How do YOU flush?

• Thread starter johnnyballbag
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

johnnyballbag

Premium Member
Supporter
What's up farmers? After getting into this debate several times over the years, i wanna get a broader viewpoint. For all you hydro growers out there, how long do you flush? Do you do the "standard" 2 week flush, or less? Or longer? I'm thinking that the higher the plants metabolism, the less time required to achieve the desired effect. So in other words, if you've got your system dialed in and you have a high performance garden providing very fast growth rates, it won't take as long as say Cletus who jacked the street light from in front of his house and pisses in his miracle grow potting soil filled pots.

JoeShmoe

JoeShmoe

Premium Member
Supporter
hehehe very well put...
in a hydro system<<<with things going right<<<
i see lots of peeps pulling it off in 5-10 days<<<a few friends 3-7 days...
flush hard from the top down>>>change the rez>>>straight H2o>>
5 days>>>7 days you can see them finish up just right>>>10 days perfect meds.

depends on the medium<<<and weather your useing coco matts as well...
hydrotron pellets<<coco pellets>>>hold onto less nutes<<EASY QUICK FLUSH>>
soil soiless>>>takes longer to leech out all leftover nutes:)

lighter the medium<<less time needed for GOOD flush.

J

johnnyballbag

Premium Member
Supporter
For the record, no Cletus's were harmed in the making of this thread. Just had to get that out there....

hubcap

hubcap

hahahahahaaaa.

i read the thread title and said to myself, "Like anyone else. I push the lil level on the toilet"

either that, or prune juice.

then i remembered i was on the farm. lol

J

johnnyballbag

Premium Member
Supporter
See hub? Gettin the mind going here. Haha. Hey i was at a buddy's house the other night, and that Guiness World Record show was on. I saw this tiny little guy...and it fucked me up 'cuz i KNEW i'd seen it somewhere. Now for the epiphany...it was your avatar! Haha.

But back to the topic(yeah i smoke a lot of pot)... i've never been one to do a whole 2 week flush on a hydro crop, for me it's always been too much for my plants. Just wanted to hear what other ppl's thoughts were.

The Joker

The Joker

I flush for 7 days...but before I do, I run Clearex to get the mineral salts out of the waterfarms. I grow in hydroton with a res and controller. I change the rez every two weeks.

But for a 9 weeks strain I will peak ppms at week 5-6 , drop them radically in week 7-8, clearex, then just water for 7 days. I haven't seen significant yield diminishing, but I have seen a much smoother smoke, with no harsh.

When I first started I pushed the nutes till the end thinking it would increase yields, but I just got harsh smoke.

I saw no difference between 7, 10 and 14 days flush with smoke quality. I did try them all.

B

Blaner123Doobie

Hey Johnny
I run hydroton in ebb n flow tables and I run nothing but sweet (sugar additive)for the second to last week and nothing but plain water the last week, gives me great smoke (smooth) :-)
Hope that helps :-)

JoeShmoe

JoeShmoe

Premium Member
Supporter
good flush not only makes for a smoother smoke>>>also seems to me, flowers hold onto their smell/flavor longer.
and DRAMATICLY decreases the dry/cure time.

much finer QUALITY finished smoke.

in soiless E&F...
i start flushing in 4 days>>>
bring the hose in>>>
water from top down massively...i empty the rez 2x.
fill with water add sweetleaf>>5 days>>>
straight water last 5 days>>
dry in 5...
cured & smooth in2 weeks from pull.

SKUNK420

SKUNK420

i've done mostly E&F and DWC systems using hydroton or rockwool and i usually start flushing 7 to 10 days before i think they will be ready. i'll dump the rez and refill with flora-kleen or clearex PHed water and leave that in the system for one day to help break down built up nutrients. then the next day dump the rez and refill with PHed water. after that i'll do rez changes as often as i feel like until i harvest. on my last harvest i tried something different. i did my usual flora-kleen flush and rez dumps but when i refilled with fresh water i also added some flora nector. i didn't notice any good or bad results from trying it.

P

psychoactive

I'm a soil guy. I have been using black gold over the last year or two.

