How do you black out windows?

• Thread starter globe_toker
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

globe_toker

Basement windows specifically.

I want to cover some windows but would like to hear some input first or any other ideas/experiences.

1. hang blinds and close them
2. build wooden enclosure to be mounted over the blinds, fastened to the concrete wall
3. lightproof the edges of the wooden enclosure
4. cover the enclosure with acoustical foam? (minimize the noise of fans etc. from penetrating)

Slowitdown

Slowitdown

If you are not running any fans outside through the window or anything and just need to black out the window the best best thing is to cover the whole window with gorilla glue black tape. That shit will completely black out the window!

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

i did what you considering on my room

use caulk to lightproof all the edges

use weatherstripping to lightproof where the cover meets the wall

had to get some 9 inch screws to get that fucker into a stud tho

Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

tack 2x4's around the window to ur concrete wall. (drill a pilot hole and use tapcons - concrete screws) then cut a piece of plywood to fit over ur window and screw that into your newly placed 2x4's. Make sure u use drapes of some sort so that way you have a normal finish for on lookers from outside. now that you have this "box" mounted to ur window. you can choose to crack the window a bit and cut a ventilation hole in ur box which in return can supply ur room with fresh air. just make sure u use ducting so no light from ur room will leak through ur new fresh air supply.

done it a million times, works great.

Natural

Natural

For the non-vented windows..I hang a closed vinyl blind..the cheap ones..then dress the walls with black/white poly. Have a 10" fan in the room and can't hear anything outside the window or see any light. The only problem I've ever had is that the summer heat and the sealed up blinds can get intense and warp the plastic of the blinds..lol. I turn the lights out and replace it real fast once a year. Curtains or those wooden blinds would work a treat..but I'm stubborn and cheap.

Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

For the non-vented windows..I hang a closed vinyl blind..the cheap ones..then dress the walls with black/white poly. Have a 10" fan in the room and can't hear anything outside the window or see any light. The only problem I've ever had is that the summer heat and the sealed up blinds can get intense and warp the plastic of the blinds..lol. I turn the lights out and replace it real fast once a year. Curtains or those wooden blinds would work a treat..but I'm stubborn and cheap.
vinyl all day!!

KENT

KENT

I like to get a nice bamboo window blind, hang it, then hang a black cloth on it, then i cover with osb wood. It looks really nice from outside, and no light every gets in or out, as i have lights on at night, so it needs to be light tight.

ChalkyWhite

ChalkyWhite

The black and white poly (100sqft roll)from discount hydro works well that's what we've been using curtains/blinds with the poly behind can't see it from outside but blocks all light. Somebody else commented on the gorilla tape I can't recommend that stuff enough we've hung some heavy stuff with GG tape...it can also be used as sticky tape :eek: I've seen whitefly get stuck on a piece

indicabush

indicabush

Howdy....Safe to assume for security reasons (like FLIR)....(Forward Looking Infrared)....If that is the case then I can direct you to a video well worth watching with excellent tips.

S

ssteely71

Blinds backed by curtains and a thick dark 5'x7' throw rug nailed over window. The rug slid all over the floor but it works great as a window covering. Looks good too.
The one thing you DONT want to do is just tack or tape blackout plastic across the windows.
Ventilation air pressure can cause tacks and staples to pull loose and humidity build up can work tape loose. Lots of good ideas listed above for sure.
Best of luck !

cannapits

cannapits

Original Swamp Fam
Supporter
ive used poly and tape many times. tried all kind of tapes but prefer the weather proofing silver tape. they keep it with the ducting. works perfect in hot and cold temps. never had it peel off unless I wanted it to. and never took off paint etc when peeled off. ive seen duct tape peel back when weather changed. worst feeling knowing the light escaped over night. Ive also wrapped my rooms with poly that had adf to protect from flir. just put up 1 x2 strips on wall to give the poly a buffer from walls

S

ssteely71

I give the warning because Ive seen negative air pressure (caused by a powerful exhaust fan and a cheap drafty window and not enough air intake) rip the poly that was stapled to the wall around the window clean off mid grow. It was my first grow and the concept of 2:1 ratio for intake/exhaust had not sunk in yet ,lol.

420 lyfePpP

420 lyfePpP

Does anyone know of a link to build a cover so I can mount my fan for intake /outtake. ? Even just the steps. No good at computer stuff. Any help be most appreciated . 420lyfe PpP peace and good vibes ☺.

Top Bottom