How do YOU get clones to root in rockwool?

• Thread starter marski420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
marski420

marski420

Success! this is the only 1 thats rooted but some of the others feel tight to the rockwool. Only problem I have now is the fact I went and confused myself on which cut is which.. Next time Im gunna stick tags through the top of the rockwool with the appropriate pheno code on it.. I have a bunch of new cuts of for sure females so I might as well do it to those. My first ever rooted clone, I feel like a boss haha.

All pictures 375
All pictures 376

marski420

marski420

Big thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread it really taught me a lot about rockwool and cloning in general. I am very confident I can get 100% from here forward. Do you guys find the more top based cuts root faster and more successful than the lower thiner shoots? Thanks again everyone.

skuzz99

skuzz99

cool bro, good 2 hear ur success.
i like to keep it simple. just moisten, dip in clonex n keep humid til roots shows :)

ziplock

ziplock

F- aero cloners. Rockwool and a very little a and b, a little roots excell (or not) and time is all you need.

Heat mat will speed it up a bit but is not necessary.

I use GH micro and boom in very small amounts with R/O water. Bring it to about 250-350 ppm, ph of 5.8-6.1.

Prepare cubes by placing in a very light nutrient solution and roots excell (or not) and PH prep water to 4.0. Soak for 12 hours. Flush out cubes by holding lightly and do a modified throwing motion over the sink stopping your arm before it hits the sink. I do this 8 or so times per cube until 80% of the water is forced out of the cube.

I then PH adjust the water they were soaking in to 6.0 or so (the water will be very close to that PH already as the cubes alkalinity will naturally raise your presoak water's PH). I then use a siringe to apply a small amout of the PH'd water into each cube.

I then take each cut and place stright into cup of water with PH'd water for 10 seconds before placing in cube.

I use and 18/6 light schedule with florecent T5 lights. I get roots on 100% of my cuts using this method. Some take 6 days. Most take 10 days. Tough rooting strains have taken 3 weeks. But all eventually get roots.

Do not let cubes get too wet before roots appear. If you do they won't make roots. They don't drink much until they do get roots. So, you should only have to apply water on like the fifth or sixth day. But not too much! Use the weight of the cubes to determine whether or not they need water.
Thanks! Clear, concise and complete. I tried rock wool once and failed miserably. Have been using soil ever since. Your article pointed out several mistakes I made. I think I'll follow your instructions and give it another shot.

T

tootorqtTHC

Take cuttings from the lowest branches of healthy fresh strong lookin new shoots

N

Nog

I took 2 cuttings recently from different plants.

One I took a week before the other, and dipped that one in rooting hormone.

The other one I took a week later and forgot to use rooting hormone, and yet it rooted first, and rooted better.

So it seems rooting hormone is not all that its cracked up to be.

The only other difference between the cuttings is the one that rooted first was from a lower stiff branch, whereas the one that rooted later was from a top flexible branch.

M

Mattagins

wash hands,clip dip in root tech powder Great white, rockwool (I have faster and more success with peat pellets) soaked 5.0 couple drips of mammoth a cap of clonex solution a little mbferts vitamin hormone booster H&G root excel soak with air stone, get your cloning tray sterilize it. wash up some perlite or hydroton, wet your medium but never swimming, you want to create a little sterile sauna. place on pad surround with cfls or your choice of light. and my secret weapon.
mini ultrasonic fogger $9.99 in a glass cup filled with a little of your cube soak run off, top off glass every few days .the fogger is cheap it will lasts 2-3 months
wash your hand take a shower grab some gloves dont man handle your cuts be gentle, I use double edged shaving razor watch your fingers thin blade clean cuts pop in cube , i clip only any large leave weighting down the clones, always remove any dead/dying vegetation. i stack my cubes after soaking seems to wick out the excess down so get stacking, wrap entire tray with clones sitting on perlite and fogger in glass pumping fog wait 48hours.

Fogger.

Boom 1 of 1 4
Boom 1 of 1 5
RavynJax

RavynJax

Someone mentioned Clonex vs no Clonex and the clone rooted better without it. Note: Clonex is not designed to enhance root growth, it is to prevent bacteria, mold and diseases from forming in the cut area. Cloning without a rooting base is extremely risky and can easily cause problems. I frequently clone in rockwool, however, I do not presoak my rockwool. I simply get my water PH between 6 and 6.2, cut my clone material at an angle, scrape the bottom 1/4 inch bare, dip in clonex for approximately 2 minutes and insert into the rockwool. I then use an empty pocket in my grow dome to pour water into until it is touching the bottom of the rockwool cubes (you'll notice the rockwool turning dark orange, at that point stop adding water). Now spray each clone 12 to 15 time with a fine mist over the top and place on a heated rooting pad under light. I keep my domes between 90% and 95% humidity (yes, very high). Day 2 through 7, I open each dome and lightly mist each clone then I spray the inside of the dome cover, once in the morning and once in the evening. On day 8 my clones are ready for transplant. I typically do 12 clones at a time and I usually lose 1 clone which is usually in the middle of the clone dome. Another note: If you clone as I do at 90% humidity or higher, it is best to have a seperate cloning box or area away from your veg plants. Cloning in this high of humidity can cause mold issues (luckily I haven't had an issue). Between cloning periods, spray your clone box and area with a water & bleach mixture to sanitize and prevent mold growth. My clone box is a simple home made box made of wood and an old kitchen cabinet works well too.

Clone New

Latest posts

Top Bottom