My standard flower time is 70 days. I typically feed though week 7. Week 8 they get straight water. Then I flush with Clearex at the start of week 9, in order to flush 2 full weeks.

I consider this a 3 week flush.

NOW! I have been running a number of strains recently that are completely finished at the end of week 8. This has been presenting ever increasing issues for me regarding scheduling.

I like to use AN's Overdrive in weeks 6 and 7, and I can't bear the thought of employing only a 1 week flush.

What I am thinking of doing is feeding THESE strains a finishing agent like Overdrive a week earlier than say 'normal' in order to get the flushing underway in week 7.

I think flushing is one of THE most critical factors in the gardening process that contributes to QUALITY. Smoothness and flavour = Good flushing.

X

xxYIKESxx

I use an ebb/flow system...so I generally flush the last 10 days with nothing but plain water supplemented with florilicous+ for added flavor and aroma until harvest. Works well for me...been using this method for a while with outstanding results.

JoeShmoe

JoeShmoe

Premium Member
Supporter
AMEN Psycho<<<have to agree 100% with ya>>>
its the biggest SINGLE factor in finishing the true kind, KIND KIND:) ive learned so far.
doing this step CORRECTLY<<<has been the ONE thing that has improved my QUALITY of fin meds<<<the most.
TRUST ME PEEPS<<<TRY IT YOURSELF and see. the herb smokes soooo much cleaner.
you taste what she is supposed to taste like<<<NOT unflushed nutes still left in the plant.

"I think flushing is one of THE most critical factors in the gardening process that contributes to QUALITY. Smoothness and flavour = Good flushing."

darksideX

darksideX

"I think flushing is one of THE most critical factors in the gardening process that contributes to QUALITY. Smoothness and flavour = Good flushing."
yep joe & psycho....:handshake,and have to agree with you totally!

..for myself growin' in coco,and flush my ladyz 'bout two weeks and longer,.. first i give 'em a light molasses tea mix for a week or so,and then 7-10 dayz, may a few dayz more.. with water only->no need for any chemmy stuff in my plants!
:character0103:

J

johnnyballbag

Premium Member
Supporter
hahahahahaaaa.

i read the thread title and said to myself, "Like anyone else. I push the lil level on the toilet"

either that, or prune juice.

then i remembered i was on the farm. lol

I was talking to a friend about setting up a a couple of res's, he wanted to have an auto drain feature. I told him i could use a handle from a toilet. How hilarious would that be? Pull the flush level and your res drains, haha.

S

snowkitty

I see you are asking about a standard flush before harvest (I think?). I have also heard about people in favor of a weekly flush...those who criticise the weekly flush say that growers who overfeed or use poor quality ingredients are the ones who need a weekly flush... I am just repeating the two sides of it that I have seen...I do not have enough experience to provide an opinion. But it seems reasonable that there could be benefits to a weekly flush...one day or 36 hours of pure water before a rez change.

J

johnnyballbag

Premium Member
Supporter
Yes, i was asking about the final flush before harvest. And i've done a weekly flush before, but it was in a very small system so it wasn't difficult to do. I've just noticed that when you have your room dialed, a 2 week flush can be over-doing it when talking about a high performance hydro system.

T

TheNman

I flush for about 7 days, depending on my turnover situation....

I empty the rez and tables as much i can, then put pure phed water in, then do that again the next day so 1500ppm water doesn't just go down to 800ppm.
It ends up being about 350ppm, which goes for about 7 days.

C

chickenn

dirt grubber here. and i flush a minimum of 2 weeks, closer to 3 most times, i do a heavy flush. twice the volume of the container, and then a good watering to runoff for a couple times, then a good heavy flush, and then water to a good runoff until chop.

i don't run my nutes hard though, just what they need. and i use fox farm big bloom in the flush. helps loosen any salts.

J

johnnyballbag

Premium Member
Supporter
A weekly flush being for people who overfeed is kind of silly, IMO. Every overfed plant i've ever seen, well you can spot it a mile away! I don't see how a flush would do anything to magically restore the plant to it's original state. I've heard that argument before also. Funny how every time i did a weekly flush, i'd have a surge of growth. And i've NEVER been a heavy feeder of my plants.

Top Bottom