How do you get the best flavor out of your grow?

• Thread starter Weedwhacke421
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Weedwhacke421

Weedwhacke421

So how do you get the best flavor out of your grow? I realize there are many factors for this, but I am talking about just the everyday grower trying to optimize what he can do from more experienced growers. I will use what I do as an example again because I am just starting to harvest my purple haze. First Off when is your bud ready to harvest. Is it when the Trichs are milky, or do you want to see an amber mix? I wait until I have roughly about 10% amber. Now does this have anything to do with the flavor or just what type of high you want. This is a picture of my bud (purple haze) when I just started to trim and dry it. I do believe that the strain has a lot to do with it but what can I do as a home grower to get the best out of the strain you have. My plants usually take between 4-6 days to dry before they are ready to cure. Once dry I will cut the buds off and place them into a quart jar filled up to about 2/3 full. The first two days I will burp them for about 15 minutes every four hours and then extend the burping time until I can't smell any of the weird ammonia smell. I like to give them a month to cure. I also grow without adding nutrients but will transfer them from a three-gallon pot in Veg stage to a 5-gallon pot two weeks before I switch them to flower mode to give them extra nutrients naturally. For the first time though I did try some Candy bud or bud candy on three of my plants to see the difference it might make. So with that can anyone tell me a better way to get the best flavor out of my grow. I better also add that my seeds are from ILGM. Thankyou

How do you get the best flavor out of your grow
How do you get the best flavor out of your grow 2
Buzzzz

Buzzzz

So how do you get the best flavor out of your grow? I realize there are many factors for this, but I am talking about just the everyday grower trying to optimize what he can do from more experienced growers. I will use what I do as an example again because I am just starting to harvest my purple haze. First Off when is your bud ready to harvest. Is it when the Trichs are milky, or do you want to see an amber mix? I wait until I have roughly about 10% amber. Now does this have anything to do with the flavor or just what type of high you want. This is a picture of my bud (purple haze) when I just started to trim and dry it. I do believe that the strain has a lot to do with it but what can I do as a home grower to get the best out of the strain you have. My plants usually take between 4-6 days to dry before they are ready to cure. Once dry I will cut the buds off and place them into a quart jar filled up to about 2/3 full. The first two days I will burp them for about 15 minutes every four hours and then extend the burping time until I can't smell any of the weird ammonia smell. I like to give them a month to cure. I also grow without adding nutrients but will transfer them from a three-gallon pot in Veg stage to a 5-gallon pot two weeks before I switch them to flower mode to give them extra nutrients naturally. For the first time though I did try some Candy bud or bud candy on three of my plants to see the difference it might make. So with that can anyone tell me a better way to get the best flavor out of my grow. I better also add that my seeds are from ILGM. Thankyou
Look at the plant as a whole for ripeness beyond trichrome color to recognize harvest time,timing definitely has an effect on flavor as the resin will change along with leaf content. Your final aroma is also plant specific as is persistence of it.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Look at the plant as a whole for ripeness beyond trichrome color to recognize harvest time,timing definitely has an effect on flavor as the resin will change along with leaf content. Your final aroma is also plant specific as is persistence of it.
Equally important to timing your harvest for peak ripeness is the dry and cure process. Summer months make it harder because without proper temp and humidity they dry too fast.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

I think it's mostly genetics and the curing process, but I have never messed with additives that claim to increase terps. Almost everything I grow has terps out the ying yang, so it never seemed important.

If a jar of buds has an ammonia smell, I'll leave it open until it is gone.

nashobaTHC

nashobaTHC

If you have ammonia smell in your jars, you jarred them way too soon. Not sure of your ambient humidity but 4-6 days sounds too quick. I cut and hang whole branches (or whole plants if spaces permits) to slow down drying process to take 7-10 days then remove buds for jarring. If still a bit damp after 10 days, put branches in brown paper bag for 12-24 hrs before jarring. Put in a small hygrometer in jar to check moisture and try to maintain 60% rh at about 60-65 F. You may need an AC in your drying room (with exhaust air vented outside) which will both cool and dry the air (critical prior to jarring). Ultimately trial and error based on your harvesting timing and drying conditions will determine flavor.

weed420420420420420

weed420420420420420

dehumidifier between 60 and 70% .
and a fan to keep air circulating.
Some people say just the fan...
Dry until the smaller stems snap. around 7 days.
Jar it up. dont slack off. get it all trimmed and jarred.
burp the jars at least a few times a day.
eventually you can stop doing that and just leave them...
as long as mold is not an issue. it will always be better in 2-3 months.

I'd say leaving it hang in the dry room and slacking off on the jarring has been my biggest downfall. it gets harsh if you let it overdry for several weeks like that. So dont just leave it hanging after 7-10 days.

you want it to stay around 60% humidity in the jars optimally. for the enzymes to continue breaking down the cloroforms and whatnot.

Last edited:
MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

dehumidifier between 60 and 70% .
and a fan to keep air circulating.
Some people say just the fan...
Dry until the smaller stems snap. around 7 days.
Jar it up. dont slack off. get it all trimmed and jarred.
burp the jars at least a few times a day.
eventually you can stop doing that and just leave them...
as long as mold is not an issue. it will always be better in 2-3 months.

I'd say leaving it hang in the dry room and slacking off on the jarring has been my biggest downfall. it gets harsh if you let it overdry for several weeks like that. So dont just leave it hanging after 7-10 days.
People who use only a fan are like me where RH is usually on the higher side year round. Your natural environment will play into how you set up your dry area ... The hardest part is drying during the summer months for me. It's near impossible to keep temps in the 60's in the drying area until fall.

K

Krprice84

Oh man, there is so much you can do to improve what you are getting.

First off, if the bud isn't for extracting, and it will be smoked,I prefer to allow up to 25 percent amber. All milky if it's being extracted, for the best clarity of the extract.

We use a "dying chamber" to dry our plants. Basically we took an Ikea cabinet with a double door on the left and a single door on the right. Sealed them up with weather stripping. Then installed a small 6 inch computer fan on the bottom of each side, sucking air in to the cabinet through a filter cloth. Then up top on each side, there are 4 4" holes, with a piece of paper over top of it with one edge of the paper taped down, so the paper acts as a flap that drops against the top of the cabinet when there is no air flow coming out the holes, but the paper will lift when air is coming out, and will allow the air to flow out of the cabinet.

Then inside the cabinet, there is a humidity controlled with an AC outlet controlled by the humidity level. This is set to about 65 on the left side (double door larger side), and about 59 on the right side (single door smaller side).

The large side acts as a drying chamber where we hang hole plants or hole branches, on ladies dress hangers which allow us to hang about 10 large branches on each hanger.

The right side is used as a curing chamber, and we have installed 1"x1"x14" wooden pieces, which act as rails for racks we've built out of 1"x1" wood, and screen door material. The buds are cut from the dried branches and left on the racks to cure in the chamber which is kept around 59 percent. After a few weeks, the buds are trimmed perfectly by hand, and they get put into Grove bags. These bags keep the inside environment at perfect humidity for curing and storing buds. No burping, no remembering anything, just throw the buds into the bags and basically forget. I like to go in every few weeks and open the bag and shake the buds up a bit, but that's just my own desire to smell and check on them, I've left a quarter pound bag (which holds about a half pound lol) for 3 or 4 months without opening it and it was perfect (and amazing) when I finally found it and opened it!

weed420420420420420

weed420420420420420

I'm gonna chop soon after I see milkies because october mold is an absolute motherfucker around here.

Weedwhacke421

Weedwhacke421

Oh man, there is so much you can do to improve what you are getting.

First off, if the bud isn't for extracting, and it will be smoked,I prefer to allow up to 25 percent amber. All milky if it's being extracted, for the best clarity of the extract.

We use a "dying chamber" to dry our plants. Basically we took an Ikea cabinet with a double door on the left and a single door on the right. Sealed them up with weather stripping. Then installed a small 6 inch computer fan on the bottom of each side, sucking air in to the cabinet through a filter cloth. Then up top on each side, there are 4 4" holes, with a piece of paper over top of it with one edge of the paper taped down, so the paper acts as a flap that drops against the top of the cabinet when there is no air flow coming out the holes, but the paper will lift when air is coming out, and will allow the air to flow out of the cabinet.

Then inside the cabinet, there is a humidity controlled with an AC outlet controlled by the humidity level. This is set to about 65 on the left side (double door larger side), and about 59 on the right side (single door smaller side).

The large side acts as a drying chamber where we hang hole plants or hole branches, on ladies dress hangers which allow us to hang about 10 large branches on each hanger.

The right side is used as a curing chamber, and we have installed 1"x1"x14" wooden pieces, which act as rails for racks we've built out of 1"x1" wood, and screen door material. The buds are cut from the dried branches and left on the racks to cure in the chamber which is kept around 59 percent. After a few weeks, the buds are trimmed perfectly by hand, and they get put into Grove bags. These bags keep the inside environment at perfect humidity for curing and storing buds. No burping, no remembering anything, just throw the buds into the bags and basically forget. I like to go in every few weeks and open the bag and shake the buds up a bit, but that's just my own desire to smell and check on them, I've left a quarter pound bag (which holds about a half pound lol) for 3 or 4 months without opening it and it was perfect (and amazing) when I finally found it and opened it!
Thank you for the info

A

Alwayssomething

I see Krprice that you have used Grove bags and seem happy with them. Has anyone else used them and what is the consensus from everybody on these, pros/cons? I'm thinking about giving them a try.

indogrow420

indogrow420

I see Krprice that you have used Grove bags and seem happy with them. Has anyone else used them and what is the consensus from everybody on these, pros/cons? I'm thinking about giving them a try.
I used a 1 Oz groove bag for a few buds a couple of months ago and they turned out fire.
Going to use them again next harvest but getting bigger ones, I couldnt fit my hand in that bag lol

Pros; less checking on buds, no plastic/baggie smell. uv protection , cheap, maybe re-usable, bag still smells of dank after being empty for two weeks .

Cons; anti static but seen a little when looking inside the bag some crystals were static clinged to the side , nothing bad just half aaz claims. Some bottom buds seemed to stick on the inside a day after bagging.

Last edited:
Clyde4210

Clyde4210

I think environment plays a huge role to by that I mean temps and humidity during grow.

Top Bottom