How does outdoor lighting effect plants?

• Thread starter pilot error
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

pilot error

I have a neighbor that installed a mercury light on his garage about a month or so back. At the time my plants were still small enough that the fence blocked the light from shining on them. Now there bigger and I just notice that the light shines on a good potion of them.

Will this light (which is approximately 50' away) effect my plants when it comes time to flower? Should I move them (digging them up) or leave them?

Thx
Pilot

O

Oatmeleon

No the light 50 feet away is to far to make a difference...I"ve had plants near a street lamp with no effect. This light was about 50- 60 feet away as well...

Oat

Irish

Irish

PE, my pole light shines on my plants every night. it is about 30-40 feet away, and has had no ill effects going on ten years in that spot.

the moon is much brighter than my mercury vapor.

keep her green...Irish...

P

pilot error

Thx Irish, but now I'm wondering why indoor plants are so touchy to light then.

T

the man with no

you cannot beat outdoor daylight - period , indoor light is a poor substitute - but then i guess thats not what you was asking, but its good to note anyway.

cheers

Z

zoeronerer

a friend of mine vegges in hawaii under a hps streetlight on a 20'pole the plants are near a ditch.....he uses this as an outdoor veg area.....i have seen it in action....could be strain dependent a little. but his plants didnt have a hair on them.......also the moon is different because its a kind of refracted light that dosent interupt photo period its not how bright its what kind of light it is. also the merc vapor leans on the green blue side of the spectrum plants notice these wavelengths the least.

mace

mace

The light loss from the lamps is probably too great for it to be much of a bother at that distance. Also, the sun has a way of showing the plant who the boss is when it comes to whether they think it's day time or not.

P

pilot error

Thx for the input all.

Mace I think you're on to something as far as the sun being boss. I'm guessing that the sun is so bright that the small amount of artificial light and/or moonlight has little effect.

Latest posts

Top Bottom