they stop stretching.

Keod

Keod

I am already at week 3 for the 3 biggest plants (had problems with the last one ...) Week4 seems to early at this stage no ?
How full is your net before you flip them ?
Thanks

growsince79

growsince79

I am already at week 3 for the 3 biggest plants (had problems with the last one ...) Week4 seems to early at this stage no ?
How full is your net before you flip them ?
Thanks
I'm talking about healthy,fast growing plants. Obviously if you have problems it will be longer. Main point is wait a week between topping and wait another week or more after last top to flip. Imo most people sacrifice relative yield by vegging to long.

growsince79

growsince79

Relative yield. Longer veg means more wasted vertical space and fewer crops per year. Smaller plants don't waste vertical space. Example. My 2 x 4 can produce 14 oz in 3 months or 16 oz in 4.5 months.

euphoria526

euphoria526

Relative yield. Longer veg means more wasted vertical space and fewer crops per year. Smaller plants don't waste vertical space. Example. My 2 x 4 can produce 14 oz in 3 months or 16 oz in 4.5 months.
are you also using a scrog net or trellis when you're flipping at 4 weeks? is it 4 weeks from rooted clone or seedling? OP is new to growing (as I am pretty new also) but wouldn't you need more than 4 weeks from seed to fill up a 4 x 4 to get an even healthy canopy? could be my inexperience, just asking out of curiosity. :D

growsince79

growsince79

are you also using a scrog net or trellis when you're flipping at 4 weeks? is it 4 weeks from rooted clone or seedling? OP is new to growing (as I am pretty new also) but wouldn't you need more than 4 weeks from seed to fill up a 4 x 4 to get an even healthy canopy? could be my inexperience, just asking out of curiosity. :D
If all goes well, in 4 weeks from sprout it would take 6-8 plants to fill the 4 x4 scrog. One plant I would need about 8-9 week veg from seed. From clones 1 week veg for 16-20 clones. My overall yield will be about the same either way, but the relative yield increases with more plants shorter veg.

euphoria526

euphoria526

If all goes well, in 4 weeks from sprout it would take 6-8 plants to fill the 4 x4 scrog. One plant I would need about 8-9 week veg from seed. From clones 1 week veg for 16-20 clones. My overall yield will be about the same either way, but the relative yield increases with more plants shorter veg.
gotcha, im in a 3 x 3 so didn't think of the higher plant count.

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Grow for life🌱
Supporter
Fill the scrog to 75-80% before flipping for best results. Use the stretch to fill the grid.
Mr.G

3F7A900C 6C01 4429 9030 C7707C9B7104
ECF48574 E68B 4E6B AB12 8E7A0546F9F5
C78B5D5E CD04 4C09 A72C 22262BDB6ED3
F15464C3 E34B 4FED 9C2E B69BB50C5BBD
11368318 2F6C 41C9 84A5 F91B01D2BA3B
Mugwort

Mugwort

I am new to this as well. There are three plants in my SCROG. The front plant is Cali Orange (sprouted from seed on 5-15). The back one on left is Maui and the right rear is Chem Dawg (both sprouted on 5-29). I probably should’ve have stuck with one strain. To make things more complicated I didn’t top the Maui and CD until it they were at least 20” tall and only once. I have a very asymmetrical grow of the three plants that grow quite differently from each other. The Cali Orange grows much faster, heartier, and with much thicker branches and stacked and very close growth nodes making it more cumbersome to defoliate. The Maui Waui has insane inner growth of leaves closer to apical and main branches close to center. I know it’s an ugly grow but it appears healthy. I think I had lights too close for a few weeks and that the Cali Orange is a bit more sensitive to too much light. Proper light exposure has been my main problem this grow as I had both lights’ canopy distances at manual’s recommended 18”. I now have them both at 24” after seeing pistils turning reddish brown in third week of flower and some bleaching of the CO leaves. I have been going crazy trying to figure optimum canopy distance for my two identical LEDs when PPFD values are known when using one light. I figured it would be easy to approximate ppfd for the overlapping fields of light. I always have to learn things hard way! Still looking for the PERFECT GROW. I’ll probably invest in some plastic cannabis plants...but I hear they are nasty smoking no matter how long you flush them. My grow was flipped 22 days ago. Pics were taken yesterday.
83DB9996 AE21 4361 8FCE F7282E6EA9CD
7B521999 D20F 4006 BE38 B505C3A14E63
888E309C 7D2E 4A73 85D2 53D75E99EC19
3C901192 91FF 4FF5 A8D4 4A4DF18255AC

Top Bottom