How Does Everyone Start Seeds For Hydro?

• Thread starter slimjimham
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
outnin

outnin

Slim. I would not recommend putting smaller seedlings into the UC but rather growing until larger in a rockwool cube, indepedent of the system.

Don't modify/complicate your system to accomadate the seedlings, but instead create a small preveg area to get them well under way before transplant into the system.
I completely agree with this assessment
and make sure your res temps are good as well. keep in mind plants grow roots in response to hunger if well fed a plant will not prioritize root development till it gets bigger then pow it gets real hungry so maybe just give em h2o at first pour the res solution just out of reach the will grow to it

S

singularity

You can see these ones air pruned directly in RR for a few days with very rapid growth, fast as can be. The rate is maintained when submerged as the roots don't experience any period of reduced access to air.

Those pruned tips are already exposed to flow and ready to explode into it. I just to move the one that you see here after a few hours and broke off a root that was already a few inches long and branching. The pic here is the same one moved a second time to make room for more after 24h submerged. I'm sure that I broke off more than you're seeing too. No big deal, growth will not be slowed, it already has a very dense root base... but not ball.

Note the root that's branching out from the stem at the very base, flush with the top of the rooter. That is after 1 day of being submerged flush with the water line, as you can see. It is almost as thick as the stem. Growth is not slowed, they are ready for submerging very quickly. This, is, the, right, and best way, to do it. Thank you.

When I pull these up btw, they will take most of the Hydroton with them.

Midwestjay

Midwestjay

You can see these ones air pruned directly in RR for a few days with very rapid growth, fast as can be. The rate is maintained when submerged as the roots don't experience any period of reduced access to air.

Those pruned tips are already exposed to flow and ready to explode into it. I just to move the one that you see here after a few hours and broke off a root that was already a few inches long and branching. The pic here is the same one moved a second time to make room for more after 24h submerged. I'm sure that I broke off more than you're seeing too. No big deal, growth will not be slowed, it already has a very dense root base... but not ball.

Note the root that's branching out from the stem at the very base, flush with the top of the rooter. That is after 1 day of being submerged flush with the water line, as you can see. It is almost as thick as the stem. Growth is not slowed, they are ready for submerging very quickly. This, is, the, right, and best way, to do it. Thank you.

When I pull these up btw, they will take most of the Hydroton with them.
Imo that water level is way too high

RoeBuck

RoeBuck

Grow the plants learger in rockwool to no less than 4 sets of true leaves before putting into the UC. Should be as vigous and stable as a strongly rooted cutting.

I usually have roots poking out the bottom of the rockwool by the time they have 2 sets of true leaves. I've been keeping them in a seedling tray and keep a little water in the tray. Not enough that the rockwool is sitting in the water, but enough that the root tips don't dry out. How do you manage yours so that the roots don't dry out until they get the full 4 sets of leaves?

Midwestjay

Midwestjay

I usually have roots poking out the bottom of the rockwool by the time they have 2 sets of true leaves. I've been keeping them in a seedling tray and keep a little water in the tray. Not enough that the rockwool is sitting in the water, but enough that the root tips don't dry out. How do you manage yours so that the roots don't dry out until they get the full 4 sets of leaves?
Man after my seeds crack mine go strait into the the wool and then strait into the buckets. Set the water level 1" above the bottom of the net, and hand feed a 1 cup of water daily. Seed sprouts after a day or so. Roots hit the water within the week usually. Then your off to the races.

RoeBuck

RoeBuck

Thanks, I've tried that before without much success. Getting the plants started fast has been my biggest issue in RDWC but after reading this thread I think I've had my water levels too low. I was concerned about keeping the rock wool too wet. So I've been starting my seeds under a 250 watt CFL I have set up here in the corner of my office and waiting until I've got roots out the bottom of these 3" cubes. These are the last seeds I'll be starting for awhile anyway except for mothers in dirt. I've got my first mothers ready to clone and a new DIY 8 pot RDWC veg system ready to go.

slimjimham

slimjimham

I'm trying something new, the make those raised inserts for the clone trays (think for rockwol), I'm putting my rapid rooters in there an there's about .5" of water on the bottom for the roots to hopefully grow into, then if I get the long roots like I expect I'll be able to poke them through the net pots and fill with rocks around that, should take off faster if it works out since roots will be on the water right off the bat...

Here's a link to the insert so you get an idea, lifts off the clone tray about an inch
https://www.amazon.com/Grodan-GL56707445-Gro-Smart-Tray-Insert/dp/B004PTFZ48

Last edited:
RoeBuck

RoeBuck

That's very similar to what I'm trying. I used a standard seedling tray, the kind with the ribbed bottom. I set one of those open, grid type nursery trays inside the seedling tray. That raises the rockwool up about 3/8". I'm keeping about 1/4" of water in the bottom of the tray. The rockwool isn't sitting directly in the water but the roots are now out the bottom and are directly in the water. My seedlings are two weeks old and have some roots sticking out over an inch. They are starting their 3rd set of true leaves. They are by far the nicest seedlings I've ever had in rockwool, so I'm pretty pleased and will try this method again in the future.

slimjimham

slimjimham

So here's the question... Should I just be using tap water with a little uc roots ( 30 ppm tap on 500 scale)

Or should I give them a light veg nutrient to bump up that to 100ppm?

Also when someone told me about this they said I should bubble the water which makes sense, you prob don't want stagnant water... But the airstone is out off the water a bit, causing less bubbling... I'm using the bar style stone since it's the most flat one I had. Is there a thinner air stone like a wafer?

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
The first two round leaves that pop out are called cotyledons, they contain the fertilizer the plant needs until they turn yellow and die so adding veg nute before then usually burns them. Uc roots could be added but isn't necessary.

RoeBuck

RoeBuck

So here's the question... Should I just be using tap water with a little uc roots ( 30 ppm tap on 500 scale)

Or should I give them a light veg nutrient to bump up that to 100ppm?

Also when someone told me about this they said I should bubble the water which makes sense, you prob don't want stagnant water... But the airstone is out off the water a bit, causing less bubbling... I'm using the bar style stone since it's the most flat one I had. Is there a thinner air stone like a wafer?

I start my seeds in rock wood plugs and only give them tap water. Once they are up and have rooted, I put the plugs into 3" square rock wood that I soak with Dyna Bloom, 2 ml per gallon. I'm using RO so I also add 2 ml of cal/mag. I just started this method recently and so far it's working well. Plants are 2 1/2 weeks and looking very good.

I wouldn't worry about bubbling the water for seedlings. If you want, bubble it in a bucket and use that to feed them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